• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bird 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmaley

Afternoon from Iowa. I retired recently, after 31 years, of servicing different types of communications equipment for a large college. A lot of that time was out of a van. Management didn't mind if I brought a piece home to service my own Amateur equipment. Retirement left me with no bench. The one item I missed the most was my Bird 43, so I bought a nice used one with three slugs.
Wondering if this old piece of technology still gets used in field service? It worked for me. I had slugs up to 2.6GHz.
Also, can anyone recommend a good place to get the slugs?
Thanks in advance.
Dave...

BirkenVogt

Telewave makes a similar one but with no slugs. You must do correction factors for certain frequency ranges but for power measurement I usually do not care to be that precise. I mostly use an antenna analyzer for tuning whips now and radio transmitters just don't go bad much anymore so there is not as much call for a wattmeter as there used to be.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The Bird 43 is still the wattmeter of choice for field service. the Telewave's are ok, but you gotta remember the correction factor.

The Bird 43 is rated at 5% accuracy at full scale. The Telewave 44A is 6% full scale AFTER CORRECTION.

Both can be found on eBay. I frequently see Bird 43 slugs on eBay in the $60 class for clean ones. They can be field calibrated if you know what you're doing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yup, I still use a Bird 43, and have my own personal one at home. Slugs are available on e-Bay, but buyer beware as in all things.

While there are newer ones out there, it's hard to beat the simplicity and ruggedness of these. I've seen digital display versions, but I really prefer the analog meters for this sort of work. It's pretty safe buying the meters, themselves, used. There isn't much too the things. My personal one I purchased use and only had to replace the leather strap. The rest of it, while throughly beat up, still worked fine. Easy to find replacement parts for them. I've purchased a few slugs off e-Bay, and I've had good luck. I've got one that looks like it may have been tampered with, but it seems to be working OK.

dgmaley

Thanks for all the information. Glad to see this old piece of technology still gets used. I had access to metering from HP that was more accurate, but it wasn't something that could be bounced around in a van or as easy to set up.
The meter I now have was built in the 1980's. It has the original Simpson, made in USA, movement. The slugs are all metal with some gold plating. It looks like used slugs, that are in good shape and have had their calibration checked aren't that much less than new. The new ones now have some plastic and no more plating. Coaxial Dynamics slugs cost just a little more than used. EBay has this stuff all over the place.
Anyone had experience with Coaxial Dynamics in a Bird meter? I may just go that route.

Dave..

Status
Not open for further replies.