• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Standard Communications Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3ZWI

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm posting in regards to a Standard Communications Corporation GX3200V(AA) that I acquired from Ebay

(eBay item number: 221312403587) and I was wondering what the experience was with these rigs. The Store I purchased it from stated that there has been a lot of success in programming these radios for Amateur Radio frequencies (from what I was able to find on the FCC website, these are programmed for the 150Mhz range so I would presume the 2 Meter band would be all these radios could do).

Now, I did contact the company (comline.com.sg) if any documentation or anything was available and they responded saying these require an external box to program that is no longer available.

I would just like to get a conversation going about these little radios to see if anybody else had any experience with them.

Thanks and 73,

Kevin DE KB3ZWI

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
these radios date to the early 1990s.
unless you get a low split version (136-155), the 150-174 split (most common) require some retuning of the front end pre-selector for good (.3uv) sensitivity on the 2m band.

they require an old SLOW MS-DOS based computer such as a 386 or 486 with a working serial port to run the programming software.

the programming software is long gone as is any support from Standard (now Vertex Standard) though you may be able to find it on the net if you know where to look. Again, you can forget about trying to run it on any modern Windows XP/7/8 PC. This stuff was written when the fastest PC was a Pentium 90.

the programming interface is available from RFguys for around $40:
RFguys.com - Vertex Standard PPS/C Programming Cable GX-1500 GX-1510 GX-3200 GX-4800 GX-5800 GX-5810

these radios are relics, they were not particularly great in their day, I worked at a shop that was a Standard dealer in the mid 1990s and we didn't sell too many of them, mainly because of their pricing structure. They had problems with the PA decks failing intermittently.

Lookout for "time bomb" tantalum and electrolytic capacitors in these radios. My advice is put it on the bench and make sure it is working to spec on whatever it is programmed to now before investing the time and money in a programming cable and the hassle of cobbling together an ancient computer.

if the radio has other problems like bad caps, it may be better destined for the scrap pile.

KB3ZWI

these radios date to the early 1990s.
unless you get a low split version (136-155), the 150-174 split (most common) require some retuning of the front end pre-selector for good (.3uv) sensitivity on the 2m band.

they require an old SLOW MS-DOS based computer such as a 386 or 486 with a working serial port to run the programming software.

the programming software is long gone as is any support from Standard (now Vertex Standard) though you may be able to find it on the net if you know where to look. Again, you can forget about trying to run it on any modern Windows XP/7/8 PC. This stuff was written when the fastest PC was a Pentium 90.

the programming interface is available from RFguys for around $40:
RFguys.com - Vertex Standard PPS/C Programming Cable GX-1500 GX-1510 GX-3200 GX-4800 GX-5800 GX-5810

these radios are relics, they were not particularly great in their day, I worked at a shop that was a Standard dealer in the mid 1990s and we didn't sell too many of them, mainly because of their pricing structure. They had problems with the PA decks failing intermittently.

Lookout for "time bomb" tantalum and electrolytic capacitors in these radios. My advice is put it on the bench and make sure it is working to spec on whatever it is programmed to now before investing the time and money in a programming cable and the hassle of cobbling together an ancient computer.

if the radio has other problems like bad caps, it may be better destined for the scrap pile.

Thank you so much for the response MTS2000des, I really appreciate it. I will definitely get it on the bench and take a look at it. In the meantime, I sent an email to AMERadio because they have the software on their site for about $25.00( GX3200 ) so we'll see if by chance it is still available.

Thanks again.

KB3ZWI

I got a response from Edward from AMERadio.com and he stated that the software is in fact still available as a download. The cost is $26.00.

So I will take a look at the rig and see what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.