• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Beartooth Walkie Talkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Hello everyone

Not sure where exactly to post this because I am not totally sure what frequency this devices will be operating on. Dose anyone have any info on these devices? Such what part of VHF and UHF will they operate on? I have gone to the website and haven't found the answer. I found other faq info that you can talk between beartooth and regular radios but no where does it say what freq.

Beartooth | Connection for Life

Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

ecps92

See the many Prior Threads on this Start-up Project
The RadioReference.com Forums - Search Results

Hello everyone

Not sure where exactly to post this because I am not totally sure what frequency this devices will be operating on. Dose anyone have any info on these devices? Such what part of VHF and UHF will they operate on? I have gone to the website and haven't found the answer. I found other faq info that you can talk between beartooth and regular radios but no where does it say what freq.

Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

KB0VWG

I found the info

Beartooth deefus • a year ago

We appreciate your interest in our product.
For the consumer application, the device will operate in both MURS and FRS/GMRS, FCC part 95 devices.
For Amateur Radio HAM applications it will operate on the 2m and 70cm (440) bands, FCC part 97 devices.
For commercial, industrial and public safety applications it will operate in the bands outside MURS, FRS/GMRS, 2m, and 70cm, FCC part 90 devices.
Being a Software Defined Radio we are taking all the steps necessary to insure the mobile device application will strictly keep the device within FCC specifications for each part we will be getting certifications for.
Additionally, what was demo’d was a first run prototype, we are currently optimizing the industrial design to fit the multiple use cases we presented, stay tuned as we develop the design further.
We look forward to you trying our final product as I’m sure it will meet and exceed

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
They've been running into problmes with certification. When they took the project on they didn't realize what a pain it would be to obtain proper type acceptance.

After 3 years and 2 (now almost 3) different revisions of iPhone I see this as nothing more than a toy. It's cost prohibitive considering the fact it marries you to a specific model of phone and with the average phone user upgrading every 2 years...the product literally requires it be updated every 2 years (whenever the user updates the phone). To be competitive with GoTenna price would have to be around $200. So 10 years of service, 5 Beartooths at $200 a piece puts you in a cost of ownership bracket that is somewhere between a single band Motorola Apex and dual band Motorola Apex (not to mention the fact you get replaceable antennas and a ruggedized platform). Just doesn't make sense when you sit down and write it all out.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
An interesting idea, but the realities get in the way.

FCC is very clear about MURS, they will not type accept a MURS radio that includes any other service.

Such a product would be limited if it had FRS, since that would limit it to a non-removeable antenna. Most of us know that the antenna makes all the difference.

Would have made more sense to put all this effort into a dedicated radio that was tailored for outdoor recreation. I'd be surprised if this ever hits the market.

KB0VWG

I agree

I do see them as being a very cool device but I agree with you they can get very expensive if you change phones every 2 years or less.
The other question I have is how are they going to prevent people from using the 2 meter or the 70 cm section of the radio that are not licensed? What you have to enter your callsign to unlock that portion of the radio? Anyone can come up with a fake callsign
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

QUOTE=W5PKY;2519008]They've been running into problmes with certification. When they took the project on they didn't realize what a pain it would be to obtain proper type acceptance.

After 3 years and 2 (now almost 3) different revisions of iPhone I see this as nothing more than a toy. It's cost prohibitive considering the fact it marries you to a specific model of phone and with the average phone user upgrading every 2 years...the product literally requires it be updated every 2 years (whenever the user updates the phone). To be competitive with GoTenna price would have to be around $200. So 10 years of service, 5 Beartooths at $200 a piece puts you in a cost of ownership bracket that is somewhere between a single band Motorola Apex and dual band Motorola Apex (not to mention the fact you get replaceable antennas and a ruggedized platform). Just doesn't make sense when you sit down and write it all out.[/QUOTE]

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I do see them as being a very cool device but I agree with you they can get very expensive if you change phones every 2 years or less.
The other question I have is how are they going to prevent people from using the 2 meter or the 70 cm section of the radio that are not licensed? What you have to enter your callsign to unlock that portion of the radio? Anyone can come up with a fake callsign
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Same way it's done with the low end Chinese radios, it's not. Nothing is going to stop someone from putting these on amateur if they'll allow it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello everyone

Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992
. These will operate on MURS, so .....OLD news. :roll: 73, n9zas

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

. These will operate on MURS, so .....OLD news. :roll: 73, n9zas

Originally they were going for a VHF/UHF dual band radio that was typed for everything.

Now at some point they sat down and noticed the fixed antenna regulation (which frankly made the LMR aspect of their dream unreachable). Then they wanted to offer a license free version running on MURS and FRS/GMRS but with the trouble ATT has been having with the 8R Series Part 95J isn't currently a practical solution. So unless they decide to sell it as a Part 90 device it will only be Part 95.

And like I said, GoTenna operates on MURS (is already type accepted, and is shipping) but is tethered through any phone running Andriod or iOS via Bluetooth instead of a Galaxy or iPhone 5 and newer via USB.

liquidsilver

Not for me....Here's why:

1. Proprietary Radio - No FRS, GMRS, or 2M compatibility I can buy many alternatives for under $125/unit that are NOT proprietary.
2. Limited disclosure - Check out tech specs on their web site. (https://beartooth.zendesk.com/hc/en-us)
3. Scary Attorneys: Read their Terms and Conditions (https://www.beartooth.com/terms)
4. Add another battery to keep track of? No thank you.
5. Some people may not know that phones go dead very fast in the area types where you'd use Beartooth. This is because the phone is hunting for a cell signal constantly.

The graphics on the web site sure are pretty though.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
1. Proprietary Radio - No FRS, GMRS, or 2M compatibility I can buy many alternatives for under $125/unit that are NOT proprietary.
2. Limited disclosure - Check out tech specs on their web site. (https://beartooth.zendesk.com/hc/en-us)
3. Scary Attorneys: Read their Terms and Conditions (https://www.beartooth.com/terms)
4. Add another battery to keep track of? No thank you.
5. Some people may not know that phones go dead very fast in the area types where you'd use Beartooth. This is because the phone is hunting for a cell signal constantly.

The graphics on the web site sure are pretty though.
. Not that I'd really want that thing, but most smartphones can be put on airplane mode to drastically save the battery effectively shutting off updates and most functions but not bluetooth so the beartooth function should be independent. 73, n9zas

blastco2

This thing has little resemblance to what was originally pitched. And as another has said, very cryptic specs. 900mhz and no stated mode or tx power. I'd rather use an ht with a speaker mic.....
This is right in there with the earl survival tablet....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

JASII

Memory Capacity
TECH SPECS

LOS Range: 5 Miles for Voice, 10 Miles for Text
NLOS Range: 2 Miles for Voice, 4 Miles for Text
900 MHz Digital Transceiver (US Spec: 902MHz - 928MHz)
1W Transmit Power (30dBm)
Up to -148dBm Receiver Sensitivity, 178dB Link Budget
Mesh Networking for Extended Range
FSK and LoRa Modulation with Frequency Hopping
AES 256-Bit Encryption
Bluetooth 2.0 Connection to Smartphone
4 Day Battery Life (5/5/90 Duty Cycle)
3000mAh Battery (1.75x iPhone 6S Battery Capacity)
USB Type-C Port With Fast Bi-Directional Charging (2.1A)
2.44" x 4.0" x 0.49" and 4.5oz

GoTenna was first to market, but this should be a better device if it is what it is purported to be. I love the competition and perhaps GoTenna will step up their game to compete with the Beartooth!

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

TECH SPECS

LOS Range: 5 Miles for Voice, 10 Miles for Text
NLOS Range: 2 Miles for Voice, 4 Miles for Text
900 MHz Digital Transceiver (US Spec: 902MHz - 928MHz)
1W Transmit Power (30dBm)
Up to -148dBm Receiver Sensitivity, 178dB Link Budget
Mesh Networking for Extended Range
FSK and LoRa Modulation with Frequency Hopping
AES 256-Bit Encryption
Bluetooth 2.0 Connection to Smartphone
4 Day Battery Life (5/5/90 Duty Cycle)
3000mAh Battery (1.75x iPhone 6S Battery Capacity)
USB Type-C Port With Fast Bi-Directional Charging (2.1A)
2.44" x 4.0" x 0.49" and 4.5oz

GoTenna was first to market, but this should be a better device if it is what it is purported to be. I love the competition and perhaps GoTenna will step up their game to compete with the Beartooth!

Well...that's a complete redesign/overhauld of what it was announced to be back in 2013 and through February of 2016. Glad they listened to all of the criticism (though their numbers are a little generous for the NLOS estiments, try more like 5% BLOS). They just had to pick the 900 MHz ISM band though...so much crap there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.