• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson 5300 not making sound when receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimera388

I just finished installing my EF Johnson 5300 in my POV, and I've run into a problem. When the radio is receiving a transmission on any frequency, it doesn't seem to activate the speaker. The green light goes on indicating it is receiving, but no sound comes out of the radio. I know that the speaker is working, because if I put it on scan, I head RF noise as usual. Additionally, I don't hear any beeps when it powers on, or when I press buttons. Transmit works fine on both simplex and duplex channels. Any ideas?

chimera388

Thanks John. I checked the jumper and it's in the 1-3 position, which should be correct for internal speaker.

k9wkj

i know its not a johnson but i have a moto cm-200 that had no audio via the internal speaker it was supposed to have (has a grill for it)
turns out that radio was available with a no speaker option even though it has a face plate for it and the kicker is the speaker is in there but they put heat shrink on the wire ends going to the speaker
must have been cheaper to leave it in there then make a run of fill plates

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
i know its not a johnson but i have a moto cm-200 that had no audio via the internal speaker it was supposed to have (has a grill for it)
turns out that radio was available with a no speaker option even though it has a face plate for it and the kicker is the speaker is in there but they put heat shrink on the wire ends going to the speaker
must have been cheaper to leave it in there then make a run of fill plates

Never seen that before…always seen disconnected speakers as the later commercial radios didn't have the circuitry to enable/disable the internal speaker when an external was used like the radius chassis radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP stated that noise comes from the speaker when scan is activated, not a speaker problem. In the programming software the beeps can be turned off. I would look at the CTCSS (aka PL receive tones) are correct). The programming for the 5300 can be confusing when working with multiple zones but setting up an individual channel is pretty easy. There is a problem with the 5300 not receiving which can be a defective RF board. I had three 5300's with no RX, just got one back from our depot service, need to send the others in. BTW what series is the 5300? You need the correct programming software for the version radio that you have. You can map one of the push buttons to monitor, when the button is pressed the radio reverts to carrier squelch on receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.