RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM

The shutdown wouldn't explain why it gets to the window for what version you must have and no matter what, you can't get past that point. But then again if the server is down it might actually. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. I also know that when I added a GMRS license just a few months ago, this computer ran it fine.

I guess I should wait until everything is back to normal until I try again.

Searching ULS is fine. Applying for a new license is the hang up.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 01-22-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2018, 4:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
The shutdown wouldn't explain why it gets to the window for what version you must have and no matter what, you can't get past that point. But then again if the server is down it might actually. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. I also know that when I added a GMRS license just a few months ago, this computer ran it fine.

I guess I should wait until everything is back to normal until I try again.

Searching ULS is fine. Applying for a new license is the hang up.

I was just able to log in fine a couple minutes ago. The GMRS system is entirely different (at least it was when I applied) and didn't require this nonsensical "software" that they require for the business band application. You have to make sure the Java is just right, the browser is just right, etc. or it is absolutely going to fail. I followed the steps exactly in this thread and it worked fine.

If you absolutely can't get it working in the next couple days, let me know and perhaps I could do it for you.

As I mentioned in another unrelated thread, the FCC has more bodies than they know what to do with. Have been to their headquarters in DC multiple times. They have secretaries for secretaries of secretaries. People just doing nothing in cubicles. If they wanted to fix this, they could have it fixed in a matter of weeks, using a decent, updated system that actually works, or even a web-based solution that does not require Java. The real issue is that (I feel) they don't want normal people applying for licenses. The radio shops and frequency coordinators are all going to have some old outdated computer sitting around dedicated to nothing but doing these applications. So they're fine. The FCC knows that. I promise you that any major company, or frequency coordinator, or public service agency, has absolutely zero problems with this software. And that's exactly how they want it.
Old 01-23-2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuete View Post
I was just able to log in fine a couple minutes ago. The GMRS system is entirely different (at least it was when I applied) and didn't require this nonsensical "software" that they require for the business band application. You have to make sure the Java is just right, the browser is just right, etc. or it is absolutely going to fail. I followed the steps exactly in this thread and it worked fine.

If you absolutely can't get it working in the next couple days, let me know and perhaps I could do it for you.

As I mentioned in another unrelated thread, the FCC has more bodies than they know what to do with. Have been to their headquarters in DC multiple times. They have secretaries for secretaries of secretaries. People just doing nothing in cubicles. If they wanted to fix this, they could have it fixed in a matter of weeks, using a decent, updated system that actually works, or even a web-based solution that does not require Java. The real issue is that (I feel) they don't want normal people applying for licenses. The radio shops and frequency coordinators are all going to have some old outdated computer sitting around dedicated to nothing but doing these applications. So they're fine. The FCC knows that. I promise you that any major company, or frequency coordinator, or public service agency, has absolutely zero problems with this software. And that's exactly how they want it.
I can log in and actually get to apply for new license, select IG (Business) and that's when it hangs. Have cleared Java and reinstalled Java 1.6.045 (32 Bit) like the message says and the pointers in this thread and still get's frozen at that point.

I would love for someone to actually try to get to the page for applying and not just searching licenses or logging in. Not trying to be rude here, but everyone who says it works fine for them are just logging in and searching for licenses. Has anyone actually aplied for a new business license in the last 3 days.

I'll try again and post the message it keeps going to.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 01-23-2018 at 4:41 AM..
Old 01-23-2018, 4:46 AM

This is the message:

The FCC recommends downloading Java Sun 1.6 plug-in for Online Filing.
Please verify that you have Sun's Java Plug-in installed and that it is enabled for your
browser (version 1.6.0_45 is recommended).

To get the supported version of Sun's Java plug-in click here

I've tried 1.6.0_45 which is the 64 bit. I've tried 1.6.0_43 which is the 32 bit version. I've tried 1.7 which someone said is the last version it will run on. I've tried 1.5 which won't install on my computer,

Like I say ULS is working for me. Getting to the actual age for IG application. Isn't happening.
Old 01-23-2018, 5:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
I would love for someone to actually try to get to the page for applying and not just searching licenses or logging in. Not trying to be rude here, but everyone who says it works fine for them are just logging in and searching for licenses. Has anyone actually aplied for a new business license in the last 3 days.
Yes, we are talking about the same thing.. I am not searching for licenses. I'm opening up their application to apply for a license (IG). It works 100% fine for me. I am in there literally as I type this. I can modify applications, apply for a new one, etc.

That error you are getting is the same exact error I was getting initially before I got the Java and browser issue sorted out. I had to go back to an extremely old version of Firefox as well to use their software. Have you done that, or are you trying to use a current version? It isn't just the Java that causes problems.

It took me a couple days to get mine sorted out initially, and it's a major hassle.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2018, 5:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is the form you want. This is a screenshot from about 2 minutes ago.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuete View Post
Yes, we are talking about the same thing.. I am not searching for licenses. I'm opening up their application to apply for a license (IG). It works 100% fine for me. I am in there literally as I type this. I can modify applications, apply for a new one, etc.

That error you are getting is the same exact error I was getting initially before I got the Java and browser issue sorted out. I had to go back to an extremely old version of Firefox as well to use their software. Have you done that, or are you trying to use a current version? It isn't just the Java that causes problems.

It took me a couple days to get mine sorted out initially, and it's a major hassle.
Frustrated that's all. So what version of Firefox worked for you.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 AM

answered that question. Firefox 3.6.28.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Haha! Did you finally get in?

I want to say I was using 52, but I'm not 100% sure. I would have to tell you when I get home. If you haven't gotten in yet, I think I still have all the downloads saved at home, Java and Firefox. I could definitely send her your way.
Old 01-23-2018, 5:36 PM

I'm in and half filled out. Just need to do some more research on itinerant frequencies on LO-VHF, HI-VHF and UHF. I'd like a fixed station at my winter residence, but am thinking it's cheaper and easier just do an itinerant and have a temp fixed at my residence when I am there.

Since you seem to have done this before and live just south of my winter residence, would it be okay to PM you for some assistance.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 01-23-2018 at 5:50 PM..
Old 01-23-2018, 6:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Awesome! Glad you finally got it going. Finicky system for sure.

Feel free to PM me.
Old 01-29-2018, 3:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've done lots of STAs but need to get a license for my new office. Can I do all the ULS filings and just get my freqs from a coordinator?
So far all the licensing sites I've looked at want to do all the work and charge accordingly.
milf CAN'T hear me, I've got private line