• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC ULS Java broswer nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Howdie,

I am trying to add a few itinerant frequencies to my fixed location part 90 license. I was hoping to make it happen in a week or less for an upcoming event.

I see that the FCC hasnt fixed their idiotic caveman revision java issue since I last tried to do anything on there.

They suggest Java 7 and offer a link, but the link sends one to a page that says that java 7 wont be given out any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to modify an application short of printing the form out an mailing it in?

Am using Windows 7. Firefox or IE

Rick

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, but welcome to the club. The slow and buggy system they use gets really annoying after a while.

I'd be afraid to complain too much, for fear the government will try to fix it and we'll never find anything again.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
When I modified for Narrow Banding, I called for help . The lady I spoke with laughed and pointed me to a special thing they had set up just for doing the Narrow Band thing that didn't need Java to run.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Java 7u80 is the last version that the pitiful ULS app will run on. You have to create an Oracle account to download it, however it costs nothing and only take a minute or so.

Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 7

I do not recommend running this version of Java on any computer that you care about, so proceed carefully. If install it temporarily, you will have to remove Java 8 first. Do your ULS thing, then uninstall it and reinstall the latest version of Java 8.

romanr

Java 32-bit was the 'hint' that helped me most

When I was struggling with this earlier this year, the one 'hint' that got me going was to download the 32-bit version of Java, even though I have a 64-bit machine and 64-bit Win7 on the old machine I re-assembled just for this task. YMMV, but this was the key for me.... Good Luck.

The lady at the FCC that handled my call was commendably friendly and competent. I was quite pleasantly surprised. She may have said this and I missed it.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Thanks,

I will pick up a 6 pack of beer tonight and try again.

As long as I am adding itinerant frequencies to a regular license, I figure I will add every one there is all at once for one filing fee. This will "take a while".

Rick

kk6696

GTR8000 is absolutely correct about having to use that version of Java and creating an Oracle account. You won't find help anywhere on the ULS website that explains this (I spent a Sunday trying every link under the sun), and their Web link to download Java doesn't even go to a version that works. The FCC phone support people are very helpful and know what to do, if all else fails. They have to be getting this call on an hourly basis.

Also, if you have Windows 10, you may have to go in "Settings" and uncheck automatic updates, to keep your system from trying to get that vulnerable version of Java outta there, until you're done. Then update it quickly. Also, if I recall correctly, Safari would not work on the ULS. I tried to add some emission modes to my business license and it was a nightmare, until I called the FCC on the following Monday. Wish I had seen something like these posts above mine!

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I tried downgrading and within 10 minutes my PC picked up a couple of viruses. Very scary.

I have an old laptop hanging around that I will try to get up and running for this one task.

swen_out_west

So I was trying to file for an itinerant frequency and my frustration led my to doing a google search and came to this thread.

You would figure that after over 1 1/2 years they would have fixed these issues.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
So I was trying to file for an itinerant frequency and my frustration led my to doing a google search and came to this thread.

You would figure that after over 1 1/2 years they would have fixed these issues.

You're really kidding, aren't you? Look who you're dealing with.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Well it was kidding and venting all at the same time. I remember doing this before but somehow my computer installed Java 8 and then it was back to square one.

I just went through this process, and just used a separate computer to do it. I guess I could have used a VM as well. It's just such a damn hassle. Then when I did finally get it all figured out and got into the system, it wouldn't pull my information properly (business) wasn't matching up with my FRN, etc. If they're going to make it like this, might as well just go back to paper. It would be SO much easier.

D

DaveNF2G

Evidently the government shutdown includes the FCC servers. Data can be requested but the searches never complete.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Evidently the government shutdown includes the FCC servers. Data can be requested but the searches never complete.

There's no one to work on the x36 servers, They're due to go on display at the Smithsonian sometime this year. :)

I have a VirtualBox VM running XP with Java 7.0.400.43 / platform SE 7 U40 for ULS only.

I just did a name search on ULS and got a response (yes, it was the right one too)

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe it was just down over the weekend. There was supposed to be a vote at 01:00 EST today to end the shutdown.

FAA.gov was also not responsive to searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.