RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 6:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FCC ULS Java broswer nonsense

Howdie,

I am trying to add a few itinerant frequencies to my fixed location part 90 license. I was hoping to make it happen in a week or less for an upcoming event.

I see that the FCC hasnt fixed their idiotic caveman revision java issue since I last tried to do anything on there.

They suggest Java 7 and offer a link, but the link sends one to a page that says that java 7 wont be given out any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to modify an application short of printing the form out an mailing it in?

Am using Windows 7. Firefox or IE

Rick

WA1NIC, WQAV-895, WPIH-815, PG0111912
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2016, 7:37 PM

No, but welcome to the club. The slow and buggy system they use gets really annoying after a while.

I'd be afraid to complain too much, for fear the government will try to fix it and we'll never find anything again.
Old 09-20-2016, 7:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a win 7 comp that I uninstalled all Java and did the specific version they said with Firefox.
Old 09-20-2016, 8:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The version of Java they recommend cant be found any more as far as I could figure.

Old 09-20-2016, 8:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When I modified for Narrow Banding, I called for help . The lady I spoke with laughed and pointed me to a special thing they had set up just for doing the Narrow Band thing that didn't need Java to run.

Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2016, 8:22 PM
Troublemaker
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Java 7u80 is the last version that the pitiful ULS app will run on. You have to create an Oracle account to download it, however it costs nothing and only take a minute or so.

Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 7

I do not recommend running this version of Java on any computer that you care about, so proceed carefully. If install it temporarily, you will have to remove Java 8 first. Do your ULS thing, then uninstall it and reinstall the latest version of Java 8.
Old 09-20-2016, 8:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok... I didnt realize that it was free... I'll attack it again tomorrow.

Old 09-21-2016, 9:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Java 32-bit was the 'hint' that helped me most

When I was struggling with this earlier this year, the one 'hint' that got me going was to download the 32-bit version of Java, even though I have a 64-bit machine and 64-bit Win7 on the old machine I re-assembled just for this task. YMMV, but this was the key for me.... Good Luck.

The lady at the FCC that handled my call was commendably friendly and competent. I was quite pleasantly surprised. She may have said this and I missed it.
Old 09-21-2016, 9:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks,

I will pick up a 6 pack of beer tonight and try again.

As long as I am adding itinerant frequencies to a regular license, I figure I will add every one there is all at once for one filing fee. This will "take a while".

Rick

Old 10-14-2016, 4:44 PM

GTR8000 is absolutely correct about having to use that version of Java and creating an Oracle account. You won't find help anywhere on the ULS website that explains this (I spent a Sunday trying every link under the sun), and their Web link to download Java doesn't even go to a version that works. The FCC phone support people are very helpful and know what to do, if all else fails. They have to be getting this call on an hourly basis.

Also, if you have Windows 10, you may have to go in "Settings" and uncheck automatic updates, to keep your system from trying to get that vulnerable version of Java outta there, until you're done. Then update it quickly. Also, if I recall correctly, Safari would not work on the ULS. I tried to add some emission modes to my business license and it was a nightmare, until I called the FCC on the following Monday. Wish I had seen something like these posts above mine!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I tried downgrading and within 10 minutes my PC picked up a couple of viruses. Very scary.

I have an old laptop hanging around that I will try to get up and running for this one task.

Old 01-20-2018, 9:33 PM

So I was trying to file for an itinerant frequency and my frustration led my to doing a google search and came to this thread.

You would figure that after over 1 1/2 years they would have fixed these issues.
Old 01-20-2018, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
So I was trying to file for an itinerant frequency and my frustration led my to doing a google search and came to this thread.

You would figure that after over 1 1/2 years they would have fixed these issues.
You're really kidding, aren't you? Look who you're dealing with.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Well it was kidding and venting all at the same time. I remember doing this before but somehow my computer installed Java 8 and then it was back to square one.
Old 01-21-2018, 1:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
Well it was kidding and venting all at the same time. I remember doing this before but somehow my computer installed Java 8 and then it was back to square one.
I just went through this process, and just used a separate computer to do it. I guess I could have used a VM as well. It's just such a damn hassle. Then when I did finally get it all figured out and got into the system, it wouldn't pull my information properly (business) wasn't matching up with my FRN, etc. If they're going to make it like this, might as well just go back to paper. It would be SO much easier.
Old 01-21-2018, 7:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Evidently the government shutdown includes the FCC servers. Data can be requested but the searches never complete.
Old 01-21-2018, 7:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Evidently the government shutdown includes the FCC servers. Data can be requested but the searches never complete.
There's no one to work on the x36 servers, They're due to go on display at the Smithsonian sometime this year.
Old 01-21-2018, 8:14 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
It works just fine for me.
Old 01-22-2018, 2:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a VirtualBox VM running XP with Java 7.0.400.43 / platform SE 7 U40 for ULS only.

I just did a name search on ULS and got a response (yes, it was the right one too)
you must be really bored to be reading this far down
Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe it was just down over the weekend. There was supposed to be a vote at 01:00 EST today to end the shutdown.

FAA.gov was also not responsive to searches.