RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 2:57 PM

Default Private Trunking or Conventional?

First off, let me say that if this is in the wrong location on the forum, I apologize.

Secondly, let me explain the situation and why I made this post.
*Disclaimer - I'm no where near an expert on radio comms, just a little bit to be dangerous; I am talking to a couple companies to get things moving forward, but the more input I can get, the better.

I'm starting a private security company (finally putting the old military & police training to use for myself instead of other companies) and I am trying to decide which direction to go in lieu of radio communications.

A previous company that I worked for had problems with someone harassing us over the air during our shifts (vulgar language, wild goose chases, hot mics, etc) and I want to try to avoid that as much as possible. Would a digital trunking system be best to avoid these types of issues or would it be completely overkill for the 60+ people that we have? Is there a conventional way to keep the unwanteds off of our frequency or are we stuck with hoping that people will abide by the law?

I already anticipate having a couple repeaters put in place to cover our operation area, but would the price and hassle of a trunking system give me a heart attack?
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2017, 3:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes if its Motorola DMR with RAS no one can mess with you again
Old 04-17-2017, 3:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A startup company IMO would be best to rent/lease radios from an existing supplier. A quick Google search showed me at least one two-way shop near you that will both rent conventional radios and rent space on their wide-area trunk system. As mentioned above, the trunk systems that are in use today have encryption and other features that will ensure your privacy.
Old 04-20-2017, 7:36 AM

Appreciate the input guys. Based on Jay's suggestion, I did search around and come across TriConnex which offers a digital trunking repeater system covering our area and then some and we won't have to break the bank.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-20-2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laythrom View Post
Appreciate the input guys. Based on Jay's suggestion, I did search around and come across TriConnex which offers a digital trunking repeater system covering our area and then some and we won't have to break the bank.

Thanks guys.
Not as primary comm system, however you might you consider the Zello app for your phone as secure private channel between managers..

That is what I did.
Sponsored links

Tags
private, security, trunk, trunking