RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 5:44 PM

Default recommendations for mobile repeater

I've got a number of systems I manage and hire out, and for a job starting in the summer I need to equip a small van with a repeater for on site coverage on UHF. Most of my kit is Kenwood - lots of analogue and a smaller amount of Nexedge. This one will be very simple - low power - no more than 5W or so, separate antennae so no duplexer, 12V only operation - but modest in size. I do have a TYT TR-50 that I'm not that impressed with, but that size would be great, although I can go a little larger. It's unlikely I'll recover the purchase price on the job, so although I'd like something 'clever', it's really not necessary.

Does anyone have an favourite smallish repeaters they'd recommend?
Thanks Paul
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulears View Post
I've got a number of systems I manage and hire out, and for a job starting in the summer I need to equip a small van with a repeater for on site coverage on UHF. Most of my kit is Kenwood - lots of analogue and a smaller amount of Nexedge. This one will be very simple - low power - no more than 5W or so, separate antennae so no duplexer, 12V only operation - but modest in size. I do have a TYT TR-50 that I'm not that impressed with, but that size would be great, although I can go a little larger. It's unlikely I'll recover the purchase price on the job, so although I'd like something 'clever', it's really not necessary.

Thanks Paul
You can take a look at this site: Pyramid Communications Home - Pyramid Communications

They have some nice equipment that can be configured for many uses. They are not rock bottom in price, but they do work well and the people there are good to work with.
Old 05-05-2017, 6:07 PM

Since you have NXDN radios, are you interested in a repeater that will do both analog and NXDN?

An NXR-800 will do 5 watts. It's one rack unit, so easy to stick in a rack mount or rack mount case. It's got separate TX and RX antenna ports. Runs off 12 volts.

Trouble is, the NXR-800 has been replaced by the NXR-5800, which is probably more than what you want. None the less, there may still be some new NXR-800's out there at dealers or on the used market.

NXR-810 is a 25 to 50 watt unit, and be turned down to 5 watts if you want. List price is around 2K.
Old 05-05-2017, 6:08 PM

Thanks Jim - not a make I'd heard of here in the UK, and somewhat pricey, but thanks for the info. Size wise, they fit the bill though!
Mmckenna - I do have an 810 - which is a bit too big. maybe the 1U version could be squeezed in vertically, if I make up some brackets?

Last edited by paulears; 05-05-2017 at 6:13 PM..
Old 05-05-2017, 11:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Icom FR8000 if memory serves correctly. Should be a full duplex unit in a mobile former factor (similar to that of the R1225).

Of course, Simoco has the SRM9000 series mobiles which can be turned into a P25 repeater (or analog) if that functionality is needed.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 4:15 AM

Great - thanks for the suggestions. Paul
Old 05-06-2017, 12:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

NXR-810 can be removed from its rack mount frame. Cuts the width in half. Is that still too big? You'd have to cook up an alternate mounting scheme though.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Really? In that case, problem solved because I can live with the height, just 19" wide was too much for the space. I can easily make up mounting hardware - brilliant!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Do you check what a licence cost for you when use a repeater?
Here in Austria a Radio System cost x10 more than a DECT System or Cellphone Contract.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Licence is fine - I have a clutch of site specific and short term hire channels available to me for this project.
Old 05-18-2017, 3:49 PM

As suggested the NXR-800 if you want the digital NXDN, if you just want Analog or are looking at DMR then the Motorola SLR-5700 in a 19" or the SLR-1000 (Not sure if it is shipping yet) in the IP67 "pool" case. The 1000 is a 5700 repacked max 10 Watts.
Old 05-18-2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I need to equip a small van with a repeater for on site coverage on UHF... I do have a TYT TR-50 that I'm not that impressed with, but that size would be great, although I can go a little larger... It's unlikely I'll recover the purchase price on the job,

Thanks Paul
Do you mean a HYTERA TR-50? if so, please do not roll it in with Tytera junk.

If you have a mobile duplexer, then you should be set. even with a crappy mobile duplexer you should not have anywhere near 3dB of loss , unless you are using a pair that is less than 5MHz apart. I would not mess with trying to get dual antennas to work. Rather than spend money on a new repeater, use what you already have on hand, so you don't have to lose money on the venture
Old 05-18-2017, 4:38 PM

Sorry - meant HYT, but to be fair, this isn't the most reliable repeater being one of those designs where you take two handhelds and bung them in a case, tag the links onto the pcb, and add a power supply. I'm not keen to use a duplexers as they really don't like vibration, and two antennas seem the sensible way. It's looking like I might be able to get a Kenwood 810 into the van, if I bolt it to the bulkhead at the bottom, as it angles, and I have a few extra inches at floor level - Right angle connectors should do the trick. It looks like the van roof will need a few extra holes for this one. There are three at the moment already.
Old 05-18-2017, 4:39 PM

With out adequate vertical separation dual antennas will not work on a van, you will not get enough horizontal separation. Mobile duplexes are just that, duplexes mentioned for a mobile environment

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 4:48 PM

Really - I've rarely had issues doing this for years, as have the Police and numerous other organisations. UHF back-to back was a feature on loads of Police vehicles, and the broadcast OB vehicles I work with often have the similar system for their local talkback. There is certainly desense, but 6MHz or more split, it doesn't seem to have been a major headache. Vertical stacking is clearly better practice, and common on towers, but is there really a problem with limited area coverage?
Old 05-18-2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Really - I've rarely had issues doing this for years, as have the Police and numerous other organisations. UHF back-to back was a feature on loads of Police vehicles, and the broadcast OB vehicles I work with often have the similar system for their local talkback. There is certainly desense, but 6MHz or more split, it doesn't seem to have been a major headache. Vertical stacking is clearly better practice, and common on towers, but is there really a problem with limited area coverage?
All depends on terrain, and area you need to cover. Most modern receivers in portables/mobiles are pretty broad banded, not like the days of mitrek mobiles with helical preselectors. I would expect lots of desense, 6MHz is not a lot of frequency separation if trying to use dual antennas with only horizontal separation.

Old 05-18-2017, 5:00 PM

Take your point - will give it a shot I think. I'll report on the success or failure!
Old 05-18-2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Take your point - will give it a shot I think. I'll report on the success or failure!
Good luck. I hope it works out, no matter what you decide to do.

Old 05-18-2017, 5:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is actually a formula for figuring out...but Repeater-Builder has the guesstiment charts that Motorola built years ago for figuring out needed separation.
Old 05-23-2017, 4:06 AM

Quick report - so far the results are NOT encouraging. Kayn's prediction appear to be correct and the separation is not sufficient. In fact, so poor that I need a spacing of 11MHz before I get a system that would be usable. I had hoped that 8MHz would be acceptable but the repeater even on low power desenses the receiver far too much. I'm now on plan B. Kenwood repeater in a 4U rack, with a small fixed station duplexer, wrapped in foam in the 2U empty space, and a single antenna. Takes up far too much space, but appears to be a working solution.