RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 9:37 PM

I'm definitely checking into ritron, I need something that have a user friendly platform for the other guys who are gonna be trained on how to use it. So I'm looking into that. I'd love a Motorola dispatch console I could connect direct to a mobile, but I don't want to have to have a huge unit. I'd love a desktop dispatch console, and then the PA and portables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 9:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFBOSS View Post
"The height limitation simply means a limitation of the operating height of a station. For example 60 feet"

So they are not legal to use on top of a tall building? How about a window washer. Once he is over 60 feet off of the ground the radio is no longer legal to use?
95.1315 Antenna height restriction.
The highest point of any MURS antenna must no be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above the ground or 6.10 meters (20 feet) above the highest point of the structure on which it is mounted.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The more information learned about the situation, the more it leads me to believe that an SIP based paging solution would be a better physical fitness compared to an RF solution. With the "nearby" location I'd be willing to guess a PBX phone system is already in place. Comes down to adapting what you've got versus creating a purpose built solution. In the end, the IP based system leaves more room for future expansion and adaptation (plus no worries about licensing).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 10:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
95.1315 Antenna height restriction.
The highest point of any MURS antenna must no be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above the ground or 6.10 meters (20 feet) above the highest point of the structure on which it is mounted.
sort of confusing and nonsensical. It applies to "any MURS station". So maybe using the logic of the FCC a window washer could use the radio to the roof plus 20 feet, even if he was on a skyscraper.

Now if he is a tree climber, the 60 foot rule would prevail.

95.2741 MURS antenna height limit.
The highest point of any MURS station antenna
must not be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above
the ground or 6.10 meters (20 feet) above the
highest point of the structure on which it is mounted.
MURS station antennas must also meet the
requirements in 95.317 regarding menaces to air
navigation. See 47 C.F.R. 95.317 and consult Part
17 of the FCCs Rules for more information.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 PM

This is simple.

" 20 feet above the structure on which it is mounted" It is clear that it referrers to the antenna.

Does structure refer to the radio? Not likely.

What this means and there is very similar language regarding CB (11 meter) antennas, is that the antenna cannot be more than 20 feet higher than the structure (tower, building, tree and so on) that it is mounted to or on and the maximum height is 60 feet what ever structure it is mounted to or on.

Structure does not mean the radio.

Below is from the FCC web page.

Why would the FCC even mention an increase in range with an external antenna if an external antenna is not allowed?

The FCC may not mean what they have written, but the meaning of what they have written is clear.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
The more information learned about the situation, the more it leads me to believe that an SIP based paging solution would be a better physical fitness compared to an RF solution. With the "nearby" location I'd be willing to guess a PBX phone system is already in place. Comes down to adapting what you've got versus creating a purpose built solution. In the end, the IP based system leaves more room for future expansion and adaptation (plus no worries about licensing).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I agree you should be looking at this as two issues.. a SIP based paging system using Viking or Algo or Grandstream or Snom would be the best way to go for your announcing / alerting issues. Then a radio system for your other needs, Motorola's MOTOTRBO or ICom / Kenwood NXDN...

Remember all of this is cheap insurance against what OSHA will fine you if their is an issue / inspection and you are not in compliance.

================