RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 2:13 PM

Default RCA??

I just saw a New RCA BR850 IS portable which they say has a 4 watt output. Upon investigation it I found this website;

Our History | RCA Communications Systems which looks impressive.

Funny thing is the ONLY place which sells this equipment is Discount Two Way Radio

https://www.discounttwo-wayradio.com/

So is the original Radio Corporation of America (not Thomson Consumer Electronics) alive and selling industrial radio products or is Discount Two Way Radio private labeling Hytera radios and sponsoring a bogus website trying to convince people RCA is back in the two way radio business?
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2017, 3:21 PM

NOT the RCA that we knew. The two-way section died in the late 80's, after the last service station got sold off tho several different 'investors'.
Again someone using a famous name. Like other brand name thieves. Browning, Tram, ect.
Old 06-22-2017, 3:45 PM

Not only is Discount Two Way Radio the only source for these radios they are the only ones with programming software. The radios are supposed to be wirelessly cloneable but to get the first one programmed you have to send it to Discount Two Way radio. No software or cables available.
Old 06-22-2017, 4:00 PM

Junk radios.
Someone at work bought a few of the analog models and wanted me to program them to match the rest of their radios.
As usual, they didn't talk to me first, just show up, "fix this" and expect me to make it all work.
Took some digging, but came to the same conclusion LubeckTech did. The shop that sells them is the only one that can do the programming. They won't sell software. I had them return the radios and purchase a few new Icom's in their place.

Junky Chinese radios. By the time they bought the radios, went through all the stuff with me and then sending them back, it cost more than if they'd bought the Icom's first.

Save your money and prevent headaches.
Old 06-22-2017, 6:54 PM

All that WAS RCA was dead and buried in the late 80s when GE bought them out then sold the consumer division to Thompson who was clueless as to how to run a consumer electronics company

The two way division was sold and renamed several times but in the end couldn't survive

I can literally call a Chinese company like Baofeng and have them produce the same radios with "Motex" on the label

If you look at Bearcom, and TEKK, radios, you will see that they look strangely similar to RCA
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2017, 7:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

But you can still see an original "Nipper" in the Stedman Gallery at Rutgers University:

RCA Nipper Window on Display at Rutgers

Relm MX4000, RS Pro-18, Pro-136, Pro-668, Pro-2028, Pro2066, Pro2096, Pro2052, Pro2055, BC HP-1, HP-2, 345CRS and a Lafayette HA-52A just for old time's sake.
Old 06-22-2017, 8:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default RCA name

It is not uncommon to see RCA, Zenith, Polaroid, Magnavox, and other defunct brand names show up on a product. Someone usually owns the right to the name/trademark and sells the right to use it on a product. I have a tablet/laptop small computer with detachable keyboard made using the RCA brand. Other than a touch pad limited by the driver, it runs Windows 10 32 bit very well and has a bright screen with good color.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTEX View Post
All that WAS RCA was dead and buried in the late 80s when GE bought them out then sold the consumer division to Thompson who was clueless as to how to run a consumer electronics company

The two way division was sold and renamed several times but in the end couldn't survive

I can literally call a Chinese company like Baofeng and have them produce the same radios with "Motex" on the label

If you look at Bearcom, and TEKK, radios, you will see that they look strangely similar to RCA
Beacom radios (at least current models) are relabled Icom and Vertex Standard radios. The software is standard software and the radios are actually labeled with Bearcom model numbers by the OEM.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 PM

Looks neat and fancy with the blue display but like mentioned junk. We had got a couple to demo and like said they must do the programming. No go for the department that wanted them since things change time to time and it isn't ideal to have to send in a portable or all to be programmed when it can be done by techs locally.
Old 08-30-2017, 1:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here we have an "expert" recommendation for RCA radios from Erik Estrada of "Chips". Who apparently is now a real cop and plays one on TV.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ju68O_6Qg24

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 4:24 PM

I remember the RCA TacTec radios back in the 80s. Those were quite decent and had, as I remember it, notably good audio quality.

It's still a minor goal of mine to find at least one example of a Tactec portable for my collection.