• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Glass Mount antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinw251

Forgive me if I am in the wrong group, I am looking for suggestions on a shorter glassmount antenna to utilize Motorola xtl5000 series radio in the 7/800mhz range. I have done a couple of searches online but very few of them come up in the 764mhz range. Any suggetions??? A lot of antennas come up for the 806+ range but not a lot below. I see several cellular based antennas but was not sure if those would be sufficient or not.

kb4mdz

Be aware of RF exposure levels using a glass-mount antenna that close to your pumpkin.

MY opinion: Don't do it.

Honestly, a 35 watt 800 mhz radio with it's radiation point that close, I'd leave the car.

Ages ago I had a Federal customer wanted to put a 100 Watt VHF Syntor on a boat and do a glass-mount antenna on the windshield. I strongly suggested no, I wouldn't do it, for the RF exposure reason and also the power handling reason. Finally cobbled together a commercial half-wave bazooka dipole way up on a stainless steel mast, so the radiation center point was about 5 ft. overhead.

jim202

Forgive me if I am in the wrong group, I am looking for suggestions on a shorter glassmount antenna to utilize Motorola xtl5000 series radio in the 7/800mhz range. I have done a couple of searches online but very few of them come up in the 764mhz range. Any suggetions??? A lot of antennas come up for the 806+ range but not a lot below. I see several cellular based antennas but was not sure if those would be sufficient or not.

You didn't mention what power level the radio transmitter is operating at. Most of the LWIN radios are in the 45 watt range or so for the XTL family. using the window mount for LWIN use in your area will probably cause you coverage problems in your area. There are not that many towers to cover your area on the LWIN system.

You would be much better off just biting the bullet and putting an NMO roof mount on your vehicle. It can be used for other antennas down the road if you end up no longer needing the mount for the 700 MHz. antenna.

It's not an issue when you go to trade in the vehicle. All the dealer cares about is that the roof doesn't leak from rain.

The only word of caution I will give you is not to use an electrician hole saw. The 3/4 inch saw you buy at the hardware store is not 3/4 inch, but closer to over an inch. It is made for the conduit fittings. Using one of these hole saws will be way too large for the normal 3/4 inch hole that the NMO mount requires. plus you need to be aware of doing damage to the head liner in the vehicle.

You can send me a private message if you want and I can give you some first hand information on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.