• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

High School Radio Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrogen18

I'm a ham from East Northport, Long Island, New York, and I recently started at Northport High School. Over the years, unfortunately, for my generation, the amateur radio interest has declined. Naturally, it makes sense that I found a radio club room, unused, with equipment in it, with no students to operate it. However, I'd like to restart this FM Radio station and club. I plan to talk to my guidance counselor and principle regarding the manner soon. Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything is appreciated, thank you in advance.

W2JMZ

Find a friend who's willing to go with you even if just to pad numbers. The more interest you can generate the more likely the administration will back it. Also try and find a teacher who will sponsor/supervise it as well, even if they only sit in a corner and make sure you don't burn the school down. This will give you more fuel and ammo in getting permission for the club to get up and running. If you have interest and a sponsor and ask nothing in terms of funding usually they approve easily or at least won't out right say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydrogen18

Find a friend who's willing to go with you even if just to pad numbers. The more interest you can generate the more likely the administration will back it. Also try and find a teacher who will sponsor/supervise it as well, even if they only sit in a corner and make sure you don't burn the school down. This will give you more fuel and ammo in getting permission for the club to get up and running. If you have interest and a sponsor and ask nothing in terms of funding usually they approve easily or at least won't out right say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the advice, I've already found a couple of people willing to help me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I once found myself in the identical situation many years ago. There happened to be a metal shop instructor who was a ham who took this on and sponsored a resurrection of the high school amateur radio club.

The school should have some policy toward officially sanctioned student organizations, clubs, etc. Your guidance counselor or a teacher should be able to help you navigate the process to start a formal club. If there isn't a ham on school staff, find one in the local community who will do stuff like get a club license.

I went through that and, interestingly enough, wound up finding about a dozen like-minded kids who were eager to join the fun. We ended up with an active radio club, with a good handful of licensed hams among the students.

Is there a science department? That might be a perfect fit for one of the science teachers.

Good luck!

wa3hdi

Gang, you may not be reading OP's comments clearly. Rather than a ham radio station club, Northport HS had operated a Class D FM broadcast station in the past -- and he's considering reactivating it.

As a member (Staff Engineer, News Director) of America's oldest continuously operated High School FM broadcast station, I support his initiative -- but suspect that they may have lost their licensed frequency over time. It was the start of a 10 year broadcasting career that paid my way through college, and took me to the top and 4th largest radio markets and to 2 national news networks.

Even if they don't still have a valid broadcast license, they can still supply streaming programming and achieve the same outcome.

2 outfits that may be able to assist are College Broadcasters, Inc. & Intercollegiate Broadcasting System.

Hydrogen18

Gang, you may not be reading OP's comments clearly. Rather than a ham radio station club, Northport HS had operated a Class D FM broadcast station in the past -- and he's considering reactivating it.

As a member (Staff Engineer, News Director) of America's oldest continuously operated High School FM broadcast station, I support his initiative -- but suspect that they may have lost their licensed frequency over time. It was the start of a 10 year broadcasting career that paid my way through college, and took me to the top and 4th largest radio markets and to 2 national news networks.

Even if they don't still have a valid broadcast license, they can still supply streaming programming and achieve the same outcome.

2 outfits that may be able to assist are College Broadcasters, Inc. & Intercollegiate Broadcasting System.
I believe they have lost the license, I just hope I can find a way through the fcc to aqquire the license again, thank you very much

cmdrwill

I believe they have lost the license, I just hope I can find a way through the fcc to aqquire the license again, thank you very much

Check the FCC archive section for the old license, and operating parameters.

You may be able to use the same antenna, and low enough power to be under the Part 15 effective radiation limit. "maximum permitted level of 250 µV/m at 3 meters for non-licensed station", that would cover the school campus no problem.

zz0468

QRT
Banned

I guess the fact that he started his post saying he's a ham, and mentioning amateur radio threw some of us for a loop. Oh well...

Hydrogen18

I guess the fact that he started his post saying he's a ham, and mentioning amateur radio threw some of us for a loop. Oh well...
Yeah it was my bad, I should've made it more clear that it was an fm station, but I would like to introduce amateur equipment to the station as well if possible

Hydrogen18

That's strange, my dad, who went to the high school told me that those were the call letters and that's what's on the window of the radio room

tekheavy

I graduated from Northport High School in 1981 and I don't remember ever hearing anything about a FM radio station that they may have had back then. I still live in the area.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since this thread seems to be about resurrecting a high school FM broadcast station, I've moved the thread to the Industry Discussion forum since commercial radio people are more likely to see it here.

Hydrogen18

Since this thread seems to be about resurrecting a high school FM broadcast station, I've moved the thread to the Industry Discussion forum since commercial radio people are more likely to see it here.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.