• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Collinear vs. J-Pole Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Antenex appears to be a collinear. It is tuned for 465Mhz so it would not work well in the 70CM band.
The claimed gain is 5Dbd. If true, this is considerably more that a j-pole.

J-poles are actually end-fed half wave antennas. Gain is 3Dbi not Dbd.

Why not just buy a collinear designed for ham band?

k9wkj

collinear jpoles are a thing
2mcollinearm3fvb.gif

DisasterGuy

It really depends on your application, desired coverage pattern, desired ERP, etc. My "go-to" antennas to cover that band are:
-CommScope DB420
-RFS Celwave PD10055-2

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

Antenex, Laird, UHF base antenna insides: Just a copper plated steel wire in sort of a J pole configuration. Not recommended for repeater applications.

Attachments

• Laird ant insides2.jpg
    Laird ant insides2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,060

lmrtek

These commercial FG single section antennas are fine for repeater use and I've used Laird, antennex, and maxrads on commercial repeaters for decades without issue

But for ham frequencies, the Hustler G6-440 is a better choice

DisasterGuy

Generally the Laird style are considered more appropriate for control station use than repeater use. For repeater service those mentioned above are most appropriate. There are several factors to consider including wind ratings, lightning handling and pattern. $1000 may sound like a lot for an antenna until you consider a few thousand dollars in feedline, a few thousand dollars for every tower climb, etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mrsvensven

at the risk of sounding like a id10t
other than the fact it has the same gain as any other single section vertical (and on UHF a single section seems silly)
why isnt it recomended

For repeater applications you have to consider PIM specs. If an antenna will arc at all, it will generate noise that will effect the receiver. It's only a problem for repeaters where the antenna transmits and receives simultaneously. It's why you shouldn't use braided coax on a repeater. Hardline won't arc while coax can arc from one strand of the braid to another. While brand new coax may work ok, over time it can develop "the crunchies". Fiberglass antennas can do the same: they may be fine for years but after enough flexing in the wind the elements will develop very small cracks that will arc and you will get "the crunchies". The antenna will still sweep fine and work ok for a base station, but an repeater connected to it will hear a bit of noise. Many commercial PIM rated antennas are dipole arrays rather than fiberglass collinears.

ASAD

Antenex, Laird, UHF base antenna insides: Just a copper plated steel wire in sort of a J pole configuration. Not recommended for repeater applications.

So I spend $200 on a stupid J-pole (Antenex FG4405). Specs said it was collinear. I would rather use Diamond X-300.

Thanks for showing elements.

ASAD

After doing a little research, I found the following page. BC200 and BC205 come with cutting chart and could be cut to a specific frequency. Would you choose Diamond ground plane over Antenex J-pole?

V/UHF STATION ANTENNA/DIAMOND ANTENNA CORPORATION

I know PCTEL, Sinclair and DB are ideal but they are too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.