• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APCO-25 Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankar

Wow, have things changed. It's been about a seven year hiatus for me from the hobby and it's amazing how things have changed. I tried to tune into my local town and found out that they moved to APCO-25 encrypted on the rr database.

If it says APCO-25 (encrypted) in the description here on the rr database, does that mean I virtually have no chance of being able to listen in?

Thanks all

n4voxgill

Silent Key
APCO-25 means digital. If you do not have a digital capable scanner then you will not receive voice communications. Digital is not the same as encrypted. Digital systems may or may not be encrypted. If the system you want to monitor is digital, that means even with a digital scanner you will not hear them if they have encryption enabled.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If it says ENCRYPTED then no, you will never be able to hear them.

rankar

That figures...

Thanks guys for the replies. That's what I figured. Well, I'll still upgrade to an APCO-25 capable scanner anyway. I knew my original Icom R-1 would see it's usefulness slowly come to an end...

seamusg

rankar said:
Wow, have things changed. It's been about a seven year hiatus for me from the hobby and it's amazing how things have changed. I tried to tune into my local town and found out that they moved to APCO-25 encrypted on the rr database.

If it says APCO-25 (encrypted) in the description here on the rr database, does that mean I virtually have no chance of being able to listen in?

Thanks all
What system are you trying?

rankar

I was looking at the Wilton, CT (Fairfield County) PD system and noticed it was indicating an APCO-25 (encrypted) system. I'm just starting research into digital/apco compatible scanners and receivers. So far, I've only read about the popular Bearcat ones... is there something you all suggest?

seamusg

rankar said:
I was looking at the Wilton, CT (Fairfield County) PD system and noticed it was indicating an APCO-25 (encrypted) system. I'm just starting research into digital/apco compatible scanners and receivers. So far, I've only read about the popular Bearcat ones... is there something you all suggest?
It's not a system, it's conventional. The database here shows the PD Dispatch (encrypted)
and PD (encrypted), APCO-25 does not have anything to do with being encrypted. the database is also showing Fire as APCO25 but not encrypted. APCO25 is just another mode like AM or FM. APCO25 makes encrypting easier since it's digital and all you have to do is move the bits around. If it is encrypted there is no scanner that can decode it. Digital encryption on a digital scanner sounds like R2D2. It sounds like your PD doesn't want anyone to hear them.

dizwiz

Hopefully someone will crack this someday (Regardless of the legality)

The experts say it cant be done, but I imagine if someone smart enough 'ganked a police encrypted unit or a key coder machine they could figure out the AES encryption method for that system.

mancow

Database Admin
Wouldn't bet on it, the keys are not retrievable from the KVL or crypto modules once entered. The process involves more than just a simple key being inserted down a wire. There are several levels of error checking and testing that's done during the key loading process that the equipment performs all on its own.

You should keep an out out for an old T-30XX series Motorola KVL manual at a hamfest some time. The service manuals break it all down into stages and describe all the different functions that happen during the process. It's really fairly complicated and that was 1980's technology. It's kind of interesting.

It's not going to happen on a level that will benefit a scanner user. There's always the possibility of Government key breaking capability (NSA) etc... but what good does that do you?

Even if by some miracle it was accomplished they would take your doors off its hinges quicker than hell if the capability was ever known.

Last edited:

richardc63

seamusg said:
It's not a system, it's conventional. The database here shows the PD Dispatch (encrypted)
and PD (encrypted), APCO-25 does not have anything to do with being encrypted. the database is also showing Fire as APCO25 but not encrypted. APCO25 is just another mode like AM or FM. APCO25 makes encrypting easier since it's digital and all you have to do is move the bits around. If it is encrypted there is no scanner that can decode it. Digital encryption on a digital scanner sounds like R2D2. It sounds like your PD doesn't want anyone to hear them.

Well no, sorry, APCO25 is NOT a "mode" like AM or FM. APCO25 is a US developed Open Standard that permits manufacturers to design & manufacture digitally modulated radios that can be configured in either conventional or trunking (using FDMA) configurations. The digital modulation type used is C4FM- that is the "mode".

Cheers,

Richard

N

N_Jay

richardc63 said:
Well no, sorry, APCO25 is NOT a "mode" like AM or FM. APCO25 is a US developed Open Standard that permits manufacturers to design & manufacture digitally modulated radios that can be configured in either conventional or trunking (using FDMA) configurations. The digital modulation type used is C4FM- that is the "mode".

Cheers,

Richard

Well, lets just invent a personal definition for the word "mode" and tell others they are wrong. :confused: :roll:
mode [ mōd ] (plural modes)
noun
Definitions:
1. manner or form: a way, manner, or form, e.g. a way of doing something, or the form in which something exists
2. style or fashion: a style or fashion, e.g. in art or in dress
3. machine setting: a setting or function on a machine such as a computer
4. type of automatic behavior: a way of behaving, especially one that is instinctive, familiar, or habitual ( informal humorous )
in work mode
:roll: :wink: :lol:

rankar

and to make it even more frustrating, my town went from having its police band on analog 46MHz for the longest time (actually, I believe there were a couple of freqs between 46 and 49MHz) which you could listen to on almost anything short of a transistor radio tied to a cold water pipe to an encrypted APCO system. geez.

Southtown800

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
it seems that everyone is going to be or are already Apco, i hear there is a huge overhaul that is going to go on to help with interoperability, i use to live in wallingford and i worked at the old fairfield hills, up there in newtown they use VHF narrowband, so some scanners can't pick them up fully because of the split in the frequency, and as you can see the ct state police have a mamoth system which i hear will soon be encrypted,

lake-hamilton

Apco-25 Encryption

I was wondering using the bcd396t model scanner what P-25 APCO encryption sounds like? Does it sound like a motorboat engine making a bunch of racket or do you not hear anything? If the scanner detects if its encrypted does it just skip the talkgroup and not make any noise at all? The reason i ask is because I can hear the dispatcher but not any users.

BaLa

lake-hamilton said:
I was wondering using the bcd396t model scanner what P-25 APCO encryption sounds like? Does it sound like a motorboat engine making a bunch of racket or do you not hear anything? If the scanner detects if its encrypted does it just skip the talkgroup and not make any noise at all? The reason i ask is because I can hear the dispatcher but not any users.
The 396t is actually SUPPOSED to ignore/skip enryption.
It does not always work.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KP78WVMY

btw.....nice bump

Last edited:

lake-hamilton

Apco-25 Encryption

Well in a way thats good that the bcd396t ignores encrypted communications but in a way bad because theres some talkgroups thats unknown if there active. Is there any software to dl to figure out if the channels are being overidden by motorboats or is there a particular digital scanner out there that don't ignore encrypted signals being broadcasted on p-25. Too bad there isn't a on/off ignore encrypt feature on the bcd396t.

Status
Not open for further replies.