• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Balloons to help restore Puerto Rico's cell networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

15plus1

Not sure where this belongs, so I'll try it here..

Google's parent company is set to launch balloons into the Caribbean skies in an attempt to restore telephone networks in hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.

Alphabet Inc., which controls Google, obtained authorization from the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to deploy the devices—developed from 2013 as part of a project known as "Loon."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-10-balloons-puerto-rico-cell-networks.html

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Any idea what 900mhz LMR band they were referring to? I am to lazy to look up the experimental/STA ...TT

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Logged one mode s coming thru here over Pennsylvania late last week 10/05 launched out of
Nevada as HBAL017 mode s (BA143D)
Now stationed off PR at FL 51k.
Go to flightradar24.com and type in HBALin search box to see where they are now.

15plus1

Logged one mode s coming thru here over Pennsylvania late last week 10/05 launched out of
Nevada as HBAL017 mode s (BA143D)
Now stationed off PR at FL 51k.
Go to flightradar24.com and type in HBALin search box to see where they are now.

That's cool !!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any idea what 900mhz LMR band they were referring to? I am to lazy to look up the experimental/STA ...TT

896-901.3
937-942
Running LTE. 5M00W7W

You can look at their request here, it's got some info:
https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=199448&x=

Basically they will do an "over the air update" to the devices to activate LTE Band 8, which is not normally used in the USA. At the end of this, they'll send out another OTA update to shut off band 8 in the cellular phones.

STA:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/repo...ial&application_seq=80734&RequestTimeout=1000

About 10 years ago I went to an RF anechoic test chamber in San Diego to see a demo of a cell site replacement system that used a 20' aerostat to hold the RF equipment, it was feed by power and fiber optic cables from the ground station. The plan was to use a sat dish to bring in the phone lines, they didn't have that in the chamber.
We used a similar size aerostat at ABC on golf shows as our antenna platform, it took about 20 bottles of helium to get it inflated.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'm struggling to grasp just how they can maintain station at FL510 (51,000'). For that matter, given that most cell sites are <200' why it's necessary for these balloons to be that high to begin with.

However, I'm really happy to hear that someone is doing something to help restore communications in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing that high altitude is needed to keep balloons out of normal aircraft altitudes.
Don't want any airliners tangling with it as most stay below 45k feet.
Also air currents are less active up that high..
Broadcasting mode s signals as they do also alerts aircraft it is in the area.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing that high altitude is needed to keep balloons out of normal aircraft altitudes.
Don't want any airliners tangling with it as most stay below 45k feet.
Also air currents are less active up that high..
Broadcasting mode s signals as they do also alerts aircraft it is in the area.

I was tracking a flight, that was transiting the Caribbean, and saw the balloon over PR, last night. The callsign caught my attention, on Flightradar24.

Sent via Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
HBAL017 is currently on the south side of Puerto Rico at FL597 drifting slowly NNW at 7 knots:
xU5Xj.png

Last edited:
The altitude that they are flown is based on whatever class airspace the balloons are used. Class airspace is determined by whatever restrictions, airports, military bases etc are in the area.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The altitude that they are flown is based on whatever class airspace the balloons are used. Class airspace is determined by whatever restrictions, airports, military bases etc are in the area.

That isn't the case at all. It's more of a stability issue for their platform. No weather, really no clouds, hardly any water vapor, and very stable and very predictable winds.

Yes, they have to avoid certain airspace, and commercial aircraft to a certain extent, but that isn't the reason they are at those altitudes.

pilotman6012

Right they also fly that high to cover a wider area for cell coverage,just like an aircraft when he broadcasts on the radio the higher up he is,the further the signal will go.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
At close to 60,000' the atmosphere is so thin that there aren't any "strong winds" to affect the balloon. As for any other traffic, there truly isn't much -- if any!

RFI-EMI-GUY

This is quite fascinating. It will be interesting to learn how this works out. I am surprised that with all the satellite resources FEMA has, that so much of the island has no communications. They should be air dropping satellite stations, HF stations and UHF repeaters on mountaintops. From what I read there is no command and control.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

At close to 60,000' the atmosphere is so thin that there aren't any "strong winds" to affect the balloon. As for any other traffic, there truly isn't much -- if any!
I wonder if these balloons have any sort of station keeping capability so they can maintain a location for an extended period.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if these balloons have any sort of station keeping capability so they can maintain a location for an extended period.

They don't. They just use the wind variations at different altitudes. Their general plan is that they use a series of baloons if they need to, if they start drifting off course.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is quite fascinating. It will be interesting to learn how this works out. I am surprised that with all the satellite resources FEMA has, that so much of the island has no communications. They should be air dropping satellite stations, HF stations and UHF repeaters on mountaintops. From what I read there is no command and control.

This wasn't intended as a disaster communications solution, it's intended to provide some amount of bandwidth to the citizens. Since most cell sites are either totally destroyed or have no power, this was a solution to providing some level of cell service to the island.

Many agencies have assets in place to provide radio coverage to the island, and have since the hurricane hit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

If you watch them on sites like flightradar24.com, you'll see that they seem to be able to adjust altitude a bit. Seems like they use this to put them at altitudes that have favorable wind speed/direction. Not sure how good they are at hovering them, but they do seem to have some ability to keep them on some form of generalized station keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.