• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Honda Pioneer SideBySide Alternator Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I recently installed an Icom F5021 VHF Mobile radio in our brand new 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5. The radio sounds great when the ATV is turned off. However when the ATV is running there is horrible electrical noise in the background. The noise is so significant that it is causing the CTCSS Tone to cut out and and it will not open the receivers on other radios. I believe the noise is coming directly from the Alternator. I have the radio wired hot directly to the battery and the ground going to the battery as well as to the frame.

I just put a brand new Browning 15A Noise Filter in line with the radio. However it really didn't help the noise all that much. Anyone have any experience with wiring a radio into an ATV/UTV/Motocycle that has significant electrical noise? What is the best way to mitigate this problem?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got a Motorola CDM750 installed in a Polaris Ranger, a Polaris Ace 150, and a few others in family UTV's, including Polaris Rzr and one Yamaha Rhino.

Didn't have any issues with those, though.

Could be a number of ways the noise is getting into the radio.
A couple of good tests you can try:
1. Disconnect the antenna and see if the interference goes away.
2. Disconnect from the UTV battery and run off a separate power source with the engine running.
3. Try grounding the radio chassis to the closest vehicle steel. As short as possible.

That'll help you narrow down where the noise is getting in.

A few things I've found over the years…
I had a truck that had alternator whine, moving the negative lead from the battery to the body took care of it. I've run across vehicles where it worked better grounded at the battery. Try experimenting to see what works best.
Had a VHF radio that would do odd things, power cycle on it's own, etc. Grounding the radio chassis directly to the sheet metal fixed it.
Try moving your antenna if you can.
Make sure power wiring and coax is routed away from existing vehicle wiring.

Used to be we rode ATV's and carried amateur hand held radios. Had a few Yamaha's that made a lot of ignition noise that the hand held's would pick up. Even with zero connection to the vehicle. Some vehicles are just noisy.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I've got a Motorola CDM750 installed in a Polaris Ranger, a Polaris Ace 150, and a few others in family UTV's, including Polaris Rzr and one Yamaha Rhino.

Didn't have any issues with those, though.

Could be a number of ways the noise is getting into the radio.
A couple of good tests you can try:
1. Disconnect the antenna and see if the interference goes away.
2. Disconnect from the UTV battery and run off a separate power source with the engine running.
3. Try grounding the radio chassis to the closest vehicle steel. As short as possible.

That'll help you narrow down where the noise is getting in.

A few things I've found over the years…
I had a truck that had alternator whine, moving the negative lead from the battery to the body took care of it. I've run across vehicles where it worked better grounded at the battery. Try experimenting to see what works best.
Had a VHF radio that would do odd things, power cycle on it's own, etc. Grounding the radio chassis directly to the sheet metal fixed it.
Try moving your antenna if you can.
Make sure power wiring and coax is routed away from existing vehicle wiring.

Used to be we rode ATV's and carried amateur hand held radios. Had a few Yamaha's that made a lot of ignition noise that the hand held's would pick up. Even with zero connection to the vehicle. Some vehicles are just noisy.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try these troubleshooting techniques. I think that I have already tried slight variations of these things. I will post my results as soon as I can perform some more troubleshooting.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, that could be tough. I'm thinking electric cooling fan noise, too. Does your fan run all the time and does it coincide with the interference? My Polaris cycles the fan on/off as needed.

How do you like the Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.