• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question for Digital system operators about abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillmobile

Hello, as we all move slowly over to digital i wanted to ask people mainly with NXDN trunking but also Mototrbo if you are still getting abuse from muppets. Do they transmit blank carriers on the inputs? try programming up radios and try sending audio or other things i have not thought of.
Just random questions as i also hear the aor scanners can now decode the encryption but listening and abusing are different matters.

Thanks in advance guys

PM me if thats better

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hello, as we all move slowly over to digital i wanted to ask people mainly with NXDN trunking but also Mototrbo if you are still getting abuse from muppets. Do they transmit blank carriers on the inputs? try programming up radios and try sending audio or other things i have not thought of.

I've got a NexEdge trunking system. It replaced a SmartNet analog system.

On the old analog SmartNet system I wasn't aware of any issues with someone transmitting blank carriers on our frequencies, although I would see periodic interference. I was very well aware of certain dealers cloning my radios and sending them back out en-mass. We worked really hard to make sure the dealers that programmed the radios had the right codeplugs and radio ID's, but they'd just clone off another radio, ID and all.
Sure, the customers got away with not paying for access on the radios, but as soon as one of them got stolen, they'd be complaining to me about interference and why can't I just shut it off, etc.

Switching to the NexEdge system allowed me to control access to the system by individual radio ID's and ESN's. Also, I do not allow any one else to program radios on my system. Doesn't matter who the shop is.

The system will track things like dead keys on the frequencies, etc and log those, but I'm not seeing any complaints from the system about that.

But so far, thanks to the ESN and Radio ID controls, no one has caused any issues on the system. I'm sure someone with the right skills could figure out how to hack in a valid ESN and program in a matching radio ID, but it would be sort of silly since the coverage of the system isn't very big.

Just random questions as i also hear the aor scanners can now decode the encryption but listening and abusing are different matters.

I've heard this, but I haven't seen any proof. Not saying it can't be done, but there's some big questions about how they do it. Until I see/hear/experience it, I'm holding judgement.

Also, while it may decode the simple NXDN encryption, most of the higher end radios will allow installation of AES256 encryption modules.

phillmobile

Thanks for your reply Mr mmckenna was hoping to hear from you we are defo looking at going to the nexedge trunk from mpt1327, on the the tait mpt every radio has the esn locked so if some one clones it locks them all out but of course that does not stop mr muppet jamming the control channel

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply Mr mmckenna was hoping to hear from you we are defo looking at going to the nexedge trunk from mpt1327, on the the tait mpt every radio has the esn locked so if some one clones it locks them all out but of course that does not stop mr muppet jamming the control channel

If you have a "muppet" jamming public safety frequencies..call the FCC. They will jump at the chance to come out and triangulate the signal to issue them a fine/forfeiture.

phillmobile

Ofcom (Our fcc) need you to film the perp sitting in his arm chair with the microphone in his hand transmitting showing the frequency on the screen of the radio before they bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.