RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Industry Discussion

Industry Discussion - General discussion forum for commercial and professional radio technologies. This includes manufacturers not listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 5:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Question for Digital system operators about abuse

Hello, as we all move slowly over to digital i wanted to ask people mainly with NXDN trunking but also Mototrbo if you are still getting abuse from muppets. Do they transmit blank carriers on the inputs? try programming up radios and try sending audio or other things i have not thought of.
Just random questions as i also hear the aor scanners can now decode the encryption but listening and abusing are different matters.

Thanks in advance guys

PM me if thats better

Last edited by phillmobile; 01-20-2018 at 6:02 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmobile View Post
Hello, as we all move slowly over to digital i wanted to ask people mainly with NXDN trunking but also Mototrbo if you are still getting abuse from muppets. Do they transmit blank carriers on the inputs? try programming up radios and try sending audio or other things i have not thought of.
I've got a NexEdge trunking system. It replaced a SmartNet analog system.

On the old analog SmartNet system I wasn't aware of any issues with someone transmitting blank carriers on our frequencies, although I would see periodic interference. I was very well aware of certain dealers cloning my radios and sending them back out en-mass. We worked really hard to make sure the dealers that programmed the radios had the right codeplugs and radio ID's, but they'd just clone off another radio, ID and all.
Sure, the customers got away with not paying for access on the radios, but as soon as one of them got stolen, they'd be complaining to me about interference and why can't I just shut it off, etc.

Switching to the NexEdge system allowed me to control access to the system by individual radio ID's and ESN's. Also, I do not allow any one else to program radios on my system. Doesn't matter who the shop is.

The system will track things like dead keys on the frequencies, etc and log those, but I'm not seeing any complaints from the system about that.

But so far, thanks to the ESN and Radio ID controls, no one has caused any issues on the system. I'm sure someone with the right skills could figure out how to hack in a valid ESN and program in a matching radio ID, but it would be sort of silly since the coverage of the system isn't very big.

Quote:
Just random questions as i also hear the aor scanners can now decode the encryption but listening and abusing are different matters.
I've heard this, but I haven't seen any proof. Not saying it can't be done, but there's some big questions about how they do it. Until I see/hear/experience it, I'm holding judgement.

Also, while it may decode the simple NXDN encryption, most of the higher end radios will allow installation of AES256 encryption modules.
Old 01-21-2018, 7:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for your reply Mr mmckenna was hoping to hear from you we are defo looking at going to the nexedge trunk from mpt1327, on the the tait mpt every radio has the esn locked so if some one clones it locks them all out but of course that does not stop mr muppet jamming the control channel
Old 01-21-2018, 8:11 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Mr mmckenna was hoping to hear from you we are defo looking at going to the nexedge trunk from mpt1327, on the the tait mpt every radio has the esn locked so if some one clones it locks them all out but of course that does not stop mr muppet jamming the control channel
If you have a "muppet" jamming public safety frequencies..call the FCC. They will jump at the chance to come out and triangulate the signal to issue them a fine/forfeiture.
Old 01-21-2018, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post
If you have a "muppet" jamming public safety frequencies..call the FCC. They will jump at the chance to come out and triangulate the signal to issue them a fine/forfeiture.
If only it was that easy...
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2018, 9:09 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post
When did the FCC get jurisdiction in the UK?
Old 01-21-2018, 1:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ofcom (Our fcc) need you to film the perp sitting in his arm chair with the microphone in his hand transmitting showing the frequency on the screen of the radio before they bother.