• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CAP+ Roaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Is it possible to implement roaming between Capacity Plus sites by making one repeater common to both and setting it up to recognize both sites' color codes?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Do the systems have overlapping coverage? If they do, then this will not work at all. The subscribers will not know which system they are talking on. Since audio will only be routed to the system who gives the radio the "go ahead" message. So user 1 will not know if their audio is being passed on system a or system b. This makes predicting which group of users who will be receiving your message very difficult. If the systems are not within range of each other, then it will work only when the cap plus system rest channel is sitting on that one frequency. Cap plus by default changes the rest channel every few minutes or few transmissions. You can alter this behavior, but not reliably to make what you want to happen work properly. The only conditions I see this working under areif all of the following are met:
A system are not within range of each other. Subscribers will never be able to hear both systems at the same
B all frequencies, slot numbers, and color codes are the same
C all talkgroup numbers have the same function at each site

What are You trying to Do? TT.

D

DaveNF2G

I'm trying to figure out what a local CAP+ system operator is doing.

I have two 3-pair CAP+ sites on UHF for which I can only find the first two pairs. There is another CAP+ channel active that displays as a "third pair" (channels 5 and 6) and occasionally is a Rest channel, but switches between the color codes for the other two sites. I thought maybe it was a common repeater for roaming.

Both sites and this mystery repeater identify as Site 1. Physical locations are known to be different but within range of each other. Talkgroups shown on all 3 "sites" are numbered similarly.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The only way you’d have roaming involved in Capacity Plus is through Linked Capacity Plus.

What you could be seeing is frequency reuse though. Not all that uncommon as you can set one reused repeater to disable itself when it hears interference from the other. Assuming you have ~30 miles or so between sites you can limit interference fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DaveNF2G

That is a possibility. I think I will just set up the same frequency twice as One Frequency DMRs with each color code and record it.

Does Linked Capacity Plus put anything on the scanner or DSD+ screen to distinguish itself?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
LCP will identify itself with site numbers in DSD plus. Also keep in mind that often people will get very loose with FCC licensing. Often shops will move frequencies, change emissions, power, etc without updating their license. TT

D

DaveNF2G

It appears that this particular shop is running LCP, because every TRBO system they maintain broadcasts a site number and a neighbor list.

I'm aware of the site swapping issue. Seen it many times, in government and private radio systems.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it figured out. I really like LCP; as attempting to deploy a multisite trunking system in the old days was a huge undertaking. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.