• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LMCC letter to FCC about CCR problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We can hope that the FCC/EB does something. You won't see me holding my breath, though.

Had someone using a few of these on a system I look after. Sounded like utter and complete crap. Mics were so hot they'd distort to the point of being unintelligible. Not running wide, just way too hot. Had to hold them at arms length to use them. Of course it was the repeaters fault.
Having those replaced with some respectable radios. I'm hoping the CCR's die a quick death, preferably involving fire and possibly a large hammer.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
We can hope that the FCC/EB does something. You won't see me holding my breath, though.

I doubt it. The current FCC is so in bed with the wireless telecom cartels, LMR is considered ancient technology, they WANT it to die so the cartels can get the usable spectrum.

If allowing it to become chaos will accelerate this, they won't lift a finger to stop it.

I'm hoping the CCR's die a quick death, preferably involving fire and possibly a large hammer.

The cat is so far out of the bag with literally millions of these turd radios in circulation, even if the "hammer were to drop", with so many in the hands of consumers, it would be a fruitless effort.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I doubt it. The current FCC is so in bed with the wireless telecom cartels, LMR is considered ancient technology, they WANT it to die so the cartels can get the usable spectrum.

If allowing it to become chaos will accelerate this, they won't lift a finger to stop it.

The cat is so far out of the bag with literally millions of these turd radios in circulation, even if the "hammer were to drop", with so many in the hands of consumers, it would be a fruitless effort.

The FCC has been known to loft a heavy fine on importers and manufacturers who sell non compliant gear. We will see them sending a message in the near future. Hopefully they will also look at OET certification process and start disallowing the rubber stamping of dodgy products.

Golay

This thread reminds me of gun control.
There are 300 million privately owned firearms in the US.
Now some folks talk about stopping sales of guns.
There's probably more CCR's in this country than there is hams.
Now some folks are talking about stopping sales of CCR's.

RFI-EMI-GUY

This thread reminds me of gun control.
There are 300 million privately owned firearms in the US.
Now some folks talk about stopping sales of guns.
There's probably more CCR's in this country than there is hams.
Now some folks are talking about stopping sales of CCR's.

I am surprised the gun owners here are not more discerning about the quality of their communications gear than they are about their weapons. Imagine if some Chinese maker started selling 9 mm semi automatics made from recycled milk bottles and curtain rods.

Oh it happened....

Saturday night special

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special

srich10

Premium Subscriber
I am surprised the gun owners here are not more discerning about the quality of their communications gear than they are about their weapons. Imagine if some Chinese maker started selling 9 mm semi automatics made from recycled milk bottles and curtain rods.

Oh it happened....

Saturday night special

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special

We are...it’s called any Hi-Point weapon ever made. Anyone besides thugs, hood rats and wanna be cartel MS13 gangsters won’t touch them even with a ten foot pole

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm a newbie so please give me an example so I won't purchase one.

Anything with the following names:
Puxing
Baofeng
Pofung
Wouxon
Friedcom
Anytone
Tytera
Bearcom or any other radio that has a name that looks like it comes directly from mainland China.

And any other radio that is not:
Motorola
Harris
Tait
Kenwood
Hytera
Vertex
Icom
Yaesu
CSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nd5y

What is legal to use depends on what FCC licenses you hold and what FCC equipment authorization grants the radio has.

If you have no knowledge of the different FCC radio services, licensing requirements and equipment authorization requirements then stick with FRS bubble pack radios or MURS radios made or imported by reputable companies like Cobra, Dakota Alert, Garmin, Midland, Motorola, Ritron, and Uniden;
and avoid the manufacturers on this page: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Budget_and_Entry_Level_Transceivers

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Anything with the following names:
Puxing
Baofeng
Pofung
Wouxon
Friedcom
Anytone
Bearcom or any other radio that has a name that looks like it comes directly from mainland China.

And any other radio that is not:
Motorola
Harris
Tait
Kenwood
Vertex
Icom
Yaesu
CSI

Don't forget GE/Ericsson/M A-COM/ COMNET lineage that are now Harris. They are reputable brands. Did I miss any?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Don't forget GE/Ericsson/M A-COM/ COMNET lineage that are now Harris. They are reputable brands. Did I miss any?

My bad, I forget they changed names more times than some hams change their underwear.

RFI-EMI-GUY

What is legal to use depends on what FCC licenses you hold and what FCC equipment authorization grants the radio has.

If you have no knowledge of the different FCC radio services, licensing requirements and equipment authorization requirements then stick with FRS bubble pack radios or MURS radios made or imported by reputable companies like Cobra, Dakota Alert, Garmin, Midland, Motorola, Ritron, and Uniden;
and avoid the manufacturers on this page: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Budget_and_Entry_Level_Transceivers
So true. Any radio being considered should have an FCC ID which can be searched with Google or directly on FCC website. The "Grant" document reveals what FCC services and emissions the radio the radio compiles with. But, be careful, these CCR are sometimes certified incorrectly or with a sub optimal crappy modulation emission. The FCC certification process is being gamed by these importers.

If you don't want to spend the time researching this, stick to the FRS or MURS .

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Any brand name you cannot pronounce.
Any price on a new radio that's too good to be true.
Any radio that gets a great review from someone that only owns one radio.
Any radio that cannot be repaired or aligned.
Any radio where it costs more to send it back to the manufacturer than it did to purchase it.
Any professional dual band portable radio that costs less than $4000.00 new.
Any radio with a built in flashlight.
Any radio sold as commercial/public safety that also receives FM broadcast.
Any commercial/public safety radio that purchased off Amazon.
Any radio that does not have valid FCC type certification.
Any radio that an amateur radio operator owns 6 or more of the same model.
Any new radio you can purchase in bulk off e-Bay or Amazon.
Any radio purchased off Alibaba.
Any radio that looks a lot like a name brand radio, but isn't.
Any commercial/public safety radio recommended by someone who's only credentials are that they passed a 35 question multiple choice amateur radio test.

I'm sure that list will offend some people.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Any brand name you cannot pronounce.
...Any radio that gets a great review from someone that only owns one radio.
I've heard some very creative pronunciations of Yaesu, so you might be ruling them out. Also, seems that half the ham population can't spell Yaesu even when it's printed on the radio right in front of them.

At least one Chinese manufacturer of radios, particularly DMR radios, is actively soliciting positive reviews on Amazon. The deal is that if you buy the radio through Amazon and pay with Paypal and then post a positive review, the manufacturer/importer will refund all or part of your purchase price with a Paypal credit.

RFI-EMI-GUY

My bad, I forget they changed names more times than some hams change their underwear.

I think Motorola Microwave might have had them beat. I used to joke they should use velcro instead of glue on the name plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.