• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is it okay to use vox to key up another mobile radio in a portable repeater setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S21IL

I need to "build" a portable repeater system for some field work. Extremely low duty cycle, so I guess a two Chinese mobiles would do the job but there's no squelch detect or anything similar, can't find a way to interface with a controller. Not gonna need CW ID or anything on it. Just plain voice. Thought of using the Rx led to key up the transmitter, is that a good idea? Or the vox?

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Golay

Depends on the radio

I need to "build" a portable repeater system for some field work. Extremely low duty cycle, so I guess a two Chinese mobiles would do the job but there's no squelch detect or anything similar, can't find a way to interface with a controller. Not gonna need CW ID or anything on it. Just plain voice. Thought of using the Rx led to key up the transmitter, is that a good idea? Or the vox?

I did this with a couple of Moto handhelds that would chirp when the scan stopped. I think it may of been GP300's. I taped the mike from one to the speaker of another. Set one to scan, and to make a tone when the scan stopped. That was enough to "open" the vox on the other. The audio was a tad muffled, but perfect copy. It actually worked pretty good as a repeater. Played with it for a few days maybe, then took it apart.

jhooten

If you intend to use the mic in front of the speaker trick, Put it in a sound proof enclosure lest someone walking by stubs their toe, causing them to let loose a sting of profanity which triggers the VOX.

Or, go search eBay where you can find something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkie-Tal...053855?hash=item28424d4c1f:g:m7sAAOSwYkBZ2E38

That device, two UV-5R radios, a push up pole(preferably non metallic), and some duct tape would put a workable repeater on the air for less than a c-note.

Last edited:

S21IL

Actually the mobiles I saw use rj45 connectors, I could directly just make a crossover wire to hook them up. Would that be keying the transmitter properly?

jhooten

It would take more than just a wire cross over. Many of those radios use a condenser mic which requires a dc voltage on the mic line. Putting dc into the speaker connector would not be a good idea. You would also need to have a way to reduce the speaker output to mic level and match the impedance.

Search around on eBay. Someone may have a similar device fit the mobile CCR.

I_am_Alpha1

Actually the mobiles I saw use rj45 connectors, I could directly just make a crossover wire to hook them up. Would that be keying the transmitter properly?

This was done with old Motorola Maxtrac radios. Not a simple direct wire, as stated...there are resistors and capacitors required. You have to check the pinout to see if your radios are even capable in the first place.

You asked awhile back about making a repeater...not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but another idea for your consideration--cross band repeater. There are several radios that have crossband capability. One radio, one power supply, one feedline, one antenna (dual band), and no duplexer. You can set it up for 2m input and 70cm output or both ways if you need.

Wouxun and TYT come to mind.

S21IL

This was done with old Motorola Maxtrac radios. Not a simple direct wire, as stated...there are resistors and capacitors required. You have to check the pinout to see if your radios are even capable in the first place.

You asked awhile back about making a repeater...not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but another idea for your consideration--cross band repeater. There are several radios that have crossband capability. One radio, one power supply, one feedline, one antenna (dual band), and no duplexer. You can set it up for 2m input and 70cm output or both ways if you need.

Wouxun and TYT come to mind.
That was for a commercial project. That's coming in pretty good. Gonna use motorola mobiles for that.

This is more for a personal mobile use. And seems like I'd be better off getting a crossband repeat capable mobile is better than trying to salvage old unused radios :)

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.