• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rain Resistant Speaker Mic Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD0TY

Hi guys,

I have a customer that saw someone using a radio in the rain and they had some sort of rain resistant cover on their speaker mic. My customer has problems with the water getting in the hole in the mic and preventing sound from getting to the mic cartridge. Has anyone seen an accessory like this and/or know where something like this could be found?

lmrtek

A sandwich bag will work as well as anything but Amazon has tons of
UV5R waterproof pouches and similar

AD0TY

Sorry to be negative, but I doubt my customer is going to want to put a sandwich bag over the mic on their $3000 radio.

AD0TY

EFJ VP900, EFJ ES, EFJ VP5000, Moto XTS5000

The waterproof mics don't shed water well and water will fill the holes and block the audio from getting through to the mic cartridge.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How about covering it with a little disc with a tiny bit of adhesive and use a headset with a microphone?

AD0TY

I'm really trying to find something commercially available that the customer saw in use by another user.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to be negative, but I doubt my customer is going to want to put a sandwich bag over the mic on their $3000 radio.

I always gave my customers options and let them decide if a 2cent solution for their high dollar radio had merit.

Mike

AD0TY

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone here has read the original post, or even cares. I'm glad you all want to help, but the question is whether or not anyone knows where to find a commercially available cover for this purpose. My customer saw another person that had such a device that was made specifically for this purpose. They'd like to buy that. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one, so I was asking if anyone else has seen them somewhere. I'm not looking for a bunch of possible solutions to the problem. I'm looking for an existing product on the market that is for this issue. I can come up with plenty of cheap ideas on my own. My customer wants to buy something professional to solve their issue. They came to us and said "we want to buy what we saw," not "we have this problem and we're looking for whatever solution you can come up with."

krokus

Premium Subscriber
EFJ VP900, EFJ ES, EFJ VP5000, Moto XTS5000

The waterproof mics don't shed water well and water will fill the holes and block the audio from getting through to the mic cartridge.
The public safety mics from Motorola shed water well, as long as they are right-side up. But it sounds like your customer has a certain thing in mind, which is not a common product.

Sent using Tapatalk

AD0TY

Exactly. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to find a product they saw somewhere. I was hoping someone on here would say "oh yeah, we use those, check so and so..."

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Exactly. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to find a product they saw somewhere. I was hoping someone on here would say "oh yeah, we use those, check so and so..."

Have you tried asking the manufacture/dealer that supplied the radio?

AD0TY

I work for the dealer. That's why the customer came to us. Unfortunately, the manufacturer and all of our after market accessory suppliers have nothing like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.