• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2021 Encryption Mandate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Is there a Federal law or DHS directive which will require all law enforcement communications to be AES encrypted by 2021? After a rather lengthy search, I can't seem to find anything about it on the Web.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I haven't heard anything like that, and I work in the industry.

Doesn't mean someone didn't suggest it, or some hobbyist got it confused with something else.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Not that I have heard of but at this point not much would surprise me. I think if they may want everyone who is encrypted to be using AES by 2021 as part of the inter op initiative. But I haven't seen any mandated order anywhere that agencies have to encrypt. With Motorola having proprietary algos like ADP for p25 and Basic and Advanced Privacy on trbo I don't think everyone will be going AES any time soon. There was a mandate that any radio sold with encryption must now also have AES included as well. So if you buy a radio with ADP it must also have the a software AES option as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
What equipment salesman is telling you this?

Didn't come from a salesman. I've been going back and forth with a police commander over an issue. He's convinced that there's some federal mandate out there that states all law enforcement communications must be strapped with AES by 2021. Most of the responses here so far confirmed my suspicions...he's most likely being fed some BS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Encryption and interoperability are not a good combination. Keeping hundreds of thousands of radios all updated with the correct keys would be an impossible task. Getting key information to the agencies would be difficult to do with any level of security. It's been hard enough getting agencies to add the NIFOG frequencies to their radios. Getting them to get the encryption keys added and kept up to date would be impossible. Someone is always going to be running the "old key".

I know there are some that have a grand image about how everything will be magically updated, but it's not going to happen. Most agencies do not have their own radio guys, and they have to pay a shop to do programming changes.

Might be a good idea, but in reality it's never going to work.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything like that, and I work in the industry.

Doesn't mean someone didn't suggest it, or some hobbyist got it confused with something else.

Probably the radio shop getting it confused with something else or someone from Harris sales is trying to pull a fast one. Who knows.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Didn't come from a salesman. I've been going back and forth with a police commander over an issue. He's convinced that there's some federal mandate out there that states all law enforcement communications must be strapped with AES by 2021. Most of the responses here so far confirmed my suspicions...he's most likely being fed some BS.

Yep, just like the “narrow-band” mandate and so-called “interoperability” can all be achieved cheaply with even analog equipment for most agencies out there...

HIPAA is another misguided lie to go with encryption...

RFI-EMI-GUY

Unfortunately, radio vendors, and you can guess who, like to make up crap to sell systems and boxes. If you say a lie enough times it becomes law.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Its unfortunate the people who make the decisions about systems tend to know the least about them.
Police chiefs, fire chiefs, mayors, city councils, who ever is in power to make the decision based on a sneaky sales person.

fredva

Feed Provider
I have seen comments posted saying that National Park Service law enforcement or perhaps all federal law enforcement may have an encryption mandate. But the federal government would be overstepping its bounds to tell a local police agency it must encrypt. That's different than mandating narrow banding or re-banding where other entities wanting to use the radio spectrum might benefit.

Ask the police commander to send you a link to a document showing the mandate. If he can't point to a document, then it's just a rumor or deliberately false information that shouldn't be acted upon.

12dbsinad

Its unfortunate the people who make the decisions about systems tend to know the least about them.
Police chiefs, fire chiefs, mayors, city councils, who ever is in power to make the decision based on a sneaky sales person.

Yep. I can tell you exactly how it goes down. Once you get the police chief, fire chief, etc on board with a made up sales pitch "law", they then take that info and run wild with it to the city council and varies sub committees. Usually a bunch of "fluff" is involved. Meaning, they'll have backup paperwork with a whole bunch of confusing and convoluted info supporting the sales pitch "law". Votes happen.

And the rest is history...

ipfd320

Banned
There is Alot on p-25 / mandates / lmr and More---I Did a Simple Search on DHS Website and Searched Using Keyword *(Encryption Mandate)* & *(Encryption Mandate Deadline 2021)*

Here is the LINK----> https://search.usa.gov/search?utf8=...RYPTION+MANDATE&search-type=dhs&commit=Search

There Really Is,nt Anything On 2021 Finalization--But there is Some Good Readings

This is a Public Comment Feedback Matrix for Non-Standard Encryption CAB / February 28, 2017

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...atrix-for-Non-Standard-Encryption-CAB-508.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.