• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF/VHF (analog) mobile radio suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello! I'm seeking recommendations. I would like to purchase a UHF/VHF comb analog (DMR would be a plus too), mobile radio. I'm not a Motorola fan. Has anyone had experience with TYT 9600 or some of the others out there? I own a TYT 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I'm trying not to break the bank!

If this post needs to be merged with another, pre-existing post please do so.

Thank you in advance for any of your suggestions!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is your planned usage? You posted this in the Industry Discussion section, so that suggests commercial use.
What are you licensed for?

Personally if you need an analog radio, you can get better equipment by going with the known brands. If you can do separate radios or even separate RF decks, you can do way better than Tyt.

Great question! I'm a GMRS user currently. I'd like to purse my Ham license in the future. Honestly I plan on using it to listen the dwindling analog Public Safety in my area. Everyone is going P25 around here.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is your budget?

GMRS will require Part 95 certified UHF radio, which isn't hard to do, but limits you a bit.

If analog only is what you need, a Kenwood TK-7180 and a TK-8180 would do the trick. You can pick them up used pretty cheap. While not a combined radio, having two separate radios gives you some advantages.
A TK-7180 will cover from 136-174MHz and will work well on the amateur bands.
A TK-8180 will need to be a K2 model to do 70cm amateur and GMRS.

Benefits to going with a higher grade radio is that they have a lot more support and accessories. The audio is pretty outstanding. You can set these up as remote head radios, if space is a concern.

I'm seeking recommendations for a single, dual band radio. I'm so sorry for my ambiguity!

I, too, am a huge Kenwood fan like yourself. In fact, you've helped me in the recent past with programming questions. I've owned both the 7180 and 8180 and loved them dearly.

I don't believe Kenwood offers a dual band radio within my price range (<$300)?

I'm going to try to use this as a base station in my home if it matters at all.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeking recommendations for a single, dual band radio. I'm so sorry for my ambiguity!

I doubt you will find a dual-band that is legal for use on GMRS. If this will be strictly for ham use, and monitoring other services, then a number radios could work. Considering the budget concern, a good used one should be found. (A Kenwood TM-V71 is good candidate.)

Sent using Tapatalk

K7MFC

WRAA720
This is true. But because there is a lack of decent Part 95 accepted radios out there, many GMRS users turn to Part 90 certified radios because they would theoretically meet all the certification requirements for 95 regarding RF emissions and such. We're very limited in the GMRS world as far as Part 95 certified radios, so some people make do with used commercial gear. Is this allowed according the the part 95 GMRS rules? No, if you go by the letter of the law. Yes, if you go buy the spirit of the law. Some radios do hold both part 90 and 95 certification, some do not as you mentioned. I threw the Alinco out there because it is a field programmable/tunable radio for the TX range OP wants. But I will leave it at that, I don't want to start a conversation that is outside the scope of the original post.

Last edited:

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I have a Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band radio.
It's been flawless for me so far and I've had it for
almost a year now. GMRS, FRS (capable, if you
choose to do so) MURS. It does 10, 11 meter FM
and AM receive. Air frequencies, 6 meter, 2 meter
and 400-480 UHF. Nice radio for <$300

Status
Not open for further replies.