• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Project 25 System--Reuse System IDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtscho

Database Admin
Do true P25 systems (9600) sometimes reuse system IDs? (I searched for the answer to this question in the Wiki and on this board, but couldn't find anything.) I found one of those new 380 MHz military trunked systems, which is somewhere in Virginia (http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=4676). The SysID is 14C. But looking through the Motorola System ID Report, I see that 14C is also used for a military system in Los Angeles and Washington State (http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=3856).

So I guess I've kind of answered my own question--I just didn't know this was done. Maybe this trivia is something to add to the Wiki...

Dave

FPO703

I believe these systems might be linked together somehow. Considering, they are all military in nature, and I believe the one in LA is labeled as 'Department of Defense'.....

dtscho

Database Admin
Even though they're across the country? That's something new to me. Just curious...any idea how they would accomplish linking them together?

Thanks,
Dave

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
When it comes to System IDs, from what I have been told by Motorola, the answer is no. However, an OmniLink TRS can reuse certain talkgroups that are not set to wide-area roaming.

73's

Ron

SCPD

QRT
Find out what the WACN is for the Virginia system. It may be different - in which case it is considered a completely different system. Two systems having the same sysid is somewhat like two persons having the same 7 digit phone number - but with different area codes.

-rick

jhooten

dtscho said:
Even though they're across the country? That's something new to me. Just curious...any idea how they would accomplish linking them together?

Thanks,
Dave

DOD has plenty of self-contained RF linking devices on very tall invisable towers. They are commonly known as satellites.

Or a high speed digital data land line link.

Or VOIP.

Just to name a few.

freqhopping

I think the systems with the 14C-XXXX ID belong to the Department of the Navy. On the east coast the 14C IDs are associated with Quantico and possibly HQ USMC.

One on the west coast has been associated with Whidbey Island.

I wouldn't be surprised if the systems in California are linking all the Navy and Marine Corps facilities from the LA area down to San Diego.

All the new 380mhz systems are connected to an IP network. From what I've found in the Washington,DC area some TX sites are not located at military facilities. Instead they are located at pre-existing towers (originally built for Cold War-era microwave transmission) and seem to serve as relays.

The WACN for the east coast systems is also the default BEE00. Any explanation why so many P25 systems, to include public safety ones all have the default WACN? I would think the military's would be different.

The JNCR systems are different- 580A0 for the 00#-0101 systems and 1B5C8 for the 001-#### systems. Despite the different WACNs there is clearly interop between the systems.

MMIC

DOD has plenty of self-contained RF linking devices on very tall invisable towers. They are commonly known as satellites.

Satellites will have way too much throughput delay to be usable in a Project 25 trunked system. The time between the initial ISP to request a channel, have that packet travel 22,000 miles up into space, then back down, be processed by the ZC, then sent back 22,000 miles back up into space and back down again, terminating with the OSP granting the channel would be on the order of several seconds.

More than likely, the federal government has an network using landline-based circuits to connect them together - if this is what is being done at all. There will still be throughput delay, but will be on the order of milliseconds instead of seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.