• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What's the best 800 mhz antenna you've used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nydxa

I’ve got a general question pertaining to 800 mhz scanning that I’d like to present to the scanning communityl. Our group, the NYDXA, publishes a monthly newsletter – The Urban DX’er. Several readers have contacted me for recommendations on what I consider the “best” antenna for 800 mhz scanning.

Personally, I’ve tried several and the best results have been obtained from my Sigma discone fed with low loss 9913 cable. While the antenna is very important, at 800 mhz the feed line can absorb much of the signal, especially with long cable runs. I’ve tried the Scantenna and was very unimpressed with its overall performance.

While in theory the discone is a unity gain antenna, it’s still out performing anything I’ve tried. To those of you who care to offer your suggestions or opinions, may I ask you to respond directly to me at nydxa@yahoo.com I’d like to address this issue in the next issue and direct responses will make the task a bit quicker.

I’ll also be happy to add you to the newsletters distribution – just ask!
Back issues are available on our web site at www.nydxa.org

Many thanks

Bob, WA2SQQ

paul34

For HH use, my vote goes to the RadioShack 800 MHz duck (20-283). I see significant performance gains on all of my HH scanners vs. the supplied duck.

For a mobile antenna, the best I've used was a clip-on cellular antenna intended for cell phones.

mlevin

I would imagine that an 800 Mhz yagi, with 9913 would work the best for a base station.

For HT, Definately go with the RS model.

Note: You don't have to post in numerous forums.

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
For my 800Mhz handhelds I use a Larsen SPDA15832. It's a tuned 824-896 1/2 wave dipole, BNC connector, with a right-angle swivel. I also have the Radio Shack model mentioned above and this performs slightly better.

wiliki46

800 Mhz antenna

I use the Seeker 800. It is the best antenna for 800Mhz. It is has gain and for other frequencies it works fairly well. It has a BNC mount and I use it on my PRO-94A.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Re: 800 Mhz antenna

wiliki46 said:
I use the Seeker 800. It is the best antenna for 800Mhz. It is has gain and for other frequencies it works fairly well. It has a BNC mount and I use it on my PRO-94A.

I have been seeking on where to find the Seeker but haven't seeked it out yet :) Anyone know where can I find the Seeker 800 on line? I would like to compare it with the radio shack 800MHz antenna.

jbardos

Best 800 Mhz HH Antenna

Ditto, I am surprised but my vote also goes to the RadioShack 800 MHz duck (20-283). I am picky about my HH antennas but this one takes the cake! :D

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
What about for mobile usage??

For mobile use, any antenna made for cell phones will work fine on the 800 MHz public safety bands. I believe bncantenna.com has some.

I sometimes use a quarter wave for 800 MHz, which is about 3 inches long. It works great on 800MHz, but poorly on the other bands. You can also find these antennas on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.