• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

AOR ARD25 - APCO25 Decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIP

I just called Grove, the price is less then $400.00 They received one 2 weeks ago and was shipped out to a reviewer. Monitoring Times should have their take on it shortly. Their distributor has them in stock right now.
We should be hearing alot more about these in the following days.
Now if we could only get trunking software to follow 9600 baud, I would be in heaven.[/b]

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

One question that I have is what is the serial port for? I assume it is for upgrading the firmware but I wonder if it can be used for other things.

73 Eric

lschmidt

This is what Uniden needs to build,an add-on decoder for it's non digital
recieving scanners with a BNC antenna connector.

N

N_Jay

lschmidt said:
This is what Uniden needs to build,an add-on decoder for it's non digital
recieving scanners with a BNC antenna connector.

The antanna port would not matter.
The digital converter would be driven off the discriminator output.

Depending on the design of the reciever it may or maynot be able to receive certain digital signals.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"This is what Uniden needs to build,an add-on decoder for it's non digital
recieving scanners with a BNC antenna connector."

They have an add-on decoder - it's called the digital card. It's been available for a while, and will never be available for their older scanners.

mlevin

rdale said:
"This is what Uniden needs to build,an add-on decoder for it's non digital
recieving scanners with a BNC antenna connector."

They have an add-on decoder - it's called the digital card. It's been available for a while, and will never be available for their older scanners.

:roll: :roll: What you mention, has nothing to do with what he was suggesting. The only reason this is worthwhile, is because it IS compatible with older models.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Unless your receiver has a 10.7 mhz if out and i'm not talking about a discrimator tap, but an actual output of 10.7 mhz from the if circuit like ar5000 and icr8500 and a few others the unit will be useless to you. So if you think you can put it to a scanner with a discriminator tap. Think again. :?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Agreed - my point is that it will NEVER happen. Uniden would not do it, so we'd need to rely on outsiders to develop a solution and it simply cannot be cost effective to beat a Pro96 or BCx96 scanner.

topcop1833

would this be something i could use with regaurd to one of my posts?

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10246[/url]

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Has anyone heard anything further regarding the availability of this device? I read the post regarding Grove above but there is very little information available when "Google'd", outside of the AOR USA website.

I just ordered a used AOR AR-8600 receiver, so of course the natural progression is to consider one of these...I have been diagnosed as an APCO-25 addict. No twelve step programs for me yet though.....I'll just get one more digital capable setup....no one will know... :p

But seriously folks, any updates on the progress of this interesting sounding little device would be welcome.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Followup: Ham Radio Outlet has the ARD25 listed on their website with a price of $399.95. Website is www.hamradio.com . Use the "Select by Manufacturer" drop down menu to select AOR. It's item #17. Stock status is blank but all of the items on the list appear that way.

Edit: And while I'm at it, it's now listed at Universal as well:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/06573705.html

KC1UA

Database Admin
I sent an inquiry to AOR USA regarding the operation of the ARD25 with my forthcoming AR8600. Here is a snippet of their very quick response:

"Regarding the APCO25 reception, no modification will be necessary to the AR8600.
What you have to to is to set the receiver in the WFM mode. Once connected to the
ARD25, the ARD25 will automatically decode signals. If the signal is a normal NFM signal (no APCO),
then receive audio (in the NFM mode) will be heard from the internal speaker of the ARD25.
Therefore, there is no need to switch the AR8600 to the WFM mode or NFM mode back and forth."

I'll probably take the plunge and try one out...any other brave souls?

Status
Not open for further replies.