• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden Vs Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.
:arrow: Does anybody know if the new Uniden Radio Scanenrs no longer have that bug that the old ones did?
I know that ONE of the selling points of the Pro-96 was/is the fact that it automatically tunes in the different digital transmitters out there. With the Unidens you would have to manually adjust for this from site to site.
Do the new Uniden scanners automattically adjust for this now or do yuo still have to do it manually?
8) 8)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
If you mean 296/796 unidens the answer is they do not have the AGC feature of the 96.

My 785 is still on the default setting with two 400 full digital Mot II systems and one 800 mixed Apco 3600 systems in my area. The scanner also has traveled 9,000 miles on the highway. I like the 96 a little better but both are great radios. The 96 only has 2500 miles on the highway.

That is it FMON, the Automatic Gain Feature. That is exactly what I was curious about. Especailly in the Base Uniden models.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's not a bug in the Unidens - it is a feature in the Pro.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
I monitor two 488MHz, three 400MHz fed, and two 800MHz systems along with several conventional P25 repeaters with my BC796 and I have so far had no need or want for this feature. Is it really neccessary or is it just another toy??

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
ECPD279 said:
Is it really neccessary or is it just another toy??

As I previously stated, even though my 785 has never been adjusted, the 96 does a little better. The feature is definitely not a toy. At least this feature can be toggled quickly on the 96 and one can read through several boards about the aggravation with the Unidens regarding digital audio clarity, which is the original inquiry in this feed.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
For some systems the single setting works fine, for others it doesn't. If you are listening to a CQPSK system and non-CQPSK it's a big issue...

LawnCowboy

I may be off here, but I think you guys have identified the wrong thing... you are talking the right stuff basically, but I think the AGC has to do with volume control, not the uhhhhh digital tuning... AGC is just suppose to keep all digital transmissions at a steady volume when compared to analog... it CAN be turned off and many seem to think it sounds better with it off...

the automatic tuning of digital systems cannot be turned off. The unidens do require adjustment to fine tune the sound quality of digital systems... I never was able to find a happy medium with my trial BC296 and prefer the pro-96 because of the automatic tuning. AGC basically seems to be a "toy" or added plus for those that like it.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Last weekend I made a trip to New Hampshire, which is loaded with VHF-HI conventional APCO-25 agencies at the state, county, and local levels. I have a 796D in the truck. I was EXTREMELY disenchanted with its performance. The audio level of digital traffic just about blew us out of the truck. I had to turn down the volume to the point where analog traffic became very difficult to understand. Additionally, the clarity of the digital audio varied widely, from excellent to horrible. Signal strength had nothing to do with this.

I like my 796D, but my PRO-96 blows it away with regards to digital reception. I was so disenchanted by this trip I'll likely sell the 796D or retire it to indoor duty. I've already socked away the $$ for the hopefully forthcoming PRO-2096.

lschmidt

Right now it's JUST Radio Shack vs Uniden.I'm surprised that other
established radio and electronics companies are not getting into the game like Alinco,Icom,Sangean and Kenwood also some of lesser known ones.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Because the scanner market isn't much to begin with... These companies would have to start from scratch and the development cost to go where Uniden has gone in the last 10 years (from no trunktracking at all to 9600 baud digital APC) would not be something that a company can jump into the mix now and cover.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
rdale said:
Because the scanner market isn't much to begin with... These companies would have to start from scratch and the development cost to go where Uniden has gone in the last 10 years (from no trunktracking at all to 9600 baud digital APC) would not be something that a company can jump into the mix now and cover.

Just to add to that a bit. Imagine what a digital trunking radio would cost from ICOM, Yaesu, Alinco and the rest of the big names :shock:

gatorhater

I'm leaning toward the Pro-96. The main reason is the battery set up, they use AA or rechargeable. The uniden has a better frequency coverage, but I don't like those battery packs that are overpriced.

Yeah frequency coverage is great but they have to solve that battery pack thing and the thing with tuning in different digital systems/sites.

GTO_04

Uniden vs. Radio Shack

I too am less than thrilled with the Uniden reception of digital systems. I have a 796D and it's OK on digital. But my 250D is another story. I have adjusted the digital sound quality until it is in low single digits, but in the car with the stock or a small (non-amp). external speaker, it is still unintelligible most of the time. It sounds like it is ovemodulated. And yes I have the inconsistent volume problem too. But I would be happy enough to be able to under- stand the transmisssions!

When I take the 250D out of the car and connect it to an amplified speaker it does sound better.

Is Uniden ever going to have a fix for this problem, other than buying a new scanner? I used to be a big Uniden scanner fan, but my experience with digital reception is causing me to reconsider that.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Pro-96.

GTO_04

kikito

Premium Subscriber
LawnCowboy said:
.... but I think the AGC has to do with volume control, not the uhhhhh digital tuning... AGC is just suppose to keep all digital transmissions at a steady volume when compared to analog... it CAN be turned off and many seem to think it sounds better with it off...

the automatic tuning of digital systems cannot be turned off. The unidens do require adjustment to fine tune the sound quality of digital systems... I never was able to find a happy medium with my trial BC296 and prefer the pro-96 because of the automatic tuning. AGC basically seems to be a "toy" or added plus for those that like it.

In my area, I consider the AGC as important as the Automatic Tuning.
Some users like to yell at the mic while it's in their throat and some like to use the radio while it's still attached to their hip. Those two scenarios cause the final volume output to vary a whole lot and hence a pain to deal without AGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.