• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LTR TGID Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
In monitoring LTR systems, in x-yy-zzz , yy is the LCN, yes? And if so, then when somebody posts an identified TGID of 0-05-105 on a system that has 8 frequencies with LCNs scattered between 1 and 20, the actual TGID is going to show up differently depending upon the channel that the user shows up on right?

i.e.

0-01-105
0-02-105
0-03-105
0-04-105
0-19-105

Those are all the same talk group but just active on a different LCN, are they not? If so, then the actual ID that one would record is just the last number, 105, no?

This is so confusing.

Mike

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
TGID does not change when it goes to another open channel. That is what makes identification of the ACTUAL LCN/freq so difficult when a 0-05-008 shows up on LCN 01. It still shows up as 0-05-008, not 0-01-008, Furthermore, 0-01-008 is a totally different user than 0-05-008, so each LCN can have up to 254 users.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
capt_clint said:
TGID does not change when it goes to another open channel. That is what makes identification of the ACTUAL LCN/freq so difficult when a 0-05-008 shows up on LCN 01. It still shows up as 0-05-008, not 0-01-008, Furthermore, 0-01-008 is a totally different user than 0-05-008, so each LCN can have up to 254 users.

Hmm, ok. I understand. Let me paint a scenario.

- have not heard anything on an LTR system for an hour
- suddenly 0-03-080 pops up on 472.3375
- system goes quiet (known from scanning freqs conventionally)
- later on 0-03-080 pops up again on 472.3375

The Wiki document about mapping LTR says that a TG will always use its home repeater by default unless it is busy. So is it safe to say that as long as there is absolutely no other traffic on the system except for the one user talking, then that one user must be talking on their home repeater - which would then equate to 472.3375 being LCN 3 (by virtue of 0-03-080 always showing up) ? Just started really monitoring an LTR system today, and that's the method I'm using to try and determine LCN order. I believe I've confirmed two LCNs today by seeing that when the system is otherwise silent, a particular 0-02-xxx ID is always talking on 472.1875 and a particular 0-03-xxx is always talking on 472.3375, making their respective LCNs 2 and 3 - correct?

Mike

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
I think you are generally correct about your assumptions. Sounds like a low activity system, so that will make it easier to find the main LCN's, but much harder to find the GOTO channels. Keep at it, and you will be rewarded with some interesting and frustrating experiences.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
capt_clint said:
I think you are generally correct about your assumptions. Sounds like a low activity system, so that will make it easier to find the main LCN's, but much harder to find the GOTO channels. Keep at it, and you will be rewarded with some interesting and frustrating experiences.

I'm hoping, both good and bad. Just getting my feet wet. So far it has been relatively low activity (no simultaneous conversations). I've seen probably ten different TGs on only two channels. It may pick up on a Monday. School buses and trash haulers seem like the majority thus far.

Thanks.

Mike

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Your yy bits are the group's home repeater. Each repeater in an LTR network has its own set of groups (1-250) programmed into it.

The LTR forum has a ton of information in it. I'd recommend browsing through it some time.

Also, please remember to look for the appropriate forum before posting your message. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.