• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for being so naieve on the subject, but could somebody explain to me what trunking is and how it works? I have a dual trunking scanner, but have never used the feature, and to be honest with you, I first thought a trunking scanner was one you mounted in the trunk of your car. I have read a little on it, but still dont understand. Thank you.

Riley Stanchina

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FarmingtonFire said:
Forgive me for being so naieve on the subject, but could somebody explain to me what trunking is and how it works? I have a dual trunking scanner, but have never used the feature, and to be honest with you, I first thought a trunking scanner was one you mounted in the trunk of your car. I have read a little on it, but still dont understand. Thank you.

Riley Stanchina

Hi Riley,

You should check out the following links:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

very briefly, trunking is a method of reusing frequencies since not all are typically active at the same time. For instance, if your county has a trunked system they may have 4 frequencies - Depending on the type of trunking system, one of those frequencies may be a control channel and will not be used for voice. On other trunking systems it is possible that there is no 'control channel'. At any rate, the idea behind trunking is that the trunking system knows at any given time what frequencies are in use, which are free for use, and who is wanting to use the system. Thus it is more efficient. A trunking system allows more people to use a given number of frequencies - it's better management of frequency usage.

Imagine if you worked for a company that had 3 separate frequencies that they talk on - conventional frequencies, not trunked. All of your employees use 'F-1' for their primary talk. If that frequency is in use they haev to switch to another frequency to attempt to call somebody.

In a trunked system, the system would keep track of that - and when you keyed up your radio to attempt to access the system, the system would grant you access to whichever channel was free without you having to tune to it. And in a trunking system there are 'talk groups' where common parties in an agency (such as your health department) are assigned their own talk group so that they only hear traffic from each other and do not necessarily have to hear the traffic of other talk groups. There could also be multiple agencies who share a common goal (local pds in your county for instance) who may have access to certain talk groups and no others. This allows them to talk to other PDs who are on the system but nto have to hear the health department in another talk group.

In a trunked system, if you are assigned to a certain talk group or select that talk group to transmit on, anybody whose radio is capable of receiving that talk group will hear your call. Then they can respond to you. And again it all works through the trunked system so that the frequencies are used efficiently and users of the system have more consistent and reliable access to the system without having to constantly switch channels, since hte system does that transparently.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.