• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trunking and Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Does anyone know the year Trunking and Digital came out ? Like this new stuff no more than 15 years old??

What about other Digital stuff like iDEN,Tetra,P25,LMR,D-Star are they 10 years old? What about Aegis,Astro ,VSELP,ProVoice,OpenSky are they 5 years old?

Well DES/DVP/WEP and Spread Spectrum seem to be new.

And why is Digital stuff so much better than analog ?

N

N_Jay

nec208 said:
Does anyone know the year Trunking and Digital came out ? Like this new stuff no more than 15 years old??

What about other Digital stuff like iDEN,Tetra,P25,LMR,D-Star are they 10 years old? What about Aegis,Astro ,VSELP,ProVoice,OpenSky are they 5 years old?

Well DES/DVP/WEP and Spread Spectrum seem to be new.

And why is Digital stuff so much better than analog ?
Trunking late 70's
Digital, all different times (What do you mean by "Digital)
iDEN (was MIRS) developed in the late '80's rolled out in '92-'94
Tetra a few years after iDEN
P25 started in late '80s, first set of standards about '94
LMR ??? What is LMR (Land Mobile Radio, '34)
VSELP as a vocoder late 80's, If you mean "Motorola Astro" then early 90's
Provice Mid 90's
OpenSky Late 90's
DVP/DES Early 80's (Maybe late 70's)
WEP??? (You mean WiFi?) WiFi Late '90s with roots back to late 80's
Spread Spectrum, I think the military had some in the '60s

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
D-Star is Icom's latest take on digital, and it's only been out a year or two. It's not compatible AFAIK with other protocols such as P25. Why they did this is completely beyond me.

73s Mike

N

N_Jay

ka3jjz said:
D-Star is Icom's latest take on digital, and it's only been out a year or two. It's not compatible AFAIK with other protocols such as P25. Why they did this is completely beyond me.

73s Mike

Oops missed D-Star.
Standard in 2001, and products about 2003.

It is not a iCOM development, it is a open standard developed in Japan.
The "Why" is answered in the wiki;
"Funded by the Japanese government and administrated by the JARL, investigation was put into finding a new way of bringing digital technology to amateur radio"

N

nec208

Trunking late 70's
Digital, all different times (What do you mean by "Digital)
iDEN (was MIRS) developed in the late '80's rolled out in '92-'94
Tetra a few years after iDEN
P25 started in late '80s, first set of standards about '94
LMR ??? What is LMR (Land Mobile Radio, '34)
VSELP as a vocoder late 80's, If you mean "Motorola Astro" then early 90's
Provice Mid 90's
OpenSky Late 90's
DVP/DES Early 80's (Maybe late 70's)
WEP??? (You mean WiFi?) WiFi Late '90s with roots back to late 80's
Spread Spectrum, I think the military had some in the '60s

What is the point of all those different ways of transmitting and picking them up.

I thought Digital is 0's and 1's and analog represents data in variation ??

N

N_Jay

nec208 said:
What is the point of all those different ways of transmitting and picking them up.

I thought Digital is 0's and 1's and analog represents data in variation ??

Please restate your question.

Provide examples of other technologies or markets where there is "one bast way" to do anything.

N

N_Jay

nec208 said:
I take it you are some company that wants to make sale:confused:

Hu?

Did you try giving your question any more thought?

Did you try answering my question?

If you have a preconceived answer to you question, why don't you state it directly so it can be discussed, instead of playing your "answer me this game!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Original question asked and answered.

This is not the Tavern, nor is it even the General Scanning forum. We will not abide this nonsense here.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.