• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TMDA worth it to Uniden/GRE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhoto

Is TDMA worth the investment to Uniden or GRE? I know MA/COM's new OpenSky systems use it. But I think the voice decoder from it might be another issue. I'm used to Motorola systems, so I don't really know the specific details of the newer systems. I know Moto also has the new MotoTRBO radios that use TMDA for 6.25khz spacing I believe. If they could conquer the voice used on the OpenSky systems, would Uniden/GRE look to add TMDA to their next line of scanners, or is it more complex than it looks?

Just_Me

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think the various mentioned TDMA formats are all different, so it would be multiple formats they would have to add, not just "TDMA". (Lots of work)

I am fairly sure that some of the protocols (mostly the voice coders) are covered by patents and copyrights.

Does anyone know for sure?

Dee_Dee_Dee

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
sad thing is unlike P25, motorola vselp, smartzone, smartnet, and johnson, LTR, MACOM Provoice you can't monitor opensky even with an opensky radio or so i have been told.

thank god i hear the system that have been installed so far have not lived up to expectations.

SCPD

QRT
TDMA is itself no big deal as long as the receiver can handle the channel bandwidth.

We will see a TDMA scanner soon - but likely not for OpenSky. I anticipate TDMA capability specifically for P25 Phase 2 sometime soon (years, not months). If MotoTRBO catches on, we might see that too.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Also, whatever format is used to translate digital bits in to voice will charge a royalty or will be patent protected. You can do whatever you want with TDMA but there are other parts to the equation.

I'm sure we'll see MOTOTRBO in the distant future. Right now it's not worth the cost for R&D and implementation in to a radio scanner.

SCPD

QRT
wayne_h said:
Also, whatever format is used to translate digital bits in to voice will charge a royalty or will be patent protected. You can do whatever you want with TDMA but there are other parts to the equation.
On that front, there appears to be some convenient overlap between P25 Phase 2 and DMR (MotoTRBO) - they both use the new DVSI half-rate vocoder.

n1das

wayne_h said:
I'm sure we'll see MOTOTRBO in the distant future. Right now it's not worth the cost for R&D and implementation in to a radio scanner.

We may be likely to see Icom and Kenwood's NXDN digital format in future scanners if NXDN takes off and becomes popular. NXDN is the competitor to MotoTRBO toward meeting the future 6.25kHz narrowbanding requirements for Part 90 services.

NXDN is FDMA, MotoTRBO is a 2-slot TDMA system. Although NXDN and MotoTRBO were designed from open European (ETSI) standards, it looks like Motorola did some customization of their solution (i.e., added 2-slot TDMA) in order to lock customers into using MotoTRBO gear supplied by Motorola.

With NXDN, you aren't locked into a single manufacturer (Motorola in the case of MotoTRBO).

Status
Not open for further replies.