• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programmable everything radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTbillybob

Premium Subscriber
OK...So I got a buddy of mine that has been scanning for a few years, but he is one of those that likes to thing he knows everything about everything...And so he begins on how he is going to get a TRANSMITTER, that is programmable for not only conventional frequencies, but also trunked...pretty much saying he will be able to receive AND transmit on anything from 140's to the trunked 800's. I tell him "HA! Your full of it" Trunked needs to have the radio ALLOWED into the talk groups. Can't just program one and away you go...Besides...nothing out there that will do this....or is there? I have $30 riding on this...he claims he will show me the unit...I say not a chance in hell....

Your input?

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Tell your friend he is an idiot and if he transmits on frequencies in which he is not permitted to, he is commiting a federal crime. Your friend is a retard.

Landman

Direct him to the website batlabs.com and let him read all the info and the discussion boards there. Then he will understand just how complex it is to program a radio on a trunked system. It requires many times as much work as programming a scanner to receive the same system as well as a much much deeper understanding of the inner workings of such systems than you average scan head has. Also enlighten him to the fact that Motorola systems (as well as other brands) require an encrypted file called a system key to program one of their two way radios to work with a trunked system. The system key is unique to each system and is usually closely guarded by the system administrator. Without said file the programming software as well as the radio itself will reject any attempt to program it on a trunked system. The latest trunked systems will also check the ID of each radio attempting to transmit on the system. The system will reject unauthorized transmissions. Most systems are also capable of sending a kill command to an unauthorized radio or even an authorized radio that has been stolen which turns that radio into nothing more than an expensive paperweight.

If he is wont do the research on batlabs and still insists that his radio works then tell him you wont pay a dime unless he puts his money where his mouth is and proves it by transmitting on a trunked system, which of course he will not be able to do.

Last edited:

LTbillybob

Premium Subscriber
Landman said:
Direct him to the website batlabs.com and let him read all the info and the discussion boards there. Then he will understand just how complex it is to program a radio on a trunked system. It requires many times as much work as programming a scanner to receive the same system as well as a much much deeper understanding of the inner workings of such systems than you average scan head has. Also enlighten him to the fact that Motorola systems (as well as other brands) require an encrypted file called a system key to program one of their two way radios to work with a trunked system. The system key is unique to each system and is usually closely guarded by the system administrator. Without said file the programming software as well as the radio itself will reject any attempt to program it on a trunked system. The latest trunked systems will also check the ID of each radio attempting to transmit on the system. The system will reject unauthorized transmissions. Most systems are also capable of sending a kill command to an unauthorized radio or even an authorized radio that has been stolen which turns that radio into nothing more than an expensive paperweight.

If he is wont do the research on batlabs and still insists that his radio works then tell him you wont pay a dime unless he puts his money where his mouth is and proves it by transmitting on a trunked system, which of course he will not be able to do.

HA!! That's just what I needed! hehe $30 fer me!!!

He is just one of those guys that likes to talk alot...then usually shuts up AFTER he fails. I met him about a month ago...though he was decent but as time went by....I think I just need to go my own way....First impressions lied about him! But I want my money first...hehe

LTbillybob

Premium Subscriber
K8TEK said:
Tell your friend he is an idiot and if he transmits on frequencies in which he is not permitted to, he is commiting a federal crime. Your friend is a retard.

hehe I thought I saw him on the shortbus! hehe

He would be one of those guys that would do something stupid enough like that to get into trouble....Just to try and prove his point.

LTbillybob

Premium Subscriber
Well ike I said...just met him a month ago. Seemd alright at the time....first impressions can be decieving. Ran across him in the Ham store...started talking....etc etc etc. It's ok....I am more into my horses than the radios anyway.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Actually you just might loose your $30 bet. There is a radio that can cover everything he said (I think except for the front programmable part unless government issued) and I think it is a Thales.

D

DaveNF2G

Medical helicopters have radios that can cover just about any frequency, but AFAIK they aren't trunking capable (yet). The manufacturer is Wulfsberg.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DaveNF2G said:
Medical helicopters have radios that can cover just about any frequency, but AFAIK they aren't trunking capable (yet). The manufacturer is Wulfsberg.
Yeah, he can put that in his hooptiemobile, because I am sure it runs at 28VDC

pogbobo

Last edited:

LTbillybob

Premium Subscriber
LMAO!!! You guys crack me up...hehe I already got my $30. HA!

OK...That's it for me.....He is a six pack without the plastic thingy to hold it all together. Started talking about govt conspiracy and aliens and.....SAVED BY THE BELL! Wife called...gotta go! BYE!

Gawd...I think he does have an antenna hat ...or maybe that foil pyramid .....

icis_monitor

One of our local LE agencies has the RT5000 in service, and they are able to talk to everyone from a Motorola trunked system on T-Band to the local FD on 800 and the CHP on Low Band. All from one radio. It rocks.

wlmr

icis_monitor said:
One of our local LE agencies has the RT5000 in service, and they are able to talk to everyone from a Motorola trunked system on T-Band to the local FD on 800 and the CHP on Low Band. All from one radio. It rocks.

It may look like one radio but the specs indicate that you're looking at more than one radio inside the box. IIRC they used to use portable Mot XTS5000 innards for the P25 stuff. I believe that's why they are talking about different modules to cover different bands and to cover P25.

Really think you're looking at one control head, not one radio. Just feels like one radio to the person in the air.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I can't believe this topic is still going - I believe I read it last week. :lol:

com501

wlmr said:
It may look like one radio but the specs indicate that you're looking at more than one radio inside the box. IIRC they used to use portable Mot XTS5000 innards for the P25 stuff. I believe that's why they are talking about different modules to cover different bands and to cover P25.

Really think you're looking at one control head, not one radio. Just feels like one radio to the person in the air.

I have an RT-5000 in my POV. Yes, it runs on 28vdc. Yes, I have to use an aircraft audio panel to interface to it. Yes, it covers pretty much everything from DC to Daylight. BUT, the EDACS radio I need is separate. The RT-5000 has a P25/800 module for the other trunking system I need. But, it will do AM/FM Wide/Narrow and very cool.

If you plan on buying one, plan on the extra dough for the tunable wide band aircraft antenna, it works very well. Also plan on spending as much for one as you would a 2008 Suburban. And buy the software, programming the head from the front is very tedious.

iamhere300

DC to daylight may be a bit of a stretch, but for most users it works fine. As one has pointed out - it takes different modules when you start talking about P25, and trunking, and it won't do all forms of trunking.

Basically, one wideband radio, with other radios that can be tied to it, up to two
different added modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.