Upcoming changes to Iowa radio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
With so many new agencies moving over to digital formats or NFM, I thought maybe it would be a good idea just to start a whole new thread to keep track of the upcoming changes and keep it all in one thread instead of having all the threads be buried in the archives and forgotten about (maybe Jason can make this a sticky?).

Current changes I am aware of:

Johnson County switching to a P25-IP system by RACOM and Harris... http://forums.radioreference.com/co...harris-deploy-p25ip-interoperable-system.html

Dickinson County switching to P25 shortly. According to the Dickinson County News, this will be used on VHF. The county is waiting to get radios for all 35 personnel before they switch over. The total upgrade cost is $150,000. Fire & EMS will still be analog. However I am troubled by this quote: “There are some things you can do in digital that you can’t do in analog,” said [DC EMA Coordinator Mike] Ehret. “The digital encryption method is almost impossible to break... Right now, in many situations, we have to use cell phones." The article went on to say that this will still be scannable with a digital scanner... so it is unclear if police will be 100% encrypted. I think I might do some poking around to find out since it sounds like they have finalized their game plan.

Also, in the press release from Harris regarding the Johnson County system, Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek says, "Harris is providing us a P25IP system that leverages existing radio systems and investments, provides us the advanced capabilities we need, and is compatible with the State of Iowa’s future statewide radio system.” I haven't heard much in the way of a statewide system, does anyone have any more information on this?

IowaBrian

Only way we get a State Wide system is if they get a FAT grant. There is no money in the pool for this they can't even pay for thing they have now so I don't see any State Wide system in the near future. They might want to hire the 100 ISP they took off the roads before they worry about a new radio system.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
If anyone was going to rollout a statewide radio system, it would RACOM. They already have the infrastructure in place, just need to grants from the individual customers to supply the radios and there ya go, instant statewide system. They need to work on a few dead spots in their system but its FAR more established than a system from the ground up! Just speculation here, but thats where my money would be...

IowaBrian

I agree it would be Racom if they did it, but I just don't see it right now. Racom can patch everyone on the system that is for sure. Just finding the money for 99 counties (not all would need them.. just saying) to have the radios just seems like a lot of cash for the state but you never know the Feds seem to give money out now like it is water.

bar422

I agree...the state has alot more other things to worry about at this point and they seem to have quite a time getting the money together for those. I was also told quite some time ago that the state is all Motorola and that is all they want,as well as owning all of their equipment, even though it may not be the right way to go. It is always about the money.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Yep, if the Moto salesmen have it in their head it will be hard to change that. Not trying to start a big debate here but it seems once an organization gets 'bought' by a provider its hell or high water before they let them out of their clutches. RACOM has a helluva lead on them, and thats their best selling feature but if the state has their mind set on owning their own and building it from the ground up they might want to see just how much it will cost to A. build it out in such a rural area, and B. buy the customers from RACOM who really have no desire to switch from one state-wide system to a new one! To me sounds like a lot of wheel spinning sponsored by Moto but who knows, the state has wasted money on more rediculous things!!

xmo

Here is another development. The FCC is seeking public comments on this petition:

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC 20554

PS Docket No. 06-229

PETITION FOR EXPEDITED WAIVER

The Iowa Public Safety Broadband Coalition (“IPSBC”),1 by their attorneys, and pursuant to Section 1.925 of the Commission’s rules, (47 C.F.R. § 1.925) hereby files this petition for expedited waiver to allow for the early construction and deployment of a statewide interoperable 700 MHz public safety system in the State of Iowa pursuant to a public-private partnership with RACOM Corporation (“RACOM”).

xmo

"...old news."
-------------------

Not.

The IPSBC/RACOM petition is dated August 7, 2009.

The FCC Public Notice seeking comments on this and related petitions is dated August 14, 2009. [DA 09-1819]

The subject of this thread is: Upcoming changes to Iowa radio systems.

If RACOM is successful in obtaining authorization to begin building out a 700 MHz network - that could lay a foundation for them to begin to transition away from 25 year old EDACS technology.

IowaBrian

I was saying 06-229 was old news that was 2006 for national 700 not stepping on toes sorry if you took it that way.
Brian

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI.... Clay ,Co IA SPENCER PD /FD . Has Quietly Gone P25 on Exsisting Freqs. Occasional Encryption.

Hmph. That caught me by surprise... they kept that pretty quiet indeed. Is CCSO dispatch and Spencer PD the only P25 channels? Are they unencrypted? P25 for Clay probably won't be a bad idea for when Dickinson switches over as well. I have heard conflicting reports of encryption on the upcoming Dickinson County P25 system.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Heard P25 on CCSO and Spencer PD last weekend, but wasn't in the area long enough to hear anything on any other channels.

It now looks like most of NW Iowa is (will be) P25. Sioux, Lyon and Monona and Buena Vista are the only holdouts so far.

JLM7424

Hmph. That caught me by surprise... they kept that pretty quiet indeed. Is CCSO dispatch and Spencer PD the only P25 channels? Are they unencrypted? P25 for Clay probably won't be a bad idea for when Dickinson switches over as well. I have heard conflicting reports of encryption on the upcoming Dickinson County P25 system.

I ,am affraid I dont live close enough to hear it and i drive a truck for a living so i,am gone a bit my friend
lives their listens on a 396t kept saying they would be talking then dissapear , So i would guess their just
Wrapping some of the cars up he's has told me he has heard Some Encryption he's still working on checking out which ones ara all p25 he's gonna let me know .

He's not real into RR and reporting and all, thats why i do it he just like to listen.

Last edited:

WQIR683

I've been reading the ISICSB website fairly often and have seen no mention of anything to do with RACOM as far as the proposed state system is concerned. Not to mention why would they have to go with RACOM when the state has their own towers placed around the state already in support of the existing DPS & DOT radio systems. RACOM wouldn't be an automatic solution anyway as you'd have to convince everyone to buy into service from RACOM or have to build out for a large number of console patches & link systems like they have between Polk County SO & Des Moines PD.

JLM7424

Reguarding Clay Co / CcSo.

They are Using P25 on the following Channels and Occasionaly the Officers Side Will Go Encrypted.

159.09000 Clay Sheriff - Dispatch (includes Fire/EMS dispatch) (P25) Multi-Dispatch .

153.77000 Clay Sheriff / Law Talk . (P25)

Re: Spencer PD.

151.28000 Spencer PD / Spencer Police Ops ( P25 ) Law Dispatch .

Status
Not open for further replies.