need iowa scanner info::::

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostnthecornpatches

Premium Subscriber
i've had a scanner for years,,but know nothing about the trunk or apco 25 systems...a few months ago,,, i no longer heard any of the local police or dispatch in osceola iowa (clarke county)... my local paper had a small article telling about them switching radio systems,,, said something about narrow banding and electronic engineering company would be helping them do so..... i looked up fcc license for clarke county iowa on this site and i do see 800 mhz channels,,,, listed under electronic engineering and racom...but i don't know if they have anything to do with the current recent change? all i'm wanting to know is what type of system clarke county iowa is now using,,, and what type of scanner do i need,,, if i just need a trunking scanner or do i need ap25 type .. if any of u have time,, i thought you could look up clarke county iowa info on this site and if you could tell me what kind of scanner i need to listen to them,,, thanks 4 ur time,,, sorry i'm so scanner stupid...
lostnthecornpatches of southern iowa....

jimlawrence

I may be wrong about this since I don't live close to Clarke Co. and can't hear what's going on there but it looks like the county may have brought up MotoTRBO digital voice. If that is the case, the bad news is there is presently no hobbyist gear on the market that decodes MotoTRBO. The good news is there is a software program, dsd, that will decode TRBO and allow you to listen to it with your computer and a sound card, however, you will need a scanner with a discriminator tap. Full details are available in the Digital Voice Formats forum.

I did a quick search and here are the frequencies listed on the FCC website assigned to the sheriff's office.
You could always put all these in your scanner and see which ones have voice traffic on them. Please let us know what you find.

lostnthecornpatches

Premium Subscriber
thanks 4 the info... i i've been trying to find someone here in osceola ia,to help me,, but no one seem to know anything about it....i recognize several of the some of those channels you listed...some are channels that i use to hear the local police on.... i'd hear the dispatch and mobile police cars on 155.0100 but i no longer hear them on that channel... i still hear the dispatch on 154.2200 when she calls out the fire dept.. so i'm assuming they haven't made the change yet...
i seen 800 mhz... stations listed under business trunking on the clarke county fcc page on this site.... so i'm assuming business trunking has nothing to do with my local city and county police??? i will research into you're suggestions,,,,

lostnthecornpatches

Premium Subscriber
thanks 4 the reply jim,,, i replied to u earlier today but my post never showed up,,, since i'm a new member,,, i think administrators have to read and ok my post before they are made public on here??? i don't know for sure...

so i'm gonna try it again,, i recognize some of the frequencies that you posted... 155.0100 is a channel i use to hear the police dispatch and the local city and county police on... but i no longer hear them on that channel...and 154.220 is out fire dept....i'll try the other channels you posted,,,but i think i already have most of them programmed in my scanner....

osceola is a small town of 5 to 6,000 people,, i wouldn't think we would have mototrbo but its possible,,, if i remember right,,, the newspaper article said they where gonna spend over 400k to update their system.... thanks again 4 the reply,,,,, have a great night and a better tomorrow....

timkilbride

Database Admin
I just happen to be going thru some logs from Christmas time. I do have a DMR hit on 154.0625. The monitoring location was Indianola so I can only assume this was Clarke County.

Tim

jimlawrence

Hi Lost,

I'm gonna bet, based on your description, that the sheriff now is using 154.0625 as the repeater output with 158.7675 as the repeater input frequency. Try monitoring both; the 154 MHz one should have lots of noise on it, the 158 MHz frequency, not as much noise. While it is possible that the sheriff may have moved to a business allocated frequency or system, it's more likely that he's on a public safety allocated frequency. Here in my area of Iowa, a county road crew has moved to a MotoTRBO system so an entity doesn't have to have a huge budget to go digital. Meanwhile the rest of the county as stayed analog (so far). Let us know what you hear, please!

Also, let us know what you hear as far as interoperability goes. Two days ago, there was a high speed pursuit that started in Keokuk Co. and spilled over into Mahaska Co. Fortunately, both counties are analog so the two county entities were able to monitor one another and stop the fleeing driver. I'll be interested to hear how Clarke Co. handles coordinating with surrounding non-TRBO entities. My guess is probably via LEA and 155.475.

Best Wishes,
Jim

lostnthecornpatches

Premium Subscriber
thanks jim,,, you're exactly correct,, 154.0625 is noisey,,, i don't know how to describe it but its a buzzing jack hammer like noise.... not like normal static... and 158.7675 is much quieter ....
i read on here,,, that the county to my south (decatur county) is using mototrbo... which is probably true cause i no longer hear them on their old channels i had programed into my scanner... but yesterday there was a chase in decatur county and i heard them on lea communicating with the iowa state patrol... a 16 year old boy took his sisters car,,, ended up in a 100 mph chase, then the boy wrecked or ditched the car and shot at 2 police cars,, 2 officers where taken to the hospital with minor injuries from glass....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.