DOT using IOWA Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed this?

The DOT maintenance workers in my area are using the IOWA Channel (151.475) as a short-distance truck-to-truck frequency.

When this channel debuted about 10-15 years ago, it was supposed to be for on-scene communications between agencies like law enforcement, ems, fire, DOT, and tow trucks.

I have yet to hear it used like that. Usually it's used to coordinate supper plans between troopers and deputies but it's been a while since I've even heard it used for that.

They do use it basically like another mutual aid channel around here, but a few weeks ago was the first time I heard the DOT use it.

It's not like it's an interagency thing -- all communications seem like routine comms between DOT maintenance units. Today they're doing some sort of one-lane road stuff, telling the unit on the other end when there are vehicles coming through.

Anybody else noticing this?

Terry1810

Premium Subscriber
I placed the frequency into my scanner. I'll monitor to find out if there's traffic in my area.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
I've heard it used for air-ground speed enforcement (Sac County) and (in Sioux County) between deputies on either side of an accident scene when they had to slow/alternate traffic. In Sioux, they seem to use it when they want to keep the repeater clear.

Also heard it used (rarely) as a random chit-chat channel.

timkilbride

Database Admin
The use around the state various for the IOWA Channel. Same for PORTABLE(155.850).

Newton speedway has a crossband repeater that links the UHF handhelds from the ISP to IOWA.

Poweshiek County uses it to talk to ISP.

During RAGBRAI it will get used.

Tim

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I have heard three state patrol conversations on it and at a different time two Muscatine county fire depts. using it at a fireground.

155.850 was used as a car to car in Muscatine Co. they are the only agency I have ever heard on it in Iowa.

IowaGuy1603

I have this programed into my work portable & rarely hear any traffic in the Jones County area. I also have it in my ham radios in my vehicles and again rarely hear it being used when I am out and about around the state.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I scanned that channel for years, and never heard a peep on it.

Now that I'm back in Iowa, I don't think my local agencies even have it in their radios.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Years ago and I mean years ago. I monitored a fire call involving West Liberty, Wilton & West Branch. Since WBFD was in Cedar County and the other two in Muscatine County, the only two channels they had in common was Fire Mutual Aid (154.280) and IOWA Channel (151.475).WLFD & WFD had 153.830 as fireground. WBFD used IOWA has their fireground to talk to Wilton's Chief. At one point they were talking about getting a tanker from City of Muscatine but the fire was out before the request was made. I would of liked to see what they would use as they were using a DMR system in town.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing that Michael. I don't know the exact situation, perhaps the DOT was doing some work with the County Highway Department or some other agency so that's why they needed to use IOWA. But it sounded like DOT only.

I knew that routine use between units of the same agency wasn't allowed, that's why it seemed strange.

The other possibility is that it was DOT units from other areas of the state and they didn't have a common frequency without using a repeater -- and this traffic (calling out when cars were sent through a one-way zone over a bridge) should probably stay off a repeater since it was very nearfield communications.

Seems strange that their radios didn't have another simplex frequency that could be used though if that were the case . . .

Anyway, it was interesting. Something you don't hear every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.