ISICS Sioux City

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattguzinski

Premium Subscriber
Are all talkgroups in ISICS Sioux City encrypted? There is nothing in the database just the site information. Im going there for Thanksgiving and do have a Phase 2 scanner. Thank you.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Inactive

I have been following this radio system, particularly for Woodbury County and Sioux City, IA for some time.

At present, the only Phase II talk groups are in Dallas County.

If you have a Phase II Whistler or Uniden 996XT, then you might be able to use Pro96com to analyze the system. I don't know whether this can be used to detect Phase II talk groups since I've never attempted to analyze such.

I have successfully analyzed P25 trunking systems with my GRE PSR 500 with Pro96com. At present, the frequencies listed show no control channels.

You could program the frequencies listed for Woodbury County in conventional mode and see which one(s) emit the audio consistent with a trunking system. There may be several or one. Make note of these and submit the information to RR.

You appear to have limited activity on the Iowa forum regarding this new system. Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited:

rdelao_16

Iowa ISICS Sioux City

Sioux City is currently encrypted on all Police Channels as well as Woodbury county. They are on P25 Phase II. There is a little bit of confusion for us who have P25 scanners here because some are able to listen to Sioux City Fire/EMS on the Pro-97 (I know someone who still can). However, I have also met people who said they could not hear anything with a Phase I scanner. Just from what I've heard from a few people here, P25 Phase I is still being used by Sioux City Fire Rescue. All it would take for them though is a switch from FDMA to TDMA as all of the radios have been upgraded. As far as I have heard from county/city employees and other sources, Fire/EMS will not be encrypted except for one channel.

Talkgroups were also changed around with the upgrade and there is now also a talkgroup for woodbury county Fire/EMS who are in the process of joining ISICS as well. This will be a long process and only a few departments within the county have changed to it but they are projected to upgrade as well. They will not be encrypted either.

Sorry this is so long but I hope it helped.

scanomaha

Iowa Statewide Interoperable Communications System (ISICS)
Woodbury Co. Simulcast Frequencies ::::::
still waiting for the databases to be updated as i have submitted the info back in December.

SYS: 04c9h
Vrified using Uniden Home Patrol 2 in "Discovery Mode" on 12/21/2017 8:35 PM

Woodbury Co. Simulcast Frequencies

859.7625 Control Channel

SYS:04c9h
Site:1-019
Wacn: BEE00h
Sid: 4C9h
Lcn: 1241
859.7625 Control Channel (12/21/2017)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Woodbury Co.
61736 - Encrypted
61856 - Fire/EMS Dispatch
61857 - EMS Tactical
61887 - EMS Dispatch
61888 - EMS (rig to rig)
63050 - Encrypted
63257 - possible testing channel??
//////////////////////////////////////

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Great Job

Iowa Statewide Interoperable Communications System (ISICS)
Woodbury Co. Simulcast Frequencies ::::::
still waiting for the databases to be updated as i have submitted the info back in December.

SYS: 04c9h
Vrified using Uniden Home Patrol 2 in "Discovery Mode" on 12/21/2017 8:35 PM

Woodbury Co. Simulcast Frequencies

859.7625 Control Channel

SYS:04c9h
Site:1-019
Wacn: BEE00h
Sid: 4C9h
Lcn: 1241
859.7625 Control Channel (12/21/2017)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Woodbury Co.
61736 - Encrypted
61856 - Fire/EMS Dispatch
61857 - EMS Tactical
61887 - EMS Dispatch
61888 - EMS (rig to rig)
63050 - Encrypted
63257 - possible testing channel??
//////////////////////////////////////

I'm am happy to hear that someone is attempting to discover new talk groups up there. When and if I return to Sloan, I will attempt to find new talk groups as well. Thanks.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
I don't see a submission for the talkgroups, only for the site frequencies.

However, I did go an add those identified talkgroups to the Woodbury Co section of ISICS.
I didn't add the encrypted ones as policy doesn't allow us to add unidentified encrypted talkgroups to the system. If you can determine who is using it, by looking at the radio ID's or some other means, we can add them as "Fire Encrypted" or " Police Encrypted" etc.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Doctorate In Crime

Sioux City is currently encrypted on all Police Channels as well as Woodbury county. They are on P25 Phase II. There is a little bit of confusion for us who have P25 scanners here because some are able to listen to Sioux City Fire/EMS on the Pro-97 (I know someone who still can). However, I have also met people who said they could not hear anything with a Phase I scanner. Just from what I've heard from a few people here, P25 Phase I is still being used by Sioux City Fire Rescue. All it would take for them though is a switch from FDMA to TDMA as all of the radios have been upgraded. As far as I have heard from county/city employees and other sources, Fire/EMS will not be encrypted except for one channel.

Talkgroups were also changed around with the upgrade and there is now also a talkgroup for woodbury county Fire/EMS who are in the process of joining ISICS as well. This will be a long process and only a few departments within the county have changed to it but they are projected to upgrade as well. They will not be encrypted either.

Sorry this is so long but I hope it helped.

It is too often that I encounter a police department with a cop holding a doctorate degree. Why in the name of God would they encrypt anything up there? The most exciting thing I've heard up there was the Tribal Police in Woodbury County. I feel for those who have to live in that area because it is a dead scanning location with plenty of boredom.

Last edited:

scanomaha

I agree... its pure BS that they encrypt the main law dispatch in Sioux City... and to top it off...I hear the police chief that wanted encryption is no longer there.... what a Joke!... Having many extra sets of ears does WAY more good than harm!!!! and having a police dept open & transparent is good... and by all means if they have a need to switch over to a secure channel, then they should have one for that reason...but not the main every day dispatch channel.... i will get off my soap box now LOL

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Bogus Reasons

I agree... its pure BS that they encrypt the main law dispatch in Sioux City... and to top it off...I hear the police chief that wanted encryption is no longer there.... what a Joke!... Having many extra sets of ears does WAY more good than harm!!!! and having a police dept open & transparent is good... and by all means if they have a need to switch over to a secure channel, then they should have one for that reason...but not the main every day dispatch channel.... i will get off my soap box now LOL

You will often hear them speaking about officer safety in their defense of such a stupid move to encrypt. I seriously doubt they have one example to cite regarding an officer harmed by a lack of encryption.

For example, in Waco, Texas, I recorded around 5 hours of the Twin Peaks Biker Shooting between the Bandidos & Cossacks. All 5 hours were in the clear. Not one officer was harmed! I rest my case. Rival biker gang shootings would like trump any criminal act that might occur in Sioux City, the most boring city on the planet next to Sloan.

scanomaha

And every time I read in the paper, or on the the news...they say the bad guy was caught and had a scanner in his possession.... LOL :) Think about it... HE GOT CAUGHT!!!! and if he was using the scanner to elude the law...it did NOT work!!!! ...he got caught!! LOL :) but they always point out that he had a scanner.... BIG deal...it did not help him elude the Law! ...in Fact, MANY times every day good citizens monitor radio traffic, and assist the law and it's like having many sets of extra eyes and ears on the streets.... by monitoring , many times the public can be a great resource in helping find the bad guy, or the stolen vehicle or reporting they saw the car the law was looking for.

Getting back to Woodbury County.... hopefully we get more input, and start identifying all the different talkgroups ...hopefully we can somehow identify which talkgroups are encrypted, and what agency...and make note so the database reflects what is out there.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Police Prevarication

And every time I read in the paper, or on the the news...they say the bad guy was caught and had a scanner in his possession.... LOL :) Think about it... HE GOT CAUGHT!!!! and if he was using the scanner to elude the law...it did NOT work!!!! ...he got caught!! LOL :) but they always point out that he had a scanner.... BIG deal...it did not help him elude the Law! ...in Fact, MANY times every day good citizens monitor radio traffic, and assist the law and it's like having many sets of extra eyes and ears on the streets.... by monitoring , many times the public can be a great resource in helping find the bad guy, or the stolen vehicle or reporting they saw the car the law was looking for.

Getting back to Woodbury County.... hopefully we get more input, and start identifying all the different talkgroups ...hopefully we can somehow identify which talkgroups are encrypted, and what agency...and make note so the database reflects what is out there.

Yes, a transparent PD would be too dangerous, particularly after the militarization of LE. When I was visiting family in Sloan, I discovered that the NG was "assisting" LE regarding targets on the ground, likely drug activity. CAP reportedly has a unit flying over south Dallas here in Texas from what I've gathered. South Dallas is a world drug market. Homeland Insecurity has certainly removed portions of community outreach programs for many LE departments. Now, they tend to show off their military hardware instead of getting to know the community.

What a way to build trust in a community.

Again, it depends on the department and the area of the country. For some reason, Ft. Worth, Texas has gone of the deep end with their secret tactics. Hence, I don't support any business there. I go through Dallas.

I feel for you. There are two examples where the citizens demanded access to dispatch channels and turned things around: Houston, Texas and Sikeston, Missouri.

After working in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for around twenty-two years, I can tell you many stories about how some were caught. Even the Connally Seven showed their stupidity during their ordeal. The planning of the escape was remarkable. They thought it out fairly well. Reportedly, they had some radios, but I don't recall if they were dot radios or scanners. In the end, they got caught acting stupid. Most of the time, psychopaths will brag themselves into jail. They love to shoot off their mouth about their criminal prowess. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/12/us/corrections-report-blames-guards-for-escape-of-7-in-texas.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.