Changes to RACOM talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
The link below is message I posted in the Illinois Forum about changes to Rock Island PD Dispatch on RACOM.

http://forums.radioreference.com/il...nd-pd-new-dispatch-talkgroup.html#post2834811

!!! Not sure what this was, but at 2044 it was announced that the Davenport site was back up and to go back to High Band (their name for the trunk Dispatch TG). Not what this has to them using 1600. Has Ft. Dodge State Correctional Facility dropped RACOM?

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The link below is message I posted in the Illinois Forum about changes to Rock Island PD Dispatch on RACOM.

http://forums.radioreference.com/il...nd-pd-new-dispatch-talkgroup.html#post2834811

!!! Not sure what this was, but at 2044 it was announced that the Davenport site was back up and to go back to High Band (their name for the trunk Dispatch TG). Not what this has to them using 1600. Has Ft. Dodge State Correctional Facility dropped RACOM?

Let's remember that RACOM's edacs system is being eliminated in the not too distant future.

Fort Dodge Correctional Facility is on a DMR system.

Another group that has moved off of RACOM is the Iowa HAN system. We still have the radio, but we also have an iPad used for communication with the state and other hospitals.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Let's remember that RACOM's edacs system is being eliminated in the not too distant future.

Fort Dodge Correctional Facility is on a DMR system.

Another group that has moved off of RACOM is the Iowa HAN system. We still have the radio, but we also have an iPad used for communication with the state and other hospitals.

I think the word "eliminated" might not be the one to use "phased out" is better phrase. There is no concrete date but since manufacturer support will be gone in the next few years we will see the entities being moved off to other systems.

Sisilija

Premium Subscriber

That uses BeOn which is on the RACOM EDACS system

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
That uses BeOn which is on the RACOM EDACS system
BeOn uses data, not the racom EDACS system.

I've never seen an iPad with an 800mhz trunking transmitter, nor do I have any way to program an iPad as such.

To put the final nail in that coffin, I have used the system, and it is clearly digital voice, which we're not going to get out of racom's edacs system, and I am not hearing that transmission passed over the network on the old HAN radio sitting next to it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mws72

Premium Subscriber

I've never seen an iPad with an 800mhz trunking transmitter, nor do I have any way to program an iPad as such.

To put the final nail in that coffin, I have used the system, and it is clearly digital voice, which we're not going to get out of racom's edacs system, and I am not hearing that transmission passed over the network on the old HAN radio sitting next to it.

Well looking online BeON is cellular through to a connection to your LMR system. It is definitely a digital interface but could be analog once it gets to your regular radio system if that is what it is.

https://www.harris.com/solution/beon-secure-group-communications-application

Your comment about the iPad as a trunked radio reminds of the transmitter upgrade for the BC780XLT. It ain't possible.

Sisilija

Premium Subscriber

Did I say that an iPad has a transmitter? It is all linked through EDACS. Strange that I can hear all of the traffic from iPads on the "old" EDACS HAN Talkgroups.

I kinda know about the HAN, Rob! :)

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Did I say that an iPad has a transmitter? It is all linked through EDACS. Strange that I can hear all of the traffic from iPads on the "old" EDACS HAN Talkgroups.

I kinda know about the HAN, Rob! :)
Ah, it appeared that you were trying to claim that BeOn was operating on the EDACS network, which is patently false.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I am wondering who is running/own the interface from BeON to Racom. Is this a Racom service or does who ever has the talkgroup do it in this case State of Iowa.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
There has to be an interface so who owns it (meaning the interface radio). It is connected at the network switch or a radio at a office.

WQIR683

I think the word "eliminated" might not be the one to use "phased out" is better phrase. There is no concrete date but since manufacturer support will be gone in the next few years we will see the entities being moved off to other systems.

RACOM already said they're intending to migrate to P25 with EDACS reaching end of life. Some of the migration is probably on-going like CIRPSCS for example.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
No, it's RACOM. You're thinking of ISICS.
(Sorry i used too many acronyms...)
You're right. Too many acronyms for this time of night.

I doubt RACOM will build out a statewide system given the vast areas where they have zero customers in their existing system, and the state building out a competing network.

Status
Not open for further replies.