Iowa State Patrol - ISICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if/when the Iowa State Patrol will be on the Statewide ISICS network?

It seems as of late there is less chatter on their frequencies in DSM/St Marys.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Does anyone know if/when the Iowa State Patrol will be on the Statewide ISICS network?

It seems as of late there is less chatter on their frequencies in DSM/St Marys.
Probably when the network is up and running.

As it stands, there is very little coverage.

Officers are properly equipped already, but the network isn't there yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I would mention my guess, but anything posted online (or said in a crowd) takes a life of its own and next thing you know it being repeated as gospel. But I would expect anything for a a couple of years.

autovon

Ø
Expect system coverage testing soon that will continue through summer.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Expect system coverage testing soon that will continue through summer.
Considering that some towers haven't even been erected yet, I imagine that signal testing will continue into next summer as well.

n0akf

They are wanting to do grid testing from April through Sept of this year. There are over 114,000 3/4 mile grid squares that all need to be checked to verify the system is in compliance. I think they are still shooting for summer to be done with the system. (Info from the 4/12/18 ISICSB meeting).

newsman04

I noticed this system is labeled as P25 Phase II in Radio Reference, but know sometimes systems capable of P25 Phase II don't necessarily operate in Phase II. Does anyone know if they plan to run all sites as Phase II or will some/all sites being just regular P25? Considering whether I need to get a new scanner or not.

I read on their FAQ which I assume is mostly for law enforcement considering to join the system that Phase I equipment will work but Phase II is preferred, so wasn't sure what they were doing.

"Question 5: What equipment will work with ISICS?
Answer 5: Any radio that is P25 Phase II TDMA, 700 MHz and offers AES256 encryption will be fully functional with the ISICS platform. A P25 Phase I radio will work but is not the preferred method of access."

n0akf

I have been told by the board that it will be phase II. I have been testing the radios for work since Sept, and have not listened in to see if it is I or II :)

newsman04

Darn, I was hoping maybe, just maybe, I would get lucky. lol. I was probably going to get a Phase II capable anyway just needed more motivation I guess.

No major encryption concerns with the system I assume? Or is that really known yet?

n0akf

The Unication G4 is just like using a Motorola/Harris type radio. It works - unlike scanners. As for encryption - I am not sure where you are located, but for the most part it seems like in the Waterloo / Cedar Rapids area all law enforcement traffic is encrypted. Des Moines area seems to not have many encrypted talkgroups. Looking at the IL statewide system it looks like most of the LE talkgroups are all encrypted. I am hoping not many encrypt, but I am guessing a lot will :(

newsman04

I know my local LEO agencies are not going to the state system, and are remaining on their own P25 conventional frequencies. They've told me they do have the capability to encrypt if the need arises but they have no plans of doing it full time nor have they ever used that capability to my knowledge.

I don't usually hear much ISP traffic anyway on the current system. I'll probably go ahead and get a phase two and hope ISP decides to stay unencrypted. Surely the statewide mutual aid channels will stay unencrypted for the most part.

Fingers crossed, lol

mws72

Premium Subscriber
The Unication G4 is just like using a Motorola/Harris type radio. It works - unlike scanners. As for encryption - I am not sure where you are located, but for the most part it seems like in the Waterloo / Cedar Rapids area all law enforcement traffic is encrypted. Des Moines area seems to not have many encrypted talkgroups. Looking at the IL statewide system it looks like most of the LE talkgroups are all encrypted. I am hoping not many encrypt, but I am guessing a lot will :(

Actually there is at least one PD dispatched in the clear (Marion PD) in Linn Co. Over in Illinois Starcom has many LE Dispatches in the clear. Some of the smaller agencies in the Chicago area are using encryption. But like in Lake Co they were using it when they had it own systems.

Dixon (IL) PD and Platteville (WI) PD encrypts the dispatcher but the cars are in the clear. Years ago when conditions were good. I would hear the Platteville PD (old VHF channel) cars in encrypted while the dispatcher was in clear.

All in all, It is going to be a hit and miss for areas that will be moving to ICIS if they go encrypted on Police Talkgroups.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I noticed this system is labeled as P25 Phase II in Radio Reference, but know sometimes systems capable of P25 Phase II don't necessarily operate in Phase II. Does anyone know if they plan to run all sites as Phase II or will some/all sites being just regular P25? Considering whether I need to get a new scanner or not.

I read on their FAQ which I assume is mostly for law enforcement considering to join the system that Phase I equipment will work but Phase II is preferred, so wasn't sure what they were doing.

I think those agencies that have radio equipment that are dual mode and are moving from RACOM to ICIS might be phase I. But any new equipment will be phase II.

n0akf

I hope they stay in the clear :) I know some of the sales reps really push it - add on $. The state contract price for encryption and a few other features is pretty cheap when you buy the radios. So long as fire stays in the clear I am happy :)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Considering that some towers haven't even been erected yet, I imagine that signal testing will continue into next summer as well.

The tower we have in Scott county has power according to the website. But I have not seen any frequencies come up in band searches.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
As far as lack of traffic, I think we underestimate how much is done via cell phone, texting, and email now. It used to be whenever an officer had ANYTHING to say, we heard it on the radio -- from 10-33 traffic to setting up lunch times. But nowadays I think MOST of the traffic is cell phone, email, or MDT (Mach). If there's no reason to talk to more than one officer at a time, most traffic that would have been encrypted years ago now just happens via cell phone or some sort of text to dispatch.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
from time to time you might hear a trooper request a reply via email.I know have. But don't forget that staffing levels are lower than in the past.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
There's a difference between powered and active.

In the build out phase, I believe "powered", simply means that commercial power is active at the site, which is likely one of the most difficult and time consuming aspects of the build out.
The tower we have in Scott county has power according to the website. But I have not seen any frequencies come up in band searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.