10-400

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
What is a "10-400"? I'd never heard of that until today I don't think. State Radio told a trooper that a subject had a "10-400 on file."

TIA,
Scott

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
10 codes are antiquated and need to disappear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Romak3

Banned
"10 codes are antiquated and need to disappear."

Why fix what's not broke? What should they change too...11 codes? ��

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
"10 codes are antiquated and need to disappear."

Why fix what's not broke? What should they change too...11 codes?
It is broken. There's no standard, and plain language is ideal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Normally I'd agree that 10-codes should go. But I wonder what they would do without this one. Do you think they'd actually say "he's a sex offender" live, unencrypted, in plain English over the radio? My thought is that if they had to talk about that, they'd do it encrypted or pick up the phone. Either way, we in scanner land would miss out. Not so sure I'm ready for ALL 10-codes to go away -- for that reason.

Romak3

Banned
10 codes. I just don't understand the animosity about them. To me they make sense. If you disagree, fine. I just saying I can see why they use them.

I here dispatch 10-9 quite often when the officer IS using "plain language". Codes are efficient, direct and concise as fair as I'm concerned. just think of your favorite fast food drive thru... "I'll take a number 6." Pretty hard to confuse that, although they do manage too. :p

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
10 codes. I just don't understand the animosity about them. To me they make sense. If you disagree, fine. I just saying I can see why they use them.

I here dispatch 10-9 quite often when the officer IS using "plain language". Codes are efficient, direct and concise as fair as I'm concerned. just think of your favorite fast food drive thru... "I'll take a number 6." Pretty hard to confuse that, although they do manage too. :p

Because they're not standardized and makes interoperable communication challenging.

Not to mention that federal funding for communications systems is tied to using plain language, as well as being required in the incident command system as well as the national incident management system.

What you think may be standard, is far from it. In Iowa, a 10-50 is a motor vehicle accident, whereas in Florida a 10-50 is a traffic stop.

Even ten codes that have the same meaning have different connotations based on location. One department may use 10-78 to ask for an additional car for a routine action, and other departments use 10-78 to ask for backup in an emergency.

The fact of the matter is that routine use of ten codes is going away, and it should be allowed to die.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Normally I'd agree that 10-codes should go. But I wonder what they would do without this one. Do you think they'd actually say "he's a sex offender" live, unencrypted, in plain English over the radio? My thought is that if they had to talk about that, they'd do it encrypted or pick up the phone. Either way, we in scanner land would miss out. Not so sure I'm ready for ALL 10-codes to go away -- for that reason.

It's not like that's widely used or even private information.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Here are my favorite examples of 10-code confusion.

In Iowa 10-55 is a drunk driver. In Minnesota, it's what a drunk driver sometimes causes -- a funeral.

A transplant officer from MN is said to have started to work for an Iowa agency and went "10-10" at a restaurant. (In Minnesota it's kind of like our 10-7). The dispatcher thought he meant there was a fight there and sent backup.

In South Dakota, they use 10-8 to mean "in service," just like we do. HOWEVER, it sometimes means the opposite. When SD agencies around me use 10-8, they mean they are on the assigned call and en route. When the Iowa agencies around me use 10-8, they mean they're done with what they were doing and are AVAILABLE for a call . . .

mws72

Premium Subscriber
When I moved back to Iowa after being in the Marines in California. I knew all the 10-codes (I thought). A Davenport Officer went 10-80 I thought he was going on a pursuit. After a couple minutes of nothing on the scanner I thought maybe he was on a different channel. Using my tunable receiver (I would not have a scanner for a couple of more months.) nothing. Then he came back on about thirty minutes later he said he was 10-8. Then I heard another officer go 10-80 along with a restaurant name and location. It didn't take long to figure out 10-80 in Davenport PD was a meal break.

Status
Not open for further replies.