Telemetry data on LEA (Area 1D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Somewhat frequently, for like an hour or so at a time, I am getting some data noise on the LEA channel in my area, 155.790. The data sounds very similar to SCADA telemetry -- you know, like the data that is sent by water well monitors, gas monitoring stations, and the like.

Normally, assuming this is just some sort of DX, I would tone up my LEA channel, and call it good (use CTCSS to eliminate all traffic on the frequency unless it has the appropriate CTCSS tone).

The problem is, the traffic carries the 192.8 Hz tone, which is the same tone as Area 1D LEA. (In my area the closest repeater with that tone is Terril LEA.)

I assumed that some nearby utility department has a transmitter on (Area 1's) LEA input frequency, 154.770 MHz. But I have been unable to confirm that. Also, the data transmissions are very short, so part of me wants to say that they aren't actually going through the repeater, since there's basically NO repeater tail -- that the frequency programmed in the SCADA devices is the OUTPUT LEA frequency, 155.790.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Do any of you have this problem CONSTANTLY rather than occasionally? That might help us track down the location of the SCADA data . . .

Thanks!

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
Seemed like I had read about this happening other places around the State but see you were involved in that thread as well so I guess that was no help but that thread has been idle for a few Months.

fredmertz51

Cedar County

My scanner locks on for extended periods of time to 192.800 also, at various times. I have it programmed as a regular frequency. I usually just do a temporary lockout so I don't know exactly how long it lasts.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing that was a typo. 192.8 isn't a frequency with anything on it. Like somebody said, that's within TV channel 10.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing that was a typo. 192.8 isn't a frequency with anything on it. Like somebody said, that's within TV channel 10.

Wait. You're talking about the CTCSS tone 192.8 Hz... aren't you? I understand now. You mean that even with tone squelch ebabled and looking for 192.8 Hz, interference still comes through on LEA, right?

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Later on I remember something about about what the FCC calls white space within the TV spectrum. A TV station can use the certain spectrum for wireless microphones if there are no stations licensed to their community. Don't know if they need to notify the FCC about such use. It would be like KWQC-6 in Davenport using channel 3 in the studio since the closest would be 75 miles in Ottumwa.. So if fredmetz51 if you are next door to a TV studio then you might have something. Though I think I have only seen channels 7-13 mentioned.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Later on I remember something about about what the FCC calls white space within the TV spectrum. A TV station can use the certain spectrum for wireless microphones if there are no stations licensed to their community. Don't know if they need to notify the FCC about such use. It would be like KWQC-6 in Davenport using channel 3 in the studio since the closest would be 75 miles in Ottumwa.. So if fredmetz51 if you are next door to a TV studio then you might have something. Though I think I have only seen channels 7-13 mentioned.

See for FCC wireless microphone information
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/wireless-microphones

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber

Okay, but we misunderstood him. He was talking about a 192.8 Hz tone, not traffic on 192.800 MHz.

fredmertz51

No tone

Just the hiss of an empty carrier or open mic. Not very important to me, just trying to help the original poster. Nowhere near TV stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.