First Student School Bus Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfavreau

Being as the First Student school buses have been running around in Wichita last week I would like to ask if anyone has their frequencies? I checked the database but all it has was for Durham School Services.

Thanks in advance

Being as the First Student school buses have been running around in Wichita last week I would like to ask if anyone has their frequencies? I checked the database but all it has was for Durham School Services.

Thanks in advance

Most Freqs for that are in the 155MHz area sometimes in the 460MHz.

Some use FM commercial radios.

NBW791

Not to be mean or anything, but why would anybody WANT to scan the buses? I remember as a kid I was annoyed by the bus drivers and the bus barn's radio traffic.

"Unit 1-9, this is base 3....Johnny will NOT be riding today. I say again, Johnny will NOT be riding today."
"Unit 1-9, 10-4."
"Base 3 clear."
"Unit 1-9 clear."

The whole "clear" thing used to drive me bonkers. How about when you get done talking, the other person will know you're "clear" because you're done talking.

And the "base" was always an obnoxious, loud, overmodulated voice.

dgruver911

Was in Wichita the last 2 days teaching and happened to see one of their buses drive by. Had a UHF whip on the roof so my guess is they are on a 461-464 business band frequency..

ddoorman

School Bus Freq

To: NBW791

When I was working (now retired) I would turn the school bus freq's on to get a current update on road conditions and weather. Now when the weather is bad, I will turn the school bus bank on and listen to same while I drink my hot coffee, read the paper and watch the snow thru my window. But every once in awhile you still hear about "little johnny..."

bosco836

I know in Southwestern Ontario, First uses 171.480000 . Not sure if the same applies anywhere else.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
Not to be mean or anything, but why would anybody WANT to scan the buses? I remember as a kid I was annoyed by the bus drivers and the bus barn's radio traffic.

"Unit 1-9, this is base 3....Johnny will NOT be riding today. I say again, Johnny will NOT be riding today."
"Unit 1-9, 10-4."
"Base 3 clear."
"Unit 1-9 clear."

The whole "clear" thing used to drive me bonkers. How about when you get done talking, the other person will know you're "clear" because you're done talking.

And the "base" was always an obnoxious, loud, overmodulated voice.

That was pointless...... everyone has their own thing they're into. Why would ANYONE want to talk on a Ham radio? "KVG8J" this is KH54H monitoring" hey bill how are you" I'm great tony just on my way home"....

Last edited:

n0lqt

That was pointless...... everyone has their own thing they're into. Why would ANYONE want to talk on a Ham radio? "KVG8J" this is KH54H monitoring" hey bill how are you" I'm great tony just on my way home"....

"Net control, this is N0LQT, I am watching a Wall Cloud on the southwest edge of the cell now moving
over the City of Halstead. No rotation at this time, but the formation is still coming together.
Movement appears East-north-east at about 45 miles per hour"

"K0WA confirms wall cloud east of Halstead and still south of 50 highway."

"N0LQT, K0WA this is KB0RWI, net control. Information has been passed to Weather Bureau and
local authorities."

"N0SNO is QSL direct. Sounding the sirens in City of Newton."

The only way to get to that level of ability is to practice and maintain the equipment to be used. The easiest way to do both is to talk on the radios regularly. Each summer, Hams have their "Field Day Event" at the end of June where they take their equipment, go out into the field (literally) and practice working to make contact with other Hams around the country under simulated emergency conditions. As an actual example, during the Northridge Earthquake in California several years ago, Hams were asked to ride along with Sheriff's Deputies for a few days because the county's "Fail-safe" radio system didn't. Fail-safe that is. The Sheriff's system crashed so fast that most of the radios never got the fail-safe instruction to change to an area common talk-around frequency. Ham Repeaters were the only thing working reliably. In that same event, Hams passed almost 1.2 million "Health and Welfare" inquires and responses from around the world into the damaged areas. Cell phones and Landline phones were not working in most of that area for over four days after the initial quakes hit.

Besides, sometimes it can be someone fairly interesting on the other end. In the time I've been a Ham, I talked on the radio to the King of Jordan, County singer Ronnie Millsap, 2 Soviet Cosmonauts, 5 American Astronauts and hundreds of other regular folks that I just enjoyed talking to. Think of it as an early form of the Internet Chat Rooms.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
"Net control, this is N0LQT, I am watching a Wall Cloud on the southwest edge of the cell now moving
over the City of Halstead. No rotation at this time, but the formation is still coming together.
Movement appears East-north-east at about 45 miles per hour"

"K0WA confirms wall cloud east of Halstead and still south of 50 highway."

"N0LQT, K0WA this is KB0RWI, net control. Information has been passed to Weather Bureau and
local authorities."

"N0SNO is QSL direct. Sounding the sirens in City of Newton."

The only way to get to that level of ability is to practice and maintain the equipment to be used. The easiest way to do both is to talk on the radios regularly. Each summer, Hams have their "Field Day Event" at the end of June where they take their equipment, go out into the field (literally) and practice working to make contact with other Hams around the country under simulated emergency conditions. As an actual example, during the Northridge Earthquake in California several years ago, Hams were asked to ride along with Sheriff's Deputies for a few days because the county's "Fail-safe" radio system didn't. Fail-safe that is. The Sheriff's system crashed so fast that most of the radios never got the fail-safe instruction to change to an area common talk-around frequency. Ham Repeaters were the only thing working reliably. In that same event, Hams passed almost 1.2 million "Health and Welfare" inquires and responses from around the world into the damaged areas. Cell phones and Landline phones were not working in most of that area for over four days after the initial quakes hit.

Besides, sometimes it can be someone fairly interesting on the other end. In the time I've been a Ham, I talked on the radio to the King of Jordan, County singer Ronnie Millsap, 2 Soviet Cosmonauts, 5 American Astronauts and hundreds of other regular folks that I just enjoyed talking to. Think of it as an early form of the Internet Chat Rooms.

Haha, thanks for the reply. I was just making the point that another user said "Why would anyone want to listen to school buses?" - was just saying everyone has their own thing they're into listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.