Looking for honest overall opinions on unidens home patrol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottk

Hello everyone
I have been considering the purchase of an hp 1 but have a few concerns,

I already own a bcd996t as well as other scanners so im not in dire need of a new scanner ,but i thought the easy programming , as well as the portability, were pretty cool features , I also like the extreme upgrade features, even though i dont like to spend the extra $100 to get them.

I have heard that the unit doesnt have , nor can you program, a delay , im not so wild about that , seems as though you would miss replies more often than not ,

I have also seen a lot of posts about other issues the unit seems to be having,

Im would just like to see if there are any hp1 users here on RR that could tell me for themselves wheather they are happy with the scanner or not ,

I would also like to learn more from those who are not happy with it, before i make a decision to buy one

I guess to sum it all up , should i buy or should i wait till more of the bugs are worked out of the scanner?

Any and all help will be appreciated as always

Ahead of time thanks everyone.

gunmasternd

Hello everyone
I have been considering the purchase of an hp 1 but have a few concerns,

I already own a bcd996t as well as other scanners so im not in dire need of a new scanner ,but i thought the easy programming , as well as the portability, were pretty cool features , I also like the extreme upgrade features, even though i dont like to spend the extra $100 to get them.

I have heard that the unit doesnt have , nor can you program, a delay , im not so wild about that , seems as though you would miss replies more often than not ,

I have also seen a lot of posts about other issues the unit seems to be having,

Im would just like to see if there are any hp1 users here on RR that could tell me for themselves wheather they are happy with the scanner or not ,

I would also like to learn more from those who are not happy with it, before i make a decision to buy one

I guess to sum it all up , should i buy or should i wait till more of the bugs are worked out of the scanner?

Any and all help will be appreciated as always

Ahead of time thanks everyone.

I dont have one i thought about getting one for like a bedside entertainment that sounded so wrong :) anything that you cant program with a computer or has keypad turns me off. or clip it to your belt and listen to it with headphones. its just not portable or usefull.

sure you can leave it on your desk at work or kitchen counter. Hell let grandma listen to it with some ease.If they were priced right i think it be worth it!

tipster67

I had two of them... HAD.. I personally just didn't like it.. Wasn't a bad scanner at all. But I prefer the Buttons I guess. I felt like a Newbie even owning this scanner. Was just a bit too simplistic. If you travel a lot, great to use. I tend to monitor mostly from my home. Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate the homepatrol. I hope this kinda helps you. If you have been scanning long enough, I'm betting you'll agree with me.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
I like mine, its in my truck and I have it connected to a multi-band radio shack antenna and works great for me. I personally like the feature of being able to replay and record any urgent situations. But the internal speaker is not good for a vehicle i had to hook it up to an external amplified speaker for it to be at its best

lep

I have 2 HP-1, a 996XT. 996T. 795D,785, 780 etc etc. I have pretty much any radio I want because I am fortunate. Of all my radios, the HP-1 is my favorite, it has an exceptional receiver with good image rejection and good sensitivity. Of course you can adjust the delay, that was 'fixed' some months ago. I use my 996XT for computer logging a nearby 700 MHz P-25 system to search for new Talk Groups. All my radios are run under software control with Butel programs. I have tried Free Scan but I prefer a program written by someone who has a business, not programs as a hobby. No, I don't want to argue the point, for those who love free programs, great, more power to you. I am a professional and I sell my services so I don't mind paying for services myself.

I think the HP-1 is, so far, the finest scanner on the market. I have tried GRE models but found them wanting and sold them at a loss. It is simply easier for me to organize my scaning around the models of a single manufacturer and I find Uniden support superior, mostly in the form of their decison to use UPMAN as a spokesperson. I have met W6GRE and he seems like a nice person but he is not a 'presence' on the discussion groups the same way that Paul is.

You asked, this is my answer, and is my Opinion, that's all. I don't wish to argue or debate my ideas.

fuzzmanks

Using HP-1 to provide audio to RR

I have 2 HP-1, a 996XT. 996T. 795D,785, 780 etc etc. I have pretty much any radio I want because I am fortunate. Of all my radios, the HP-1 is my favorite, it has an exceptional receiver with good image rejection and good sensitivity. Of course you can adjust the delay, that was 'fixed' some months ago. I use my 996XT for computer logging a nearby 700 MHz P-25 system to search for new Talk Groups.

I'm interested in getting the 996XT or HP-1 and using it to provide audio to RR. Would you recommened one over the other for my intended use?

Will I need the HP-1 $100 upgrade to be able to provide to audio to RR? I don't really understand what the extra $100 upgrade will get me. I asked a local retailer who is actually using a HP-1 as a display model and they were unaware of the upgrade option.

lep

I am not familiar with 'streaming audio' to rr. I don't listen to any such broadcasts, I only listen to actual things I can hear on my actual radios!

ARC-XT Pro for the 996XT is very flexible and fills about all my computer aide needs.

The so-called 'extreme edition' I have on both my HP-1, my original 'upgrade' was purchased during an initial offer (long since expired) to give a price break to original owners. I found it so useful that I ordered my second HP-1 from a dealer with the upgrade already installed. Since dealers set their own prices, the final cost is negotiable depending on your past patronage, it is best to shop around some.

I run my HP-1 using ARC Patrol. Because software developers have to sign an agreement with Uniden protecting the proprietary features of the data format, IMHOP, that limits a little the features of the ARC Patrol compared to ARC-XT.

The manual for the ARC Patrol, for the xteme edition, and for the Uniden software are all available for download. I have printed and bound PDF copies for my personal use as I am of the generation that prefers to read paper documents for resarch. not screen shots

Status
Not open for further replies.