New to scanners Olathe Ks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobwebberkc

I was fortunate enough to receive a Bcd536Hp as a gift. I have pretty much have had a blast learning about scanning. I have a question that I have not found an answer to. Sentinel software shows several olathe PD tac channels and identifies two as encrypted. Toaday (a half hour ago). I heard them request Tac 2 and my scanner stopped on it and stayed there for 20 seconds or so but no audio then it resumed scan and continued to stop on tac 2 with no detectable audio. If the tac channel is listed as not encrypted is ther some other set up or configuration I need to do?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

bctrainers

Hi,

Uniden scanners will never (at last check) make the encrypted channels audible, not without modifying the main board and adding in a discriminator tap. You wouldn't be able to hear anything that's audible on channels with the big E either.

If you're curious to know what it would sound like, here's an example from our counties fire-ground channels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0gRhWCNm0 (still never will understand why the fire ground channels were encrypted in the first place, but that's an issue for another day). That same scrambled audio / noise is what you'd hear on the PD channels that are encrypted.

We here on the boards generally keep the KC MARRS database up to date, you can view said information here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6916

D = Digital Clear.
De = Mixed Encrypted and Clear.
DE = Full encryption.

Bobwebberkc

Thanks for the reply

It seems I didn’t explain myself very well, as I know encrypted channels would be inaudible. Thanks for the link ! The question is if the database from Uniden indicates a channel is not encrypted shouldn’t I hear it? How can I tell it’s encrypted? Being new I was thinking there was something I did wrong creating my fav list. It sounds more like the database isn’t as up to date as I presumed.

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me get a handle on all this.

bctrainers

It seems I didn’t explain myself very well, as I know encrypted channels would be inaudible. Thanks for the link ! The question is if the database from Uniden indicates a channel is not encrypted shouldn’t I hear it? How can I tell it’s encrypted? Being new I was thinking there was something I did wrong creating my fav list. It sounds more like the database isn’t as up to date as I presumed.

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me get a handle on all this.

To be precise, Which talk groups are you trying to listen to?

A fair amount of talk groups on joco marrs I don't send to the RR database, as they are almost never used. And when they are, it's a mash of E and clear, which might be why you see what have you on sentinel.

On uniden, at the top of the lcd generally, if the scanner manages to hold to an active encrypted channel, you'll see it light up and flash "ENC". Whister generally shows an [E].

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
If you're curious to know what it would sound like, here's an example from our counties fire-ground channels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0gRhWCNm0 (still never will understand why the fire ground channels were encrypted in the first place, but that's an issue for another day). That same scrambled audio / noise is what you'd hear on the PD channels that are encrypted.

Apparently they encrypted the fire tac groups due to issues with the media. There were multiple incidents involving a certain media outlet. That caused them to say "enough is enough". That information came directly from a very reliable (higher ranking) source at one of the fire districts. Can't say much more beyond that.

Do I personally feel it was necessary? Well, I'll refrain from answering that out of respect for the forum rules. It is what it is.

As far as the Olathe PD talkgroups go:
31303-Main Dispatch (Clear, no encryption)
31304-Secondary (they run subjects and relay information they deem sensitive over this talkgroup. This one is fully encrypted).
31305-Tactical 1 (Encrypted)
31306-Tactical 2 (Encrypted)
31302-Detectives (Encrypted)
31301-Unknown-reported to be School Resource Unit. I've never heard any traffic on this one, so I cannot verify encryption use).

bctrainers

Slightly OT from OP at this point...

31301 is clear air. It is indeed the SRO talkgroup. Recall hearing it active this past fall when Olathe PD's SRO was talking to another SRO at Olathe South High School (if memory serves right). As you've even mentioned, it is rarely used. :)

31304 is sometimes patched into JoCoSo North / South during the night hours. Haven't observed them doing that since late fall. Common during the summer two years in a row now. Becomes a mixed clear and encrypted channel.

31305 is "channel 3" according to radio traffic, fairly sure it's not Tac 1.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Slightly OT from OP at this point...

31301 is clear air. It is indeed the SRO talkgroup. Recall hearing it active this past fall when Olathe PD's SRO was talking to another SRO at Olathe South High School (if memory serves right). As you've even mentioned, it is rarely used. :)

31304 is sometimes patched into JoCoSo North / South during the night hours. Haven't observed them doing that since late fall. Common during the summer two years in a row now. Becomes a mixed clear and encrypted channel.

31305 is "channel 3" according to radio traffic, fairly sure it's not Tac 1.

Sounds like they've recently added a few things. I'll do some digging around to see what I can gather for the database. Apologies if my earlier response strayed off-topic. Just trying to be helpful is all.

Bobwebberkc

I want to thank you guys. I have a lot to learn. Currently I have disabled my favorites list put in my zip code and have been listen to that for now. I think the biggest issue I have is not programming correctly. If it’s OK I would be happy to take some screen shots of the Sentinel pages of my Fav list. I am not sure if that is allowed and as a newbie I don’t want to get on the wrong side of the admin! So I thought I would ask first.

Status
Not open for further replies.