KSP recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmut

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to decide between the Uniden BCD996P2 and the Whistler WS1065. Which is better for listening to KSP? Which has the best audio? Any ideas about when KSP might update their system? Any info or opinions welcomed. Thanks.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I only have BCD996XT and BCD396XT, which are the older siblings to the 996P2, so I can't compare the two you've mentioned.

That said, I am very pleased with the Uniden scanners performance on the KSP system.

The news is saying the state government budget is going to be bleak. So I'm doubting any changes are on the horizon.

VASCAR2

I’ve programmed numerous Radio Shack/Whistler and Uniden Bearcats over the last several years. I like the Uniden Bearcat best. I use a Bearcat BCD996XT and if I were buying I’d probably buy the BCD996P2. My BCD996XT receives KSP really good when I’m close enough to pick them up.

whitty

Premium Subscriber
I have Whistler 1088 with an external scantenna antenna and live in southwestern Wayne co. and can receive the Columbia post as well as the London post. The Columbia post comes in better than the London post, even with the tower only about twenty miles away.

Helmut

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. One of my concerns is that I've heard that the WS1065 decodes P25 a little better and the audio is clearer. I'm not sure how true that is because I've not actually listened to either radio, except on Youtube videos and I doubt that's a very good indicator of the true audio. My hearing isn't the best as of late and sometimes it's hard for me to make out what's being broadcast over the radio, especially with the digital audio.I can hear it, but sometimes it's just hard for me to make out some of the words.

I mostly want to monitor KSP and I live 7.5 miles from one tower and 8.5 miles from another tower within the same Post. Also, I live high, nearly on the very top of a mountain, so I should have good reception.

Helmut

Premium Subscriber
I'm done researching. I decided to go with the BCD996P2. It's on the way. Thanks for the help guys!

Helmut

Premium Subscriber
I received the BCD9896P2 on Friday. The audio is very clear and sounds great and I have no problem, whatsoever, hearing it. It took me about 20 minutes to program KSP and public safety frequencies for my county and a neighboring county. It was very easy to program, but they were all conventional frequencies. I have one trunking system that I want to program, but I will probably just purchase the premium subscription and use RR and software to program it, as I'm not familiar with programming trunking systems. I'm very pleased with this scanner.

Helmut

Premium Subscriber
Btw from all the rumors i have heard from ksp they are building out a 700mhz p25 trunking system

Thanks for the info. If this is true, I wonder how 700 mhz will affect the reception in the eastern part of the state with all the mountains?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Btw from all the rumors i have heard from ksp they are building out a 700mhz p25 trunking system

I suspect that discussion about the Firstnet "thing" has morphed into a voice radio system. See: https://kyfirstnet.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx

I don't believe there has been much movement on this. Lot of political stuff to overcome as well as financial considerations.

This is intended to be a data network, as in mobile data terminals, to take the place of air-cards, etc. Only later on might it be a voice system.

Given KSP's relatively low talk-time demand, I really don't see any value in a trunked system solely for KSP use. Trunked systems are good for large metro areas where there are many radio transmissions and few voice frequencies so efficient spectrum use is necessary.

If you've noticed in another thread there is discussion about MetroSafe expanding their system to allow Oldham and Bullitt Counties to "jump" on their system. If there was any statewide system plans, MetroSafe would have caught wind and probably not gone to this effort.

There was an article in this morning's Louisville Courier Journal on how KSP is in need of more funding, even though the Governor says money will be very tight given the pension issue. KSP says they need to replace vehicles, weapons, add staff and overhaul their radio system. See: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...state-police-junk-cars-budget-cuts/897551001/

Helmut

Premium Subscriber
There was an article in this morning's Louisville Courier Journal on how KSP is in need of more funding, even though the Governor says money will be very tight given the pension issue. KSP says they need to replace vehicles, weapons, add staff and overhaul their radio system. See: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...state-police-junk-cars-budget-cuts/897551001/

Yep, I saw a very similar article in the Lexington Herald Leader, back in November.

State police short on new hires, guns, working cars | Lexington Herald Leader

pjtreds23

I didn't see the other thread, but I work for Oldham County and we should be jumping-in or piggybacking onto the MetroSafe system very soon. My understanding is that police and EMS will be encyrpted; I'm not sure about encyption for fire operations.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just the other day I noticed that I was receiving signal from the Oldham ASR site for MetroSafe where I hadn't before. I'm presuming that's due to the move to the WAVE TV tower.

I sure hope they don't go too far on encryption. EMS for sure for patient privacy reasons and some (but not main dispatch) police for officer safety reasons. For fire day in and day out operations, I see no compelling reason except for perhaps just one command type channel. There is still a pretty solid volunteer base out there and they have good reasons to monitor operations channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.