Hey Folks. Been trying to get the scanner working, and learning, but Can't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimchiman2004

I am a newbie here, and looking for someone who can teach and find a scanner and teach me how to

program it.

I live in Paducah Area.

I have been interested in scanner for years, but just can't get my head around it.

I am willing to pay a few dollars who can help me out.

Thanks.

kimchiman2004

Well, I am giving serious thoughts buying Whistler WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner.

I am mainly interested scanning, KSP Post 1, and Paducah PD, and McCraken County SO.

I did purchase many other police scanner before, but I had no luck figuring it out.

N9WA

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Paducah. Let me know what scanner you settle on, and I'll see if I can help you out.

kimchiman2004

Thanks for the reply sir.

I'm in Paducah. Let me know what scanner you settle on, and I'll see if I can help you out.

Thank you for the reply sir.

I have already purchased a couple of scanners in the past (Homepatrol Uniden, Radioshack Pro,), but

none of them I had a luck with. I couldn't program or I didn't know how to use it.

I haven't bought one yet, but I am willing to spend quite a bit if I can get a good scanner.

I am really serious about this, and willing to learn as much as I can.

I really like to get in contact with you as soon as I can.

Can I contact with you via Email?

This radioshcak website seems like it doesn't have a direct message or anything like that.

Just for the clarity,

I am going into Law enforcement, so to let you know I am not a turd or idiot anything like that.

Also, I am willing to pay you a little bit with the help teaching me and setting it up.

Thank you so much, and have a blessed day.

N9WA

Premium Subscriber
There are many helpful people here on RadioReference, so don't give up on the website just yet. People can't give you a step-by-step answer on how to program a scanner until you have a particular model in hand. It would be like someone asking "Tell me how to prepare a meal." The answer would depend 100% on what that meal was. Instructions would be totally different for baking a cake than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Most current day scanners will be programmed in a similar manner, but not exact. So, there is no set of steps 1 through 10 that can be given to answer your question. The most general answer I can think to give is that using a computer to achieve the programming makes things a LOT easier than trying to push buttons on the scanner like old times.

YouTube might hold some good information for you regarding the programming process for different scanner makes/models. Watch people work with the model(s) you're interested in, and use that to help make a decision on which scanner you're going to purchase.

Once the make/model is determined, THEN we can start giving you more detailed information, and you'll feel like your questions are being answered :)

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Do you still have the Home patrol? If so, which one? I have found it to be one of the easiest ones for someone to use. (preprogramed and all!)

Ron

kimchiman2004

Thanks for the reply sir.

There are many helpful people here on RadioReference, so don't give up on the website just yet. People can't give you a step-by-step answer on how to program a scanner until you have a particular model in hand. It would be like someone asking "Tell me how to prepare a meal." The answer would depend 100% on what that meal was. Instructions would be totally different for baking a cake than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Most current day scanners will be programmed in a similar manner, but not exact. So, there is no set of steps 1 through 10 that can be given to answer your question. The most general answer I can think to give is that using a computer to achieve the programming makes things a LOT easier than trying to push buttons on the scanner like old times.

YouTube might hold some good information for you regarding the programming process for different scanner makes/models. Watch people work with the model(s) you're interested in, and use that to help make a decision on which scanner you're going to purchase.

Once the make/model is determined, THEN we can start giving you more detailed information, and you'll feel like your questions are being answered :)

I have been thinking about particularly two models.

1. Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Scanner

2. Whistler WS1080 Digital Handheld EZ Scanner

What are your thoughts on those?

of anything you have in mind particularly for newbie like me?

As I mentioned,

I am mostly interested in Paducah PD, McCracken SO, and KSP post 1, and probably Marshall County

SO.

I am more than willing to learning, but it has been a hardship past few years without proper guidance.

Thank you sir.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I have been thinking about particularly two models.

1. Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Scanner

2. Whistler WS1080 Digital Handheld EZ Scanner

What are your thoughts on those?

of anything you have in mind particularly for newbie like me?

As I mentioned,

I am mostly interested in Paducah PD, McCracken SO, and KSP post 1, and probably Marshall County

SO.

I am more than willing to learning, but it has been a hardship past few years without proper guidance.

Thank you sir.
Personally I wouldn't recommend a BCD436HP for a newbie as there is quite a learning curve involved but that's my opinion. I own one & two 536's & they are incredible machines packed with features but lots to learn. You may have an easier time with the BCD325P2, Though I'm not familiar with the specific systems you mentioned, just by looking at the RR database, the BCD325P2 should be able to monitor traffic as long as the talkgroup isn't listed as DE (digital encrypted). Hope this helps & good luck with your purchase!

KD9KSO

Older RadioShack scanners nearly all worked the same way.

1. Manual-channel number-manual. 2. Program-frequency-enter. Repeat as needed.

If programming sequentially, skip the first step for the second and subsequent frequencies. It will automatically advance to the next empty channel.

It just doesn't get any easier than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.