• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KMC-9 with a foot pedal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
Calling all technical minds! I'm a full-time dispatcher, and I love having a foot pedal for my radio at work. I'd like to have a foot pedal for my Kenwood desktop radio as well. Can anyone think of a way I can wire a foot pedal up to a KMC-9C mic? It doesn't have to look professional, I basically want to move the paddle switch from the mic to my foot...I hope this makes sense, I'm fighting a cold and the medication may be hindering my logic!

Thanks guys.

n5ims

The circuit diagram for the KMC-9 microphone is on page 3 of this link --> http://www.radiopics.com/1. Manuals/- Accessories/Kenwood_KMC-9 Microphone (Manual).pdf

Is shows that the switch in the mic not only switches the PTT (transmit/receive transfer), but the mic audio as well. This would prevent a easy/clean external switch replacement using the mic.

You could probably get an external mic (standard 600 ohm unbalanced) and attach it to pins 4 (ground) and 5 (hot) of the modular plug and a standard NO (normally open) footswitch to pins 2 and 3 of the modular plug. If you have a foot switch at work, you probably use an external mic there as well so this is most likely the preferred way to do this. If you need to use the KMC-9, you would need to open the mic and wire a DPDT momentary switch up to replace (or duplicate) the functionality of S2A and S2B in that diagram.

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I just took the mic apart after posting, and didn't find what I was looking for. But now I'm thinking I may just go 'ghetto' and separate the upper mic housing from the bottom switch unit, extend the wires from the switch unit to the mic, and use the switch unit as my foot pedal. Unfortunately I would lose the use of my hand paddle, but that's not a huge deal. And, this will mean a simple modification that can be returned to normal state. Any reasons that can be thought of why I can't extend that 3-pin connector from the switch to the mic?

Thanks for the reply n5ims!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Is the KMC-9 the only mic or PTT source to the radio? If so, you could solder a jumper across the mic switch to keep it hot all the time ( palm mics are this way, the mic is never switched off). You could then tack on a couple of wires to the PTT switch and run it down to the foot pedal. This would give you PTT from either finger or foot.

radiofan1

What kind of radio is it? It is cleaner to take the PTT and ground for the foot pedal to the accessory jack on the back of the radio if it has one, and most of them do. Might need programming though. Still have to add the mic hi jumper in the -9.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
What kind of radio is it? It is cleaner to take the PTT and ground for the foot pedal to the accessory jack on the back of the radio if it has one, and most of them do. Might need programming though. Still have to add the mic hi jumper in the -9.

True. But if it's a newer radio, say TK-8180, you would have to pay attention to TX audio audio steering in the FPU to use the acc jack PTT, not to mention programming an I/O for PTT.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
Why not just use a DPDT relay hidden inside the mic housing and switch that with a foot switch? Use one set of contacts for your PTT and one for the MIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.