• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do you reprogram Kenwood tk7160

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper_Fi1182

I was given a kenwood tk7160 from a company i was working for over the winter. Im now back in Wyoming and would like to program in my EMS and fire channels because my old motorola is junk. I know you have to do it through a computer but what am i looking at cost wise etc?n And what is the program called i would have to buy? Is it cheaper to send it to someone since i only have the one radio to do? No clue how its done. And know of anyone in or near wyoming that can and will re program? Thanks for your help!

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood tk7160 program

Wish you werre closer to Ohio, I'd do it for you.
You need a 75 dollar program and a cable that sells from 15 to 100 dollars depending where you get it.
Cheeper to have it done.

Rick W8PRR

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Software is Windows based KPG-99DK and you will need the KPG-46 cable. You can get the cable for around $7.00 on eBay (check Kawa), the software is easily findable on the internet, or you can contact Kenwood for it.

Semper_Fi1182

Ok thanks for your help..used -out of the box but in new condition. still has plastic cover over screen how much are the 7160s going for you think? I have a second one I have no use for.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
A couple listings on eBay has the software selling for $24.00 (including shipping). So, if you have a computer, you are looking at $24 for the sw and $7 for the cable - $31 and you can change your programming anytime you want.

scanner10

hi i have a tk7160 radio i want to progrm i have the software and programming cable just un sure how to program my local 2meter repeater so i can transmitt and rx as i am a lic operator want to use this radio as 2 meter rig thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Specific questions?

There are so many options in these radios that you really need to decide what you want. Programming in the TX and RX frequencies and tones is pretty easy. Setting up the rest of it is dependent on your exact needs.

scanner10

program tk7160

all i want to do is program my radio so i can tx throught the local 2 meter repeater buts whats happening now is i put in the tx freg and rx freg it won,t let me tx throught the repeater but i can rx

N7AS

The repeater must have a PL tone for access. Find out if this is so by looking it up in a repeater directory. Then set the tone in the ENCode column in the Kenwood software.

jstigler

There is a PL tone required to access the repeater receiver. Look in the repeater directory of see if there is a local Ham that you hear who might have this info. You have the RX & TX but need this PL tone frequency. You only need to put it in the encode and leave the decode blank.

You can use Callsign Database by QRZ.COM to look up some of the locals you hear and maybe get to know them.
Johnny

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
i know the freg for the repeater has a _ offset and uses the 600khz

The negative 600KHz offset is the difference between the frequency you receive on and the frequency you transmit on. 600KHz is pretty standard on 2 meter VHF.
So, lets say you "hear" the repeater on 145.450MHz. To transmit into the repeater, you'd set your transmit frequency to 144.850MHz.
145.450MHz - 600KHz (0.6MHz) = 144.850MHz.
Some segments of the 2 meter band use a positive offset, + 600KHz, or the RX frequency + .600.

Don't confuse the 600kHz offset with the PL tone. The PL tone is a sub audible tone that is used to trigger the repeater. The repeater listens for this tone on the receiver, and only keys the transmitter if it hears that specific tone. This helps reduce interference from triggering the transmitter on the repeater.

PL (Motorola for "Private Line") is simply a CTCSS tone, or Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System. Kenwood uses the "QT" term, which stands for Quite Tone. They are all the same thing, generally, just different terminology. They are "sub audible" because they are (mostly) below the range of human hearing, so usually you won't hear them if you listen on a scanner. The repeater can "hear" these tones and will use them to trigger the transmitter.

While there are some amateur repeaters that still use carrier squelch, it is pretty rare. Most of the repeaters you will run in to will require a CTCSS tone to work. There is also a digital version, which uses a sub audible digital signal to do the same thing. These are called "DCS", digital coded squelch, DQT, Digital Quiet Tone, or DPL, Digital Private Line. They are usually expressed as a 3 digit number.

For what you are doing it sounds like, as others have said, that you need to set the correct tone on the transmit side. Without the correct tone set, you will not be able to bring up the repeater.

On the Kenwood software, you need to program your receive and transmit frequency. Then, click on the box for ENC QT/DQT. This is the "encode" tone setting. Encode just means it's putting it on the transmit side. When you click on that box, it'll give you a drop down menu where you can select the correct tone the repeater uses.

Do -NOT- set the DEC QT/DQT box. This is the "decode" tone setting, and if set incorrectly will prevent your radio for receiving.

So, what you need to do is either give us more information about the specific repeater so we can help you look it up and find the correct tone, or search for it yourself.

The tone itself will be listed in Hz, or Hertz, and will be somewhere between 67Hz and 254.1Hz.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.