• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2170 with issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymez99

Hi all,

so i have a TK-2170, and have had for about 4 years or so. In the past couple of years, i have had some troubles with it however.

Issue 1: If i do not turn it on for a couple of days, and then try to turn it on, it would seem if nothing happens. There is no sound or backlight, and nothing appears on the screen. However, when I push the momentary squelch button, i get a green LED, and if i push the PTT button, the red LED comes on and it transmits. This happens for about 20 minutes or so, and then everything comes back on fully and the radio functions fine.

Issue 2: sometimes it changes channels by itself. I am thinking the channel select switch is bad, but not sure.

If you have any thoughts on what might be going on with this thing, i would be glad to hear it. I love carrying this radio on scenes due to its weight versus my TK-5210, but when it acts up, i just cant trust it in a dangerous situaion.

Thanks for your help.

CCScan

Tk2170

Hi. I have repaired many of these over the last few years. Without getting long winded here, I will give you the short and sweet fix to a wide range of problems that affect the TK-2170 and TK-3170 radios. Please know that this may not remedy your specific problems. Disassemble the radio completely. Yes, all the way. Be careful unsoldering the top control flex cable from the bottom board. (This provides ground) Now carefully clean all metal areas that come in contact with the ground runs on the two boards you just removed. I usually lightly scrape them to get rid of the dull oxidation. Also carefully clean the ground runs on the circuit boards themselves. Reassemble the radio. Make sure the screws are snug. And don't forget to resolder the top controls flex cable to the bottom board before you reinstall the top board. (I still do it sometimes :) ). I hope this helps. Like I said earlier, it usually fixes a wide range of problems I see with these radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.